Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Gowans-Knight Apparatus

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone know much about Gowans Knight fire apparatus? I know some depts. in the northern county (Croton-Falls, Pound Ridge) have rigs manufactured by them. I was just curious if anyone knew anything good or bad about them, or if anyone was willing to share info from experience.

Croton Falls has 2 Pumpers, 1 Rescue, 1 Mini-Attack, and 2 Gowans Rebuilt Appartus in service!!!!! Says something about them. Pound Ridge now has two engines by Gowans, and Bedford Engine 108, the Mack source pumper is a Gowans as well. The first MA 15 was a Gowans Knight, built in 1971 on an International Chassis..... also, Mahopac has twin Simon-Duplex/Gowans Tanker Pumpers. Here is what I know about them, they were at one point the local CT. dealer for Oren (Later Grumman) Dealer. They also at one point sold Bordman Fire Apparatus before Boardman was bought out by ALF in the late 1990's. They built their first fire truck around 1963 or three or so and it was sold to a fire company in the Town of Litchfield CT. (I think it was a GMC tanker) They do not build tooo many trucks each year, but the people around here that own them seem to like them...... Bedford Village's rescue was built by Gowan in the 1991 as well. Check out www.gowansknight.com and see what you think.

One of the things I like about Gowans-Knight is that they are a small custom local builder. That, to me, offers advantages over the big name "faceless" corporate fire apparatus manufacturers. The use of a small custom local builder has several advantages. You can you be more active in the manufacturing process since you can actually visit the factory more often, which a lot of the time results in increased customization. The smaller guys are often are not concered with quantity, but with quality and have more time to pay attention to detail. Often they take more pride since they are a local company in the apparatus that they build. Some of their more unique appatus designs, such as Kingsbury NY and Pound Ridge Engine 112, are just proof that they can meet the needs of most departments. Bigger....in the case of manufacturers...... isn't always better.

Not to mention using "hometown" builders contributes to a local economy and jobs.

Thank you chris & Seth for all of the info, i definately apprecite it! I was checking out thier webpage and i came across Croton Falls Chiefs car. I really like the "pull-out" cargo area on that Explorer, that makes it soo much easier to access equipment and keep things a bit more organized! And chris, i didn't realize how much Pound Ridge had used Gowans, so that definately says something about them! And as Seth said, i definately like the idea of them being a local company for all the reasons that Seth had stated! The last rig we purchased (2003 E-One) was built in Florida, and our apparatus committee only got the chance to visit/tour the E-One plant once. Having a rig built more locally opens up so many more doors for a fire department. Its soo much nicer to be able to see the rig being built as often as possible, rather than once or twice. This way, you can keep updated on the progress of the rig, plus any ideas you may have to upgrade/customize the rig, would be easier to accomplish when youo can actually see the rig. Anyway, thank you guys for your quick response to my post and all of the info on Gowans! It will be interesting to see if any other Westchester depts. decide to use them in the near future!

Somers also had 3 Gowans-Knights delivered in 1975, 1978 and 1979. They were Engine's 180, 185 and 186. I don't quite know why we went away from them :-k

In fact the Mahopac rigs were built using the Somers specs, and one or maybe both currently have doors from Engine 185 and 186. Both 185 and 186 were rebuilt by Pierce in 1990-1991, and we stripped everything off them! Mahopac's doors were rotting out, and we gave them ours! So if you look closely enough, under the Indian Heads are Elephants! 8)

If your ever in the Somers Fire House, the home of Engine Co 180, aka Heritage Hose, there is a framed calander from 1976 from Gowans-Knight featuring the old E-180 on it. =D>

"After reviewing the web site, The Mahopac rigs I'm speaking of were the old Oren's which were also Gowans, not the newer Simon-Duplex's!"

I will agree that Gowans-Knight builds fantastic trucks. Our two tankers are 10 years old and still look like they just came off the assembly line. Thier paint job cannot be beat. Gowans has done the following trucks for us.

1970 Dodge Brush Truck, sold in late 90's to an upstate department

1992 Tanker Pumper (18-4-1 HQ Tanker)

1994 Tanker Pumper (18-4-2 STA 2 Tanker)

Refurb

1985 Hahn/Saulsbury Rescue

They were also the dealer from which we brought a majority of our fleet in the last 25 years

2 1977 Oren Pumpers (Both Refurbed in 1989 by Gowans)

1 1976 LTI Tower Ladder (Refurbed several times by Gowans) Sold to Kingsbury VFC in Washington County (another GK customer)

1 1972 Oren Tanker

1 1966 Oren Pumper

Craig Palmer and Frank Johns will work with you on designing what you want and need. They are following in the ways set by Craigs father Clark when he ran the company. We are about to replace the first of the two 1977 Orens and we looked to GK to continue the tradition. Unfortunatly we were not happy with either the Spartan or HME chassis's they offer. If Simon Duplex were still around we would have a GK for sure.

Also in Putnam County, Putnam Lake FD has several GK refurbs and new apparatus.

p.s. Res20Cue, we still have the door skins from 185 back when you turned proud Orens into Pierces. We have used most of the door guts over the years as parts have been harder to find, but you won't find any elephants hiding behind the Indians. :-P

EJS1810

Ex-Chief

Mahopac VFD

Well Ed,

If you used the parts from our Orens, then your Orens do have "elephants" hiding behing the "Indian Heads"!! :D

GK does excellent work, they have refurbed several of our Engines in Bethel Ct.

there service is great. craig Palmer is the man to talk to there.

GK is probably one of the best companies, if not the best. Maybe i am inpartial to them. They have had a hand in almost every piece of appartus we have. They also are in the process of building a new spartan gladiator engine. The best part about GK is the customer service. Anything goes wrong and the fix it. We have had new, rebuilt. The are excelent. Any futher gquestoins please ask.

Croton Falls is getting a new engine? Is it going to be like Engine 149?

Yes similar, but completly different

Yes they do,, they have several differnt print for tankers, they will also build a custom rig if thats what you are looking for, again Graig Palmer is the man to talk to. FYI Danbury Ct's King St. volunteer's had a tanker built by GK

Go back to sleep, Jeff!!!!! The new Engine 148 has been in service since 12/22/2004!!! Beautiful rig! maybe if you would stop by sometime you could take a look at it. BUT only a look since you are'n't a member anymore! Seriously though, 148 is in service with a whole bunch of guys qualified on it since the day it arrived. I will say Gowans Knight does take a lot of pride in everything they do.