Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

Then vs. Now, which is better?

6 posts in this topic

Over the years technology has advanced and so has the apparatus we work with on a day to day basis. So i come asking these questions: Cabs- The enclosed/heated cabs with seating for larger crews or the much more "fun" jumper seat half cabs? How about lights? The LEDs and super strobes of today (which seem to hurt your eyes a lot more) or the old school rotating beacons? Telescoping light towers or searchlights? Doors and mirrors- Roll ups and back up cameras or lock and handle and side mirrors? Sirens and horns- Electronic or mechanical and air horns? Which do you think are better now a days, and vice versa.

Over the years technology has advanced and so has the apparatus we work with on a day to day basis. So i come asking these questions: Cabs- The enclosed/heated cabs with seating for larger crews or the much more "fun" jumper seat half cabs? How about lights? The LEDs and super strobes of today (which seem to hurt your eyes a lot more) or the old school rotating beacons? Telescoping light  towers or searchlights? Doors and mirrors- Roll ups and back up cameras or lock and handle and side mirrors? Sirens and horns- Electronic or mechanical and air horns? Which do you think are better now a days, and vice versa.

All I can tell you is we have a 1991 Pierce Lance engine and since the day we recieved it we have nothing but electrical problems with it including stalling at idle speed. This replaced a 1973 MAck CF 700 which was a great rig and had very little problems.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthrorne FD

I'd have to say fully enclosed cabs, rotating beacons, roll up doors, telescoping light towers and mechanical sirens and horns (the EQ2B sounds like some kind of dying animal) and windows as opposed to back up cameras

Today's apparatus far exceed the operational capability of the predesessors. Many of the older apparatus yes were like tanks, and seemed to have less "bugs" then the newer ones, but that is mixing apples with oranges, and many of the safety systems incorporated today weren't available then.

Much of the electrical problems today is caused by the amount of electric operated systems we utilize. Couple all those connections with the vibrations, corrosion from generally being exposed to the elements and for us road salt. Add in all the systems to make pump operations easier, pressure goveners, load managers, computers, electric transfer valves, electric motor valve openers for intakes and discharges, you name it. Thats doesn't even add the amount of rechargable equipment we plug into these systems. A lot more then the 70's and early 80's with your lighting, a radio, some handlights weren't even chargable, and if you had a 2 stage pump the transfer valve.

Enclosed cabs can be attributed to saving hundreds of firefighter lives since they have been required. They are not fun at any moment, particularly in the winter.

LED's, add to safety and reduce draw on the electic system. Lights, both. Generator a must on every apparatus. siren, could care less. Mirrors, don't know what you mean but they are on every truck...electric controlled is a huge plus so the driver can adjust the mirrors if he is by himself and stay in the seat.

We just finished inspecting out new Smeal midmount rescue pumper and it's pretty much the same as or faithful 1981 ALF Century with updates.

Obviously an enclosed cab is better especially for rehab since all trucks come with heat and AC. I'll miss standing in the jump seats though a saftey hazard, feeling the air horn "hit you in the chest" when they are working. Ever since Waterbury CT lost 2 guys in a horrible crash back in the late 80's, one guy was thrown from the jumpseat area standing, a lot of guys up here eventually stopped the practice. Closed cabs were a good manditory change.

The old ALF had a federal twinsonic light bar, electronic siren in the bar and of course a 2QB. The rear rotators were removed (the old Whelen three "bubble glass" rotators, and replaced with strobes. Also there were no front warning lights so two strobes with a pack were added in the late 80's. The new truck has front and rear rotators and LED for pirimiter lights. We still have air horns, electronic siren and a 2QB.

I think the way electrical loads are handled now are extremely better thatn those from old trucks, but at the same token, not much was needed back then compared to NFPA 1901 now.

The only thing that I cannot stand is the new multiplexing sytems. So far everyone who has it, no matter what truck manufacturer has had problems with them.

All I can tell you is we have a 1991 Pierce Lance engine and since the day we recieved it we have nothing but electrical problems with it including stalling at idle speed. This replaced a 1973 MAck CF 700 which was a great rig and had very little problems.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthrorne FD

Can you show a pic possible of the pierce lance cause Hastings has a Pierce Lance 1990/1991 aka Engien 44