Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TAPSJ

Millbrook's Structure Fire - Fatal - 1/17/09

32 posts in this topic

VERY cold....thats myself on the ladder with another JHK Brother in the lead.....

Props to the NYSP/DCSO/UVFD FF Tom

Great job to all the firefighters and police out there today.

My prayers go out to the family.

VERY cold....thats myself on the ladder with another JHK Brother in the lead.....

Props to the NYSP/DCSO/UVFD FF Tom

Thank god for a T.I.C. a hand line and a BROTHER from JHK.

Thank god for a T.I.C. a hand line and a BROTHER from JHK.

THANKS BROTHER.... ;)

Yes..I feel the TIC saved us from injury at the least.....

THANKS BROTHER.... ;)

Yes..I feel the TIC saved us from injury at the least.....

Dan may I ask what happened in reference to your post????

Millbrook and Dutchess County Fire Investigation Division just went back in service. Almost an 8 hour job, God Bless all you that were on the scene and Stay WARM if that is at all possiable.

Thomas

Thanks for the pictures. It's too bad about the owner. That must have been one cold wet morning.

Nice pics Dan... Even though it was cold it could have been worse at least it was above zero and not much wind

Nice pics Dan... Even though it was cold it could have been worse at least it was above zero and not much wind

I spy 36-2 pulling 5" on the pj site.

It was really cold . I went to the scene briefly and was really feeling for the folks that had been there for a large amount of time...

hey you got to do what you got to do :D

By reading the article in the paper today, some things were misprinted and some accounts are questionable ,then going over the fire in my head for the past 24 hrs, I don't think anything could have been done to save the resident. In my opinion he had already expired by the time fire and ems had gotten there mabe even before the dispatch.

I witnessed first hand the vallant effort given by the State police, Dutchess county Sheriffs and a firefighter from UnionVale/Lagrange Professional firefighters you know who you are. Don't want to blow up your spot.

hey you got to do what you got to do :D

Joe,

by the looks of the photos there were alot of black hats there (some with probie shields), you need to use that new radio you have and teach the new guys how to rack hose...also a question on 36-45, what was the reason for deploying the ladder using the "short jack "system?? did you have obstructions?? just curious. Looks like nice work by everyone.

Joe,

by the looks of the photos there were alot of black hats there (some with probie shields), you need to use that new radio you have and teach the new guys how to rack hose...also a question on 36-45, what was the reason for deploying the ladder using the "short jack "system?? did you have obstructions?? just curious. Looks like nice work by everyone.

Was not racking hose was moving out of the way for the ladder to position. As far as the short jack the driveway was not that wide and sloped down on the passenger side of the truck and the driver side there was a gully that was about a foot deep

Edited by JHK3605

Dan may I ask what happened in reference to your post????

Sure.....it's a long one though...

I'd also like to address some "rumors" I have been hearing...and remember - these are MY opinions, NOT JHK, not Poughkeepsie...MINE..so QTIP. If you KNOW me....you KNOW where I am coming from...I wouldnt say it any differently here as I would to your face. hell...if you come to Copperfield's...we can hash it out there...

I responded from my home at the transmittal of the second alarm, and living on the border of Millbrook (actually in Millbrook) I made good time...I geared up and walked up the street the fire building was on...the whole time I am looking at the building - doing MY size up....Millbrook Car 3 told me there was a person trapped inside and to go with "that guy Pleasant Valley"...I was happy to see he was referring to Brother Robison, someone I have worked with many times in the past and who I trusted 100 percent..

Being a past Officer in Millbrook, I am VERY familiar with their gear/trucks and I took a pack off of their engine. When we purchased our first TIC, we put in the compartment with the packs....so i was also able to easily grab that..

There was already a line off being used by the NYSP...yes..the Troopers..as I rounded the engine into the driveway, I heard them yell, "We got him!" and saw 3 Troops, one Deputy and a UVFD FF carrying the victim out..say what you want about cops going in burning buildings but I can tell you - those guys HAVE balls. A true display of heroism.

The Rock and I made the front door and pushed in, as there were reports of another person possibly still inside. The battery in the TIC was dead...we swept the floor but had a good amount of fire rolling over our heads so Don told me to grab the line from the Trooper who gladly gave it up. He had sprayed us a bit and we were starting to ice up. We played the line in for a while in that room until we lost water, where we backed out....I ran and got another battery for the TIC and went back to the door - by this time the bulk of the second alarm manpower and rigs were pulling up...

