Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Boston FD Fits Ladder Anywhere It Needs To Go

6 posts in this topic

Boston FD is known for their aggresive aerial placement. During any working fire, you can often find several aerials up and operating, as well as multiple ground ladders. Here's a neat shot demonstrating such, and how Boston truck chaffeurs often have to manuver into tight spaces in this old city to get the aerial up. The outrigger system on the E-One RM aerials really contribute to being able to do this.

http://www.massmetrofire.org/temp/Boston030306.jpg

(Photo from www.firenews.org, from a fire in Boston on March 3rd, 2006)

Edited by x635

X635's photo is an excellent example of Boston's "habitual" (not used in a bad sense) use of aerial and ground ladders.

Having spent a lot of time and a part-time resident of Boston in the early 90s, their use of ladders was impressive. I am not sure if the SOG is still in effect, but they were required at one time to deploy the aerial ladder of the first due truck at all alarms (essentially have the jacks down and ladder out of the bed).

Some would argue that this may be an extreme approach to aerial deployment, but it is clear that Boston uses the aerial trucks for what they are; a valuable tool (not a parade piece).

My limited experience indicates that many departments will purchase aerial/tower apparatus that are far beyond the capabilities that they need 99.9% of the time. Often, the trucks are positioned away from the scene in some sort of "ready" mode. Granted most communities do not have the construction and occupancy issues as the densely populated Boston area, but their tendency to deploy the aerial prevents the complacency of aerial operators or officers.

I am not sure what Boston's transition to Pierce will mean for their ability to 'sneak' into some of the alleyways as depicted in the above link? E-One is not known for their resiliency or quality, but they have certainly worked well as the aerial apparatus for the City of Boston.

Edited by x152

One has to wonder how the Peirce mid-mounts will work out. They have the largest jack spread of all MM's yet they bought them foir one of the most compact city's in the nation. The E-One jack system is superior to anyone's, just the rest of the truck is questionable.

in firehouse usa, if i remember right, they did what x152 was saying and sent the ladder up at ever alarm they got. I though that was kind of odd untill now. i guess it makes sence to or atleast to put out the outriggers. after all, we do put the engine into pump.

Puting the truck in right position the first time is inportant and saves time. Set up the truck at every fire call it goes on would be great training at commercial and O/M/D .Setting up in front of the fire house is not training unless it is the first time you do it. Puting up ground ladders is something that every one shoud be doing for training all the time . <_<

I Have buffed Boston many times in the past and can't beleive what they can do with ther aerials. I guess having to fight fires since the 1650's they know a thing or two about tight spaces! <_<

I know since the newer trucks are comming in that some of the tactics are changing abit especially with the department now having a total of 6 towers (correct me if I have that wrong) But this is good since the old Tower Unit (aka Tower Ladder 3) and its spare were the only ones in the department for years and would go to all second / third alarms in town. I think with the new heavy duty Pierces they will be able to make up for the tight spaces with the extention lenght of the ladder, in some spaces, though the advantages of the E-Ones manuverability are better. The sissor style jacks are great for small streets.

The last I know it was still the SOP to have the first ladder set up and ready to go. I'm heading up there for St. Patricks Day so hopefully I'll get to see a job and see how they are woking the new trucks. They are definately one of the most if the most agressive truck departments in the country.