Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Does Anyone Know What Happened To Mount Vernon's Old R-1?

9 posts in this topic

I heard a rumor this morning that the old Mount Vernon R-1 was given to a guy who deals in used trucks in Mount Vernon. From the information I got, a lot of the equipment on the truck, such as lights, radios, scene lighting, generators, rescue equipment, etc was also given along with the truck. I know it was sitting in the back of S-2 for a while now.

Now, maybe someone from Mount Vernon or someone who is "in the know" can confirm this for me- is the truck just out for service, was it sold, or was it just "given" to this person?

If so, what is the proper protocol for disposing of apparatus and equipment, especially in a department that's hurting for manpower and equipment? Or, if it's going to be donated, the protocol for donating to another department?

Also, what does R-1 use for a spare? I hope this rumor isn't true, because even as old and beaten up as this truck is, for a busy city like Mount Vernon that can't afford new equipment, it still would make a good backup truck as well as a support service vehicle? Maybe it was just sold, and the money will be used to buy new apparatus?

I don't think there were any rescue tools or equipment on it but there were some things on it I've been told that could have been used as spares, especially the generator. Your right though Seth, what will they use if the new R1 is out for repair? Call mutual aid as usual? Who's brain storm idea was that? Some of my buddies over there told me the whole transaction is shady and should be looked into.

Edited by FirNaTine

I went down to Mount Vernon this morning to investigate the situation. The Rescue, still fully lettered, is sitting in the yard of a truck part shop. Although the Rescue has seen better days, it's still in fairly good condition to serve as a spare rescue, even as a Technical Rescue Support unit. Look at Mount Vernon PD, they are operating with TWO Heavy Rescues that saw over 10 years of daily service with NYPD in the Bronx prior to going to Mount Vernon.

I hope the City didn't force the FD to sell this, or the FD sold it for money (especially since the PD is allowed to keep theirs)........I give them the benefit of the doubt, but based on the past...I hope it's nothing shady.

Anyways, here's the photo of it sitting in a truck part shop in Mount Vernon. A guy who works across the street says the guy aqquires used trucks, and parts them out...and what's not parted out is sold for scrap metal.

post-11-1204140022.jpg

wasn't it running as their field service unit?

I'd love to know if the new City Administration knows about this. How could someone give away a piece of apparatus, city owned for that matter, that could be sold as is, or for parts and scrap metal? Couldn't FDMV use those spare parts for their other ailing apparatus? Who was the genius responsible for this irrational and irresponsible move? Did FDMV receive any money for it at least? If so, who's pocket did it go into? :angry:

Edited by FirNaTine

If it ends up being true, that the City sold the Old R-1 (Ford Rescue), that surely doesn't make any sense. Like the others above have said. What does FDMV do when the front line R-1 goes out of service for maintenence and repairs? Use their Spare Engine 1? (Doesn't have the space to store all of the equipment that is used on R-1. Yonkers had the sense to keep the Old Single Axel Rescue Rig as a back up/reserve. Why not Mount Vernon? If the City of Mount Vernon was desparate for money, then why wouldn't they sell off FOAM 1 that is sitting and rusting behind Station 2 (What a waste of resouce. That Old Airport Rig would be a great addition to the FDMV fleet, given where it would have been located out of, down around the Oil City Area, and the location at Station 2). When will the City of Mount Vernon wake up and go back to the EQUIPMENT and MANPOWER LEVELS of the Mid to Late 1960's and 1970's. FDMV "Should Be":

Station 1

Engine 6

Ladder 2

Station 2

Engine 5

Ladder 2

Rescue 1

Foam 1

Spare Rescue 1

Haz Mat Unit

Station 3

Engine 1

Engine 3

Ladder 3

(Spare Ladder 1)

Station 4

Engine 2

Engine 4

(Spare Engine 7)

What does anyone within FDMV think about all of this?

Mt. Vernon never had a spare all the way up until this new rig was acquired so its nothing new. They are just rolling the dice and got lucky for all the years there was never an major breakdowns. How long until something gives?

Hopefully someone in the Mayor's office will wake up and realize that Mount Vernon's current equipment staffing level is below minimum requirements and needs to be brought back up to the level of the 1960's and 1970's

Maybe we could have scrapped it at Bass for additional money to put towards the bail out ropes,along with running a car wash and having a bake sale we might get them! "WISHFULL THINKING''!!!!!!!!!!