Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spin_the_wheel

Seagrave being bought by Spartan?

14 posts in this topic

I got this from a very good source that Seagrave may be in some serious financial problems and may be aquired by Spartan Motors...anyone have any info on this?

Also that FDNY is no longer the contract company for new apparatus???

Oh stop spreading false Seagrave wooooes. They are doing fine. Check their website and see what is going on.

Edited by Truck4

There are others here that know more than me, but I believe, that like every other engine order FDNY places, it goes out to bid and the lowest responsible bidder is selected. So Segrave isn't out anymore than anyone else is in.

Oh stop spreading false Seagrave wooooes. They are doing fine. Check their website and see what is going on.

Not spreading any rumors...asking a question I thought that was the purpose of this board?.

Even if Seagrave were to be bought out, would it be an issue? As of right now they're owned by FWD. Before that they were owned by someone else (Freightliner?).

As far as the bidding process that is mentioned, yes, the "lowest responsible bidder" is supposed to get the bid. Unfortunately, that's not always entirely true.

When spec's get written up for a bid package, they're usually based on a specific manufacturers outline. Since each manufacturer has there own little idiocies when building a vehicle, other manufacturers have to take exceptions. When the bid's get compared it's usually the one that met all the spec's wins.

More info on transaction :

Ex-Freightliner CEO buys Wisconsin fire engine maker

The Business Journal of Portland -

May 9, 2003

Former Freightliner executive James Hebe and a group of private investors have bought a Wisconsin manufacturer of fire engines.

Hebe and a group of private investors managed through Ballamor Capitol Management Inc. of Wayne, Pa., bought Seagrave Fire Apparatus and its parent company, FWD Corp. of Clintonville, Wis., on May 7.

Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

The deal makes Hebe president and chief executive officer of Seagrave Fire Apparatus LLC. Hebe has worked in the truck manufacturing industry for more than 28 years, starting as a fire truck salesman for American LaFrance in 1971. He most recently served as chairman, president and chief executive officer of Freightliner LLC, a DaimlerChrysler Co., based in Portland. He was also CEO for American LaFrance, a Freightliner subsidiary. He resigned in May 2001 when Freightliner was struggling.

Former Seagrave president, CEO and part-owner Jim Green will temporarily remain with the company on a consulting basis. Green said the company has made strides in recent years in broadening its product lines and improving manufacturing operations.

Seagrave manufactures commercial and custom pumpers, rescue trucks, aerial ladders, tractor-drawn aerials and platforms for fire departments across North America. Among its customers are the fire departments of New York City, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.

"With (Seagrave's) already expansive product line and new products under development, we will continue to grow the company and further enhance its service to fire and emergency departments throughout North America," Hebe said.

Seagrave and FWD-affiliated companies included in the transaction are: Almonte Fire Trucks, Carleton Place, Ontario; Aerialscope Inc., Richmond, Va.; Seagrave Sales & Service, South Plainfield, N.J.; and Seagrave West, Rancho Dominguez, Calif. Seagrave and its affiliates have 422 employees.

Never heard such a rumor, but I know Seagrave and Spartan own stock in each other beacuse of Aerialsciope. Seagraves and Spartans are the only chassis that is built specifically and recomended for it. I know we hacve seen them on Pierces, but that is only a refurb, usually using the old chassis form the Aerialscope (Mack) and placing a new cab on it (6 out of 10 times) though Pierce will also use a beefed up Dash chassis for some applications.

I got this from a very good source that Seagrave may be in some serious financial problems and may be aquired by Spartan Motors...anyone have any info on this?

Well your source is very wrong.

Also that FDNY is no longer the contract company for new apparatus???

Again you are wrong on this also. Being out to Seagrave Jan 2 2006. Members of YHFD and I meet the Dep. Comm. of FDNY out there. They were out there checking out 1 of the 12 Tower ladders they have coming. There was also 11 Ladder on the line.

Your info is WRONG!!!!!

Oh let me add LA County has 24 engines being built also.

WTF...the guy asked a question a simple no would have been fine. Why all the attitude? It's just WRONG!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Oh and Chris498 if the mod's won't say it then I will your post is freakin offensive. If you don't believe in god thats your choice but don't offend mine.

Allright guys, settle down, let's not get personal on a thread that has (my opinion) increased my knowledge of an apparatus manufacturer. :D

Just think of that pig..... ;)

Edited by hoss

Just to expel some false rumors… I have obtained the following memo that was sent out to all Seagrave Fire Apparatus affiliates. It explains the new construction project as well as who currently "owns" Seagrave:

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 7, 2006

Seagrave Breaks Ground

Clintonville, WI - Seagrave Fire Apparatus, LLC is pleased to announce that they have signed an agreement today with Keller Builders of Kaukauna for the completion of their expansion project. This agreement calls for the erection of a 137,000 square foot Final Assembly building on the southeast corner of the company’s property in Clintonville.

The new building will provide the company with a modern, flexible production facility that more than doubles its current production capacity. The building will include the chassis assembly line for all fire apparatus and two final assembly lines for custom Pumper and Aerial trucks. It also includes over 16,000 square feet of Engineering and Research & Development facilities. Other features include a modern chassis service bay and customer acceptance facilities.

During the signing and groundbreaking ceremony Scott Mintier, CEO of Seagrave commented, “On the eve of our company’s 125th anniversary it is appropriate that Seagrave is making an investment not only in its future but in the future of Clintonville, Wisconsin as well.†Mintier added: “We are building this new facility to meet the increased demand for our new fire apparatus and to reduce delivery times to our customers.â€

Mintier went on to say, “This day is in large part the result of a partnership between Seagrave and the City of Clintonville. Mayor Richard Beggs and City Administrator Lisa Kotter have been steadfast in their support of Seagrave in its efforts to bring this expansion to the City of Clintonville. They assisted not only in setting up a Tax Increment District (TID) to help finance the construction, but also helped us to obtain approvals with a myriad of State and Federal Agencies.â€

Seagrave Fire Apparatus, LLC is a portfolio company of FB Capital Partners, L.P., a private investment partnership based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. FB manages more than $850 million and invests in a wide variety of manufacturing, business services, finance and real estate companies (www.fbcp.com)."