Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

Vista's "Quick Attack"

7 posts in this topic

As i came across the GMC Topkick that Vista owns, i noticed it was called a quick attack and not a mini attack. It also seems to hold quite a bit more water than that of a mini attack with a 500 gallon tank, almost as much as an engine. Another thing is that this truck carries the jaws on it as well, making it a rescue. Does anyone how or what this truck is classified under in Westchester County (I didnt see it listed on the full roster sheet) and how it came about to be called the "quick attack"?

It's called the quick attack due to its versatility....it can fight small fires, respond to MVA's, and be used for almost all purposes. It's size makes it very maneuvarable. It's quite the piece of equipment.

I got your back....vista's "QA2" (quick attack 2) is registered as "Rescue 13" as per county roster. it says " 13. VISTA - LIGHT (QA)" under the rescue subtitle. light meaning it is under "light rescue" as aposed to heavy rescue.

and my best guess on why they call it that....ummmm....lets see....i guess they didnt know what else to call it because really it is an engine, a rescue, and an attack truck all in one....to be honest though, i have not a clue.

hope that helps ya graham

http://www.vistafd.org/qa2.htm

Edited by Firefighter57

hey guys i'm actually the foreman of this rig, this is actually called the Quick Attack 2, before this truck there was another rig that members gave an unofficial name of quick attack, however this is our rescue truck it is a light rescue, 500 gallons with 250 gpm pump, it does have a brand new set of holmatros as you said it it the first rig to go on extrication calls and 2nd after the ambulance on MVA's, however because it is so small and we have alot more quilified people Rescue 13 rolls to just about every call it can other then EMS runs

Does anyone how or what this truck is classified under in Westchester County (I didnt see it listed on the full roster sheet) and how it came about to be called the "quick attack"?

The Westchester County "Quick Attack" or "QA" designation originated in 1987. The theory of the designation is a vehicle that has all purpose, quick knock down capabilities.

The first vehicle in the county to receive this title was Somers "QA 1" (more affectionately known as Quack Attack 1). This was a 1997 Ford F350 chassis with a utility body. In the bed was a skid unit that was nothing more than a giant fire extinguisher. If memory serves me correctly, it consisted of a 300 gallon water tank, a 500 pound ABC dry chemical tank and a 50 gallon foam tank.

The unique thing about this set up is there was not pump! The fire extinguishing agents were powered by compressed nitrogen for the dry chem and compressed air for the water, water/foam mix. The suppression was delivered by a twin set of 1 inch booster hoses fused together. The theory was to knock the fire down with a quick shot of dry chem, then cool it off with the water, water/foam mix.

Coupled with the extinguishing capabilities of this one of a kind vehicle was it carried a Hurst rescue tool. This would provide endless uses for this vehicle. It could deliver "quick" rescue capabilities and fire suppression in a nice small, easy to maneuver package.

I guess Vista like what they saw so much that QA 2 was born. The major difference is the conventional fire suppression package.

Fortunately the QA designation is now defunct and the county now uses more conventional identifiers.

Edited by TRUCK6018

The Old "Quack Attack" (minus the skid package) is the current Utility 5.