Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shantz02

FDNY brush vehicles

9 posts in this topic

After reading the two posts about the large brush fires in both Brooklyn and Queens, I got to thinking. First, I find it absolutely awesome that they called in the VFDs for their brush trucks.

Second, does the FDNY have brush trucks stationed in parts of the city for this purpose? Or do they feel that it would be a duplication of services since the VFDs have them?

The city does have brush trucks stationed throughout the city where they could be needed. One is in rockaway section of Queens with E-266. The majority of them are on staten Island. I think there may be one in the brox too. I'll have to check and get back to you.

There are several FDNY Brush Units stationed around the city. If you take a look at FDNY Trucks you can see some of them, there are also some on my site.

Governers Island has one

BFU 1 @ E164

BFU 2 @ E166

BFU 3 @ E156

BFU 4 @ E154

BFU 5 @ E161

BFU 6 @ E321

BFU 7 @ E266

BFU 8 @ E97

As far as the Vollys responding, the Queens job was in thier area.

There are several FDNY Brush Units stationed around the city.  If you take a look at FDNY Trucks you can see some of them, there are also some on my site.

Governers Island has one

BFU 1 @ E164

BFU 2 @ E166

BFU 3 @ E156

BFU 4 @ E154

BFU 5 @ E161

BFU 6 @ E321

BFU 7 @ E266

BFU 8 @ E97

As far as the Vollys responding, the Queens job was in there area.

Are you sure about the BFU at E97? I think they have the Thawing Unit there, but I don't remember ever seeing a BFU there.

There used to be a BFU at Engine 97. All it was was a surplus Army pickup truck with a small pump and tank(E161 had the same type rig as BFU5). Later it was called BFU8. currently there is no BFU8, as the rig was disposed of several years ago, and not replaced. BFU 4, 5 and the GIPU have nearly identical Fords, and 1,2,3,6 &7 have identical International/Saulsbury's

Mike

After reading the two posts about the large brush fires in both Brooklyn and Queens, I got to thinking.  First, I find it absolutely awesome that they called in the VFDs for their brush trucks. 

Second, does the FDNY have brush trucks stationed in parts of the city for this purpose?  Or do they feel that it would be a duplication of services since the VFDs have them?

I can't say for sure if Gerritsen Beach VFD was requested, or they just showed up and got put to work. I didn't read the incident history today at work. However, the Brooklyn brush fire was in the general vicinity of Gerritsen Beach, so it's not a stretch to say they responded. As far as West Hamilton, they were on the road already and were not requested by FDNY. BFU-7/E-266 were tied up at the Brooklyn brush fire. E-321 was first due. I don't know if BFU-6 was operating or nobody went to pick it up. BFU-2 ended up coming out to Queens last night with E-166.

I don't think it's a duplication of services in the sense that an FDNY chief may not be able to count on a VFD to muster the manpower for a BFU.

Personal opinion, Manhattan should have a BFU up north for the Cloisters and Indian Hill Park, and the Bronx should have at least two.

Does anyone know if the brush fire units saw service today during the large brush fire(s) in the Bronx?

No. It's not necessarily feasible to have BFU-7 schlep all the way up from the Rockaways unless it's something major. By the time it would get up there(in todays case) the fire was already knocked down.