Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PEMO3

Ambrose-Searles Move Over Act becomes law 1/1/11

16 posts in this topic

Effective January 1, 2011 the Ambrose-Searles Move Over Act becomes law in NYS. Failure to move over carries a $150 fine and a $85 state surcharge. The law protects law enforcement officers and emergency workers stopped along roadways while performing their duties.

Some of the highlights of the law are:

• Drivers must use due care when approaching an emergency vehicle that displays red and/or white emergency lighting.

• On all roads and highways, drivers must reduce speed;

• On Parkways and other controlled access highways with multiple lanes, drivers must move from the lane immediately adjacent to the emergency vehicle, unless traffic or other hazards exist to prevent doing so safely.

See: Ambrose-Searles Move Over Act

JetPhoto and efdcapt115 like this

Glad to see something productive come out of albany these days. Hope that its utilized to the fullest potential and it gets people to slow the hell down....ironic, one of my old partners responded to the Ambrose crash.

On a similar note, any word out of albany on paramedics drawing labs for PD on DWIs?

Hopefully they actually enforce the law and I dont have motorists going down I-684 at 80 MPH passing within a foot of my ambulance or scene while a trooper sits in their car writing tickets.

This is not a knock on troopers, they have helped me out more times than I can count...I just want to see the law enforced for mine and their protection and safety.

The most important thing is that these 2 Law Enforcement Officers are never forgotten. I was working the night Trooper Ambrose was killed and was called to the area to assist as were most Yonkers units that night. There isn't a time that I pass that area that I don't think about that night. Although we will be forever saddened by their line of duty deaths, we can all be comforted in knowing that because of the sacrafice that these officers made and by the enactment of this law, these officers will be responsible for saving countless lives over the coming years.

Thank You Trooper Ambrose and Deputy Searles for your courage, honor and sacrafice. You gentlemen are true heros. You are gone but will never be forgotten.

Merry Christmas my Brothers

efdcapt115 likes this

I hope it helps but people are ignorant so you'll still have idiots out there.

It just really SUCKS that it took so damn long for these laws to be passed!

I was on that job too. I will always remember how the NYSP troopers held it together. If one of MY partners was burned to death in his rig and I was there, I would phone in my resignation and walk home.

As I recall, the kid that caused the incident was highly intox and died in the crash. Doubtful the law would have had any effect, sad to say. He had already broken a biggie just by driving.

Not often that you have 'spare' officers at these scenes poised to chase a driver who fails to move over. If WE in the ES community educate the public about the law, WE may reap the benefits of safer scenes. Nothing good happens without hard work. Bad stuff happens all by itself.

Bill

Hopefully they actually enforce the law

This becomes law in less than 2 weeks and I have seen nothing on it other than here. The law needs to be promoted. Most NY have no idea this is law and those passing thru would not know either.

This becomes law in less than 2 weeks and I have seen nothing on it other than here. The law needs to be promoted. Most NY have no idea this is law and those passing thru would not know either.

It's hard to believe we need a law at all for this. It should be common sense.

It's hard to believe we need a law at all for this. It should be common sense.

Agreed, but we let anyone drive and even those who should not drive, do.

I attended the funeral for Trooper Ambrose in December of 2002. In the aftermath of the year of funerals/memorials that were conducted for NYC Uniformed Personnel, FDNY/NYPD/PAPD this funeral took place on Long Island, I think Floral Park.

It was a particularly horrifying crash that took this young Trooper's life, as stated in previous posts. The controversy raged about that "bolt" and the gas tank of the Crown Vics. I didn't know Trooper Ambrose personally, but like so many of us back in those days, we were just on automatic for getting in the Class A's and attending out of respect, and the call of duty to fill the ranks.

Those days were so frustrating. The monstrous, horrific losses sustained on 9/11.....this Trooper's death added to the feeling like it would never end. Today in Chicago it just brings the focus back on the enormous danger cops and firefighters face.