Don and I again entered the building, but with the TIC functionning, had a bit of advantage. I scanned the room where we were....advanced a few feet, swept the floor....just as we were getting ready to commit to the room I scanned it with the TIC and watched as the ceiling collapsed. Not just the sheetrock...but rafter/beams....I wish the camera was hooked to a recorder..I was awestruck as I realized how lucky we were. I have little doubt that had we just pushed in old school style, that we would have been caught in the collapse. How many of you guys there were ready to deal with the MAYDAY we would have called? Could you have gotten us out?

Having the TIC easily accessible in the apparatus, and being familiar with it payed off large. Between myself and the Rock..we have nearly 40 years in the fire service...Don with about a decade on the career job - experience is a big thing in these situations...

All in all...it is my opinion that the firemen that responded to and operated at that fire did "a good job"...of course the outcome was sad, but so goes emergency services. There was alot to be learned at this fire and I for one learned a ton...I know for sure a few poeple got a good eye opening.

There was ALOT going against us here...going against ALL of us...

First is the building....an old, somewhat unkempt 2 story wood frame...I ALWAYS examine a fire building before entering blind...ALWAYS! How many else do the same? How many of you that were there could tell me - without looking at the pictures posted here - about the second floor windows on the exposure 1 side? They concerned me...I knew before entering that house that if I needed to - I would not be able to exit via those windows...not with a pack on, and maybe not without...the downfall of being a fat a**.... :o

The fire had strong control of the building, with a very heavy smoke condition....and even though it was self vented in several spots..inside - visability was 5 feet at best...certainly hot, but not a high heat condition where it was uncomfortable...but very, very smokey...

So here is an old, obviously baloon frame construction house, tattered for years by the weather, loaded to the gills with a heavy fire condition...fire took quick control of the second floor..then the attic...

What was NOT obvious was what was inside of the bays of the walls...when we cut the outside wall on the exposure 2 side we found a post runnig the length to the roof...similar to that of a post and rail fence! We also learned that the interior walls were plaster and lathe....I would be willing to bet that those interior beams added a good bit of structural integity to the building and burned fairly slow..compared to ordinary lumber. NO two buildings are the same, just like no two fires are the same...

When we were doing the search, we went in to the left - the side of the building Union Vale was opering on the outside of for reference if you were there. it was layed out like a living room...I can draw you a map of it and was in it only once...entertainment center to your left going in the door...a chair to the right...then a sofa....then another chair...right near the western most first floor window was....a bed...yep...a bed in the living room....never underestimate what you may find in a house...thankfully that room was clear of any additonal victims...but again...another eye opener...a bed in a living room...not typical, but I guess not too uncommon...by the time I made it to the bed, the smoke had cleared to a light fog and visibilty was Ok...then my low air was shaking my mask so I headed out, removing my mask on the way...by the time I got to the doorway, I turned and looked back into the room, dark brown smoke was rapidly banking down...very fast...at that point we all pulled out and the signal was given to evacuate the building...just a reminder of how fast conditions can change on you....

The other large problem was the weather...it was frickin cold! EVERYTHING turned to ice....us, the gear...to change my bottles I had to hold it under the exhaust of Millbrook's Chief's car! The rungs and extensions on our truck were iced over...the handles of the tools...the ground...everythinG! THANK YOU to Millbrook Rescuee Squad for the nonstop flow of water, hot coffee, food, and most importanlty = DRY GLOVES. It was much appreciated.

There was SO much going against us there it is amazing, and a credit to the Officers that no firemen were hurt.

I have heard and overheard other firemen sayin this and that...hurt feelings...whatever...bottom line is that we were met with VERY challenging conditions...compounded by the urgency of possible victims, one confirmed, high emotions, water problems., the whole 9....

There is no doubt in my mind that all companies responding worked together for as postive an outcome as you can hope for - given those conditions..that is the reality of rural, volunteer firefighting.

I have been to a load of fires in my 19 years....this one of the most serious...and I mean it when I say to EACH and EVERY one of you'se guys...Good job.

Thanks for your account Dan and dont forget the Refridgerator that was blocking the rear door on the D-side by the little garage

Sure.....it's a long one though...

I'd also like to address some "rumors" I have been hearing...and remember - these are MY opinions, NOT JHK, not Poughkeepsie...MINE..so QTIP. If you KNOW me....you KNOW where I am coming from...I wouldnt say it any differently here as I would to your face. hell...if you come to Copperfield's...we can hash it out there...

I responded from my home at the transmittal of the second alarm, and living on the border of Millbrook (actually in Millbrook) I made good time...I geared up and walked up the street the fire building was on...the whole time I am looking at the building - doing MY size up....Millbrook Car 3 told me there was a person trapped inside and to go with "that guy Pleasant Valley"...I was happy to see he was referring to Brother Robison, someone I have worked with many times in the past and who I trusted 100 percent..

Being a past Officer in Millbrook, I am VERY familiar with their gear/trucks and I took a pack off of their engine. When we purchased our first TIC, we put in the compartment with the packs....so i was also able to easily grab that..

There was already a line off being used by the NYSP...yes..the Troopers..as I rounded the engine into the driveway, I heard them yell, "We got him!" and saw 3 Troops, one Deputy and a UVFD FF carrying the victim out..say what you want about cops going in burning buildings but I can tell you - those guys HAVE balls. A true display of heroism.

The Rock and I made the front door and pushed in, as there were reports of another person possibly still inside. The battery in the TIC was dead...we swept the floor but had a good amount of fire rolling over our heads so Don told me to grab the line from the Trooper who gladly gave it up. He had sprayed us a bit and we were starting to ice up. We played the line in for a while in that room until we lost water, where we backed out....I ran and got another battery for the TIC and went back to the door - by this time the bulk of the second alarm manpower and rigs were pulling up...

Don and I again entered the building, but with the TIC functionning, had a bit of advantage. I scanned the room where we were....advanced a few feet, swept the floor....just as we were getting ready to commit to the room I scanned it with the TIC and watched as the ceiling collapsed. Not just the sheetrock...but rafter/beams....I wish the camera was hooked to a recorder..I was awestruck as I realized how lucky we were. I have little doubt that had we just pushed in old school style, that we would have been caught in the collapse. How many of you guys there were ready to deal with the MAYDAY we would have called? Could you have gotten us out?

Having the TIC easily accessible in the apparatus, and being familiar with it payed off large. Between myself and the Rock..we have nearly 40 years in the fire service...Don with about a decade on the career job - experience is a big thing in these situations...

All in all...it is my opinion that the firemen that responded to and operated at that fire did "a good job"...of course the outcome was sad, but so goes emergency services. There was alot to be learned at this fire and I for one learned a ton...I know for sure a few poeple got a good eye opening.

There was ALOT going against us here...going against ALL of us...

First is the building....an old, somewhat unkempt 2 story wood frame...I ALWAYS examine a fire building before entering blind...ALWAYS! How many else do the same? How many of you that were there could tell me - without looking at the pictures posted here - about the second floor windows on the exposure 1 side? They concerned me...I knew before entering that house that if I needed to - I would not be able to exit via those windows...not with a pack on, and maybe not without...the downfall of being a fat a**.... :o

The fire had strong control of the building, with a very heavy smoke condition....and even though it was self vented in several spots..inside - visability was 5 feet at best...certainly hot, but not a high heat condition where it was uncomfortable...but very, very smokey...

So here is an old, obviously baloon frame construction house, tattered for years by the weather, loaded to the gills with a heavy fire condition...fire took quick control of the second floor..then the attic...

What was NOT obvious was what was inside of the bays of the walls...when we cut the outside wall on the exposure 2 side we found a post runnig the length to the roof...similar to that of a post and rail fence! We also learned that the interior walls were plaster and lathe....I would be willing to bet that those interior beams added a good bit of structural integity to the building and burned fairly slow..compared to ordinary lumber. NO two buildings are the same, just like no two fires are the same...

When we were doing the search, we went in to the left - the side of the building Union Vale was opering on the outside of for reference if you were there. it was layed out like a living room...I can draw you a map of it and was in it only once...entertainment center to your left going in the door...a chair to the right...then a sofa....then another chair...right near the western most first floor window was....a bed...yep...a bed in the living room....never underestimate what you may find in a house...thankfully that room was clear of any additonal victims...but again...another eye opener...a bed in a living room...not typical, but I guess not too uncommon...by the time I made it to the bed, the smoke had cleared to a light fog and visibilty was Ok...then my low air was shaking my mask so I headed out, removing my mask on the way...by the time I got to the doorway, I turned and looked back into the room, dark brown smoke was rapidly banking down...very fast...at that point we all pulled out and the signal was given to evacuate the building...just a reminder of how fast conditions can change on you....

The other large problem was the weather...it was frickin cold! EVERYTHING turned to ice....us, the gear...to change my bottles I had to hold it under the exhaust of Millbrook's Chief's car! The rungs and extensions on our truck were iced over...the handles of the tools...the ground...everythinG! THANK YOU to Millbrook Rescuee Squad for the nonstop flow of water, hot coffee, food, and most importanlty = DRY GLOVES. It was much appreciated.

There was SO much going against us there it is amazing, and a credit to the Officers that no firemen were hurt.

I have heard and overheard other firemen sayin this and that...hurt feelings...whatever...bottom line is that we were met with VERY challenging conditions...compounded by the urgency of possible victims, one confirmed, high emotions, water problems., the whole 9....

There is no doubt in my mind that all companies responding worked together for as postive an outcome as you can hope for - given those conditions..that is the reality of rural, volunteer firefighting.

I have been to a shitload of fires in my 19 years....this one of the most serious...and I mean it when I say to EACH and EVERY one of you'se guys...Good job.

Wow Dan thanks for the account. Yes I know you, if you have something to express it WILL get expressed. Yes the pictures truly do not tell of the conditions you describe. I did note from the pictures the total burn down of I believe of the rear room or addition, the one noted behind JHK FF'er Busa. I did also note the size of the windows on the front 2nd floor.

I was at the station when the call went out, listened to the second alarm get dispatched, I almost came to take some shots but figured with the amount of units responding they didn't need my personal vehicle in the way.

When we eventually got dispatched it was the tanker only to the scene, the Chief was already enroute so following our OG's I remained in the district at the station.

Dan thanks for the account, glad you made it home safely.

Wow Dan thanks for the account. Yes I know you, if you have something to express it WILL get expressed. Yes the pictures truly do not tell of the conditions you describe. I did note from the pictures the total burn down of I believe of the rear room or addition, the one noted behind JHK FF'er Busa. I did also note the size of the windows on the front 2nd floor.

I was at the station when the call went out, listened to the second alarm get dispatched, I almost came to take some shots but figured with the amount of units responding they didn't need my personal vehicle in the way.

When we eventually got dispatched it was the tanker only to the scene, the Chief was already enroute so following our OG's I remained in the district at the station.

Dan thanks for the account, glad you made it home safely.

I am glad that all personnel went home safely could have definitely been different if the camera's battery was not dead. I beleive one police officer went to the hospital as a pre-caution. Dan I hope you played lotto yesterday

Edited by JHK3605

Was not racking hose was moving out of the way for the ladder to position. As far as the short jack the driveway was not that wide and sloped down on the passenger side of the driver side there was a gully that was about a foot deep

Thanks for the info.

Dan,

Thanks for your personal account of your actions!

I wish more of theae types of posts are made in the future.

Just to add, Dan aka x129 pretty much said it all, we were lucky. Some of the skills we used at this fire were taught to me by the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Officer that isn't wearing his waist strap coming down the Ladder on Hurlie st. a few weeks ago. As x129 said we were lucky and I believe those things taught to me by that officer saved our rear ends.

A great account of operations and sounds like a great job by Dan and Don.

Just goes to show that this is a dangerous job and that it takes training and experience in situations like this.

All members have to have the drive to keep up to date and hone their skills like thses two do or outcomes WILL be different.

THE ROCK.....MY HERO Gotta get on group 4 so you can show me your stuff :huh: , holy cow.

OK GUYS YOU CAN LOG ME OFF NOW...... LAST TIME I DO THAT!!! LOL

Edited by x134

THE ROCK.....MY HERO Gotta get on group 4 so you can show me your stuff :huh: , holy cow.

OK GUYS YOU CAN LOG ME OFF NOW...... LAST TIME I DO THAT!!! LOL

THE ROCK.....MY HERO ooohhhh shoot

thanks Dan for the update, any more photos?

thanks Dan for the update, any more photos?

Yes I have more but can not post them from work.

They will be up by the weekend. Nothing fantastic, but a few "faces in the crowd" shots.

ok sounds good