Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Armonk FD's Special Election Result?

7 posts in this topic

I was just wondering the result of Armonk's Special Election on 4/26. Did the bond pass? The bond was for a new rescue-pumper. I believe the new truck would replace the current 288, a 1991 KME 1250/500.

Thanks,

Notice of Special Election

Armonk FD

Good heads up, firedude.

Engine 288 is definetly overdue for replacement, especially with I-684 running through their district.

I would also think or hope that a Quint would be in their future as well.

But if they replace Engine 287, I will cry unless they gift me with it.

firedude likes this

yes it did pass

thank god

287 will not be going any where any time soon

firedude likes this

Good heads up, firedude.

Engine 288 is definetly overdue for replacement, especially with I-684 running through their district.

I would also think or hope that a Quint would be in their future as well.

But if they replace Engine 287, I will cry unless they gift me with it.

I agree. I think a quint would serve them well. Whats the closest ladder to their district anyway?

yes it did pass

thank god

287 will not be going any where any time soon

Good to hear. Congrats to Armonk FD and the North Castle Fire District!

I agree. I think a quint would serve them well. Whats the closest ladder to their district anyway?

Good to hear. Congrats to Armonk FD and the North Castle Fire District!

Why Armonk would need one? NWPFD has a rear mount quint just down Route 22 less than 5 minutes away, Chappaqua has a TL quint 5 minutes down route 120 and Mt Kisco has a dedicated TL 5 minutes down route 128. Additionally, Millwood, Bedford Hills and White Plains as well as any CT ladders less than 10 minutes away.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Why Armonk would need one? NWPFD has a rear mount quint just down Route 22 less than 5 minutes away, Chappaqua has a TL quint 5 minutes down route 120 and Mt Kisco has a dedicated TL 5 minutes down route 128. Additionally, Millwood, Bedford Hills and White Plains as well as any CT ladders less than 10 minutes away.

I may be wrong but, I think it could only benifit them. The times you listed are approx driving times not total response times. It could take longer if they wait for a full crew. Bedford Hills TL57 (or U13) will usually be the FASTeam, if they are not put to work. I know Banksville FD used to have a ladder. Greenwich CT, does not have a ladder stationed in North Greenwich. It seams that, Armonk, Banksville, Pound Ridge, Vista and Bedford Village don't have ladders. I am sure that in the event of a fire, they can get one.

Here is an example: Armonk - Working Fire 3-2-2011

Edited by firedude

Why Armonk would need one?

Because if every dept. does not have at least one of everything, Westchester will be in danger of losing its status of highest taxed county in America.

I may be wrong but, I think it could only benifit them. The times you listed are approx driving times not total response times. It could take longer if they wait for a full crew.

Most of the fires in northern Westchester have difficulty deploying a ladder fast enough to get into position ahead of the 1st due engine. Once blocked out it is useless. The main reason for this is that without inhouse staffed units the 1st priority is (and has to be) to get the 1st due engine out. In much of the non hydranted districts the next critical unit is the tanker. By the time enough members assemble to get the ladder out, its to late.

I know some will then say, if they had a quint it would be the 1st unit and problem solved, except the comprimises needed to make a quint work, mean it will show up with too little hose, not enough water and not enough ground ladders. Its better to get a dedicated truck from another company on AUTOMATIC AID to every fire call. That way you get a proper engine response to attack the fire and a proper truck response to do truck work.

FF398, firedude, EMTbravo and 2 others like this