Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

PD's Have Dive Teams Too

8 posts in this topic

This is a first time for me to post and I was trying to find the right place on here to post so I apologize now if this is not the right place.

In regards to the 6Y.O that fell through the ice last night in Sleepy Hollow. Being that Sleepy Hollow is in the Incorparted Town Of Mt. Pleasant, don't you think that the MT PLEASANT PD DIVE TEAM Should have been called before Irvington FD? I personally know that their were 3 members of the PD dive team working last night and could have been there in a Jiffy.

Now of course I don't have all the info yet, but I will when I get into work today. I just want other members who volunteer and work in Westchester to know that the Town of MT PLEASANT PD has a DIVE TEAM with lots of experience and can be called out at a moments notice. Most of us are usually working anyway so the response time would be quick. We also just got a New Police Boat and Underwater Sonar Unit. We train at least once a month and are all certified in Underwater Crime Scenes along with Ice Rescue's.

We train with Croton on Hudson PD DIVE TEAM and Village of Mamaroneck PD Harbor Unit at least 3-4 times a year. Just keep the PD'S in mind.

Mount Pleasant PD and Croton PD Dive Teams WERE dispatched. Now you have the info.

Oneeyedmic, Thank you for your info. When you get into work today and find out that I did request the Town of MT Pleasant PD dive team thank them for a fast response. (Croton was notified as well) They where cancelled after the child was found, I'm sure the response from the team was immediate. Keep up the good work, this was not a FD vs PD operation. All worked well together.

Asst. Chief

Bill Hennessey

Sleepy Hollow Fire Department

First of all, I would like to thank EMT BRAVO for responding to my EMAIL so quickly.

Chief Hennessey, I appreciate that you called for our DIVE TEAM. I wasn't trying to make this a PD Versus FD matter at all. Like usual, I didn't have all the facts. I know have them and know the times that 37M1 (Mt Pleasant Medic 1) started to respond and I heard the Hot Line along with when 60 Control called our Department. I am not saying that I agree or disagree. I think that with the seriousness of this situation, all the available DIVE TEAM personal whether PD or FD should be there.

My original point was to get others that read this board to realize that in their jurisdiction they may not have a DIVE TEAM attached to the PD or FD and maybe not in the General vicinity. I know of all the PD's with DIVE TEAMS, but not all the FD'S.

Diving is a thing that us as RESCUE DIVERS train for all the time and thankfully don't have to use. But when there is a need for a CALL OUT, we want to be there for that. Training is good, but doing the real thing is GREAT. Don't get me wrong, most of the time if we as DIVERS are there, it is not good for someone else. Just good experience for US.

I will make sure that I do have all the info next time.

ONEEYEDMIC,

I know that Greenburgh PD has a Marine Unit, but do they also have divers?

GPD has a Marine Unit that also has members fromt the PD of Dobbs Ferry, Ardlsey, Tarrytown, Irvington and Sleepy Hollow. I might not be right with all of them, but I know that a few of them are on the Marine Unit. As for divers, we have not trained with them and I had heard that some of them might be taking a class or have already been certified divers. Not sure if that is on the LEVEL of a Rescue Diver though.

What I get out of this thread is an obvious need for better resource management on a county level. It also shows how any why having a more centralized communications center to handle coordination of such events is also important and why it is recommended by so many national emergency operations organizations.

Oneeyedmic...I never took your post as a PD vs. FD thing. I thought it raised some questions you wanted input on...good job.

That is all I was trying to say. There are other resources out there. The more the man power the less stress on everyone else. Better to have 16 divers than 8. More time for a search. It wasn't needed in this situation, but the Summer is coming and might be needed again.

I wasn't trying to make it PD vs Vollie thing either. More like an I get OT thing.

OT ='s more $$ or more time off.