His loved one's/fellow Troopers constructed a beautiful website in his memory:

http://www.trooperambrose.com/

What a tragic waste of a young man's life, yet now a piece of legislation bearing his name COULD save a comrade-in-arms in the future....If people respect and are made aware of the law as Barry said, it needs to be put out there for the public to grasp it's importance.

Here in Monroe County, Fl, the Sheriff does a great job with the MCSO Blog. I remember in particular, and found the piece he wrote about the move over law we have had in place here in Florida for a while:

http://floridakeyssheriff.blogspot.com/2010/09/sheriff-reminds-people-about-move-over.html

The sheriff's post came in the aftermath of another vicious wreck that took the life of a young FHP Trooper on the Florida Turnpike. On the Overseas Highway AKA Route 1, we have a turning lane in the center. Mindful of these tragedies in the past, I'll always take the turning lane, slow down 20 mph and hit my hazard lights on. I always have to shake my head at the ignorance of so many from the mainland that come down here like Martians, passing through on their way to Key West, not a clue and to make matters worse, I'll check my rearview mirror and I can tell if it's a local or a tourist behind me; if he follows my lead he lives here...if not....he's from Miami.

But the MCSO do take them down sometimes for not following the move over law, as it should be.

Best of luck up there; be especially careful on the Sprain Parkway, that seems to draw the drag-racer out of every Bronx Borough resident in a Nissan Sentra headed to who knows where up north.

It's a damned dangerous world for cops and firefighters. That's why we get paid, that's why we retire and get a pension. Go on out there and dodge these maniacs for two decades. If you make it through, and thankfully most of you do, you deserve every damned penny in that pension for the rest of your life.

God Rest all our heroes, today is an overwhelming day of remembrance.

They've had that law here in Virginia for about a year,now, and here's my unscientific surveey

I (like you) have always pulled over a lane because we don't want to hit a brother, or we have a little more common sense than the average dope out there.

After a year of this VA law, under 10% pull over, the rest don't.

I have heard of only one ticket given, probably because the cop is busy with his business at hand.

I fear it's just a bulldog with sharp teeth, but he cant get you because he's on a rope.

FYI, 2 days after NY passed the hands free cell phone law, I saw Amy Paulin talking on her cell phone to her ear.

Stay safe out there, keep an eye on traffic, the life you save may be your own.

The general mood out there is the public wants a smaller government, run on the cheap. Don't expect someone else to fund our expensive public education campaigns or even make signs. Though that one on the W/B 287 for the DOT guy with the imitation grave and the "Give 'em a brake" sign makes me slow and shiver every time.

We (can) do public education: demos, fire prevention month, EMS week, Trauma awareness month (May), Police week, open houses, annual parades... the venues and opportunities to teach the public are plenty and should never be wasted. If we don't do it, no one will do it for us and it simply won't get done. I can tell you that I will add this law to my shpeal at public events from now on. Wouldn't hurt to ask your state officials (if they are not in jail yet) to ask the NYS DMV to add a question or two about this law to the learners permit exam. Kids study that book. As they become drivers the law will be known more widely. I will send an e-mail. We all should.

efdcapt115 likes this

I believe Conn. has a similar law. I have seen signs on Interstate 84 that flash the message.

Glad to see something productive come out of albany these days. Hope that its utilized to the fullest potential and it gets people to slow the hell down....ironic, one of my old partners responded to the Ambrose crash.

On a similar note, any word out of albany on paramedics drawing labs for PD on DWIs?

Why would anyone want to draw blood for DWIs. Don't get me wrong, screw drunk drivers but who wants to waste a day in court and be cross examined on what technique you used to draw blood?

Like INIT915 mentioned this should be common sense. Sadly it's not.

I am happy to see this law go into effect.

I hope it's strictly enforced.

After the death of Trooper Ambrose the New York State Troopers PBA pushed to have

the Blue Light law revised to include police vehicles.

Everytime I see that bright flashing Blue LED on a New York State Police vehicle I think of

Trooper Ambrose and how he died.

REST IN PEACE

Trooper Ambrose

Deputy Searles