Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

New CPR Procedures

15 posts in this topic

Last night, I had to take my CPR/AED cert. According to the instructor, new compression rates of 30-to-2 will be implemented. He said AHA will be starting this within the next two months and Red Cross isnt to far behind.

The only thing that seemed wierd to be is that you have to speed up your compressions to complete the 30 compressions in the same time frame as if you were doing the 15 compressions.

Any one heard, seen, or want to comment on this?

Thanks

untill you have cert the new way, one of my youth corp advisors said to keep doing it the way you were first cert.

NYS DOH EMS has released a policy statement that you are continue using the "old" technique until they have reviewed and approved the changes. It will then be added to the EMS curriculum. AHA is preparing to update training center faculty which will begin in March. After that instructors will be updated and the new material is scheduled for release in June.

I just took a class to certify me as a CPR Instructor for the new updated version of CPR. It is now 30 compressions to 2 breaths. It is now universal for Adults, Children, & Infants. Also the general public that is certified in CPR is now not allowed to do the jaw thrust or check for a pulse. Because the AHA did a study and they found out that the person that was taking the pulse was taking to long to do it and was doing it incorrectly. Same deal with the jaw thrust, they did it wrong and it took too long. Now it is 30 compressions to 2 breaths. You do 5 cycles in 2 minutes. And within 1 minute you do 100 compressions. There are a couple other reasons like the patient was experiencing too much down time, and not enough blood was geting to the brain.

Here is the AHA website and a link off the AHA website to why it was changed and so on.

AHA Website: http://www.americanheart.org

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/fu...suppl/IV-1#SEC4

Edited by kfd-exchief

Good to know, they too bad theres no real way to get notified of these kind of changes. Guess everyones got to keep their eyes open.

Pretty much you get the updates when you update your CPR if you choose so. Most of the curriculums just have recommended renewel dates, unless its required by your job who will require it or if you are a certified or licensed healthcare provider.

The pulse check for a lay person was taken out in the 2000 updates.

The more compressions comes from a study that with 15 compressions, there is only approx. 25% of the blood volume circulating in 1 minute with plenty of oxygen not being utilized in the blood not moving around to be utilized.

well hello to all: i am an explorer in Cobleskill Fire Dept. and Rescue Squad, well when i saw this post i immmediately call a few reliable emt's/ paramedics and they stated that everyone will have to be trained before beaing able to do this, so does that mean i have to recert for CPR even though i just became certified with this "Old Procedure" in August of 2005....

Rich

"Smoke Eater"

IT is highly recommended that once the new guidelines are adopted by the DOH, that you take a new certification class to bring you up to speed.

To expand on what als said, the science symposium that released the 2005 guidelines came to the consensus that with a 30:2 ratio, there is a greater quantity of circulated oxygenated blood than with the 15:2 ratio. They actually determined that with the 15:2 ratio, we were only beginning to reach a good circulation volume as we hit the later compressions. With 30 compressions it allows us to "Get up to speed" per se, building up a good flow of blood, and hopefully increasing survival rates.

We'll also be doing 2 minutes of CPR before using an AED on people with prolonged downtimes.

And there will be LARGE changes in the AED energy settings and shock protocols. Your AED sales rep should be in touch with you in the near future about reprogramming of deployed units.

And the list goes on. The 2005 guidelines are by far the largest most sweeping set of changes the AHA has ever released. IT WILL take time for people to get certified and up to speed.

Edited by WAS967

Guess we'll have to come up with new accronym's to teach new medic students how to treat v-fib huh WAS?

The old shock, shock, shock, everybody, shock, little shock, big shock (which was lost when Bretylium disappeared). Remember that one brother? lol.

Looks like if SEMAC doesn't approve the new AHA curriculum in their May meeting, pre-hospital providers in the state will continue to utilize the 2000 standards until they meet again in September. Nothing like moving right along with new research and skills.

Guess we'll have to come up with new accronym's to teach new medic students how to treat v-fib huh WAS?

The old shock, shock, shock, everybody, shock, little shock, big shock (which was lost when Bretylium disappeared).  Remember that one brother? lol.

Looks like if SEMAC doesn't approve the new AHA curriculum in their May meeting, pre-hospital providers in the state will continue to utilize the 2000 standards until they meet again in September.  Nothing like moving right along with new research and skills.

just curious as to why was bertylium tosylate discountinued?? Having anything to do with the postural hypotension side effects?

just curious as to why was bertylium tosylate discountinued?? Having anything to do with the postural hypotension side effects?

I believe it was one of those drugs that was hard to produce because of lack of raw materials. Most manufaturers stopped making it back in 1999. And with the 2001 ACLS guidelines no longer listing it as beneficial, it was pretty much the nail in the coffin.

Interesting bit of trivia about Bretylium (tho obviously no longer useful) - it was the onle drug we carried that you couldn't administer Intraossioussly. Apparently it breaks down the bone marrow. Amazing what you learn at Pediatric Conferences. :)

And god yes do I remember those old learning mnemonics.

How about ONAVEL? Oxygen, Naloxone, Atropine, Valium, Epinephrine, Lidocaine? Guess we can change that to Oxygen, Atropine, Vasopressin, Epinephrine, Lidocaine huh? (For those who don't know - ONAVEL, LANE, etc, were acronyms we used to remember what meds can be given via ET tube. Vasopressin can be given ET as well. :) )

had no idea you could push Epi or Narcan through an ET tube.

66 are you kidding? I figured the alpha was for ALS....

NAVEL is no longer.

Now its taught as LANE only:

Lidocaine

Atropine

Narcan

Epi

They found that Valium was not absorbed as well as thought.

all i know is that im in an emt class right now and we've been told that we are not to use this new technique until remsco and doh has approved it for the ems provider. As i know now that is only for the lay person to give more of a chance until ems arrives.

66 are you kidding?  I figured the alpha was for ALS....

NAVEL is no longer.

Now its taught as LANE only:

Lidocaine

Atropine

Narcan

Epi

They found that Valium was not absorbed as well as thought.

im not a medic, just an emt who likes to keep everything up-to-date, espically pharmacology. I get my info peice meal, mostly from asking the medic's i work with questions ;)