ldrco195

concrete pumper set up for fire service use

21 posts in this topic

from www.firenews.net

HOT SHOTS

Fire Destroys Family Dollar Store

FRI FEB 22

SUBMITTED BY DAVID MILLER

WALLACE - On Tuesday February,19,2008 at 08:45 hours, Duplin County Communications dispatched Wallace, Teachey, Rose Hill and Duplin County EMS Medic 7 to 114 East Southerland Street in Wallace for a commercial structure fire at the Family Dollar Store. Wallac Car 1 arrived and upgraded the call to a working fire with heavy smoke from the front of the store and requested Northeast, Penderlea, and Burgaw to be dispatched for manpower and ladder from Burgaw.

Wallace FD Engine 6 arrived and placed two 2.5-inch attack lines in service to the front of the structure. When units from Teachey, Rose Hill, and Northeast arrived deck monitors were placed in service for defensive operations. After Burgaw arrived with their ladder truck a special call was placed to Coastal Carolina Concrete Pumping for a large concrete pumper.

p_02222008_nh6.jpg

more info...

concrete pumper info !!!

I am at a loss for words!

That is unusual use for a construction vechicle.

Its a Schwing Boom, and they are available for fire service. Several industrial departments have ordered them.

They've been out in industrial brigades for over 15 years. The last NYS chiefs show at the Concord (early 1990's) had one. They can be set up to flow up to 4,000 gpm from the boom

Its a Schwing Boom, and they are available for fire service. Several industrial departments have ordered them. They area very useful. Here's a link to Carlstadt FD with their Schwing.

http://www.carlstadtfd.org/truck1.htm

That is some truck. Thery are great for trench rescues and all that good stuff.

That is some truck. Thery are great for trench rescues and all that good stuff.

trench rescue? how?

Ok, I guess if you have it pre planned for such use and it is available, wouldnt waste $$$ to go out and buy one just for surround and drown. the outcome is going to be the same with or without that rig. What am I looking at in the background, is that one or two guys on the end of that stick while it is flowing water???

trench rescue? how?

a) Fill the trench with 3,000 - 4,000 gpm and let the victim float to the surface

B) Fill the trench n with concrete and place a nice marker at the site.....rescue over.

Ok, I guess if you have it pre planned for such use and it is available, wouldnt waste $$$ to go out and buy one just for surround and drown. the outcome is going to be the same with or without that rig. What am I looking at in the background, is that one or two guys on the end of that stick while it is flowing water???

Its intended to surround and drown fires in chemical plants & refineries, for them its worth the $$$$

Good eyes.....nice point.

Its a Schwing Boom, and they are available for fire service. Several industrial departments have ordered them. They area very useful. Here's a link to Carlstadt FD with their Schwing.

http://www.carlstadtfd.org/truck1.htm

waynesWorld.gif

SCHWING!!!

704002.jpg

Ugly as "heck".....

704003.jpg

But AWESOME as all "heck"!!!

Edited by xfirefighter484x

So, like, is a Teamster required to operate the boom ?

:unsure:

Doesn't Pierce offer the Schwing exclusively?

Mike

Just by looking at that picture of the Carlstadt rig, I saw it was an HME, and on the webpage for their fire company, this information is listed.

This new apparatus has a 10-man HME cab, a Marion body, and a 115' SCHWING aerial that has 4 articulating booms.

how many safety officers have to watch that boom when it is in use, we (as a fire service) have enough trouble with a straight aerial around wires. I guess the idea is to never have to escape from that roller coaster cus how the hell do you get down no second means of egress lol

And good point about industrial use that i can see as a place for this monster

I've seen a Schwing boom used in the same way in the past.... Here are some other uses I've seen for concrete pumping equipment in the fire service.....

At a brush, wildland or mountain fire, use portable (pickup or atv towed) concrete pumps to set up water supply deep into the areas where traditional supply won't reach.

At a major event where tankers are needed, but not enough are available, use standard concrete delivery trucks as a supplement to tankers. Place them in thier own dump zone so that offloading them doesn't interfere with the faster moving dedicated fire service tenders.

At construction (high rise) fires where standpipes aren't in place yet, and you cannot reach the fire with an aerial device, use the existing concrete pumping sub stations to supply water to the fire floor.

From this site.....http://firegeezer.com/page/2/

This truck is operated by a Wallace fireman and they have adapted it to be used as an aerial device if needed. We used it in Warsaw at a commercial structure fire downtown in 1997, at Carrolls Mill twice in the past few years and has been available if needed. It is set to recieve several 3″ lines or 5″ and has a discharge on the end if you need to hook a smaller wye on it. The time I remember using it was on Carrolls Mill, we had a 2.5″ x 2.5″x2.5″ wye hooked to it. It is very useful being there is no aerial device in Duplin County. Recently 2 departments around in border counties have obtained such aerial devices.

Sincerely

Lee Kennedy

Assistant Chief

Faison Fire & Rescue

Comments:

Lt KGP said …

In Seattle we have used concrete pumpers at ship fires. However, it’s the concrete, not water, that we used to seal the gap between heat-warped steel decking and hatch covers. After sealing with the concrete slurry, we can start applying CO2 into the hold(s) on fire.

As for the real topic, this is a great idea. Whoever thought of this is imaginative and thinks way outside the box. As well, all of the other ideas posted are great as well. I mean didn't they recently use the water supply on a concrete delivery vehicle to try to put out a car fire on I-684? If you can't adapt and figure out a way to "win" then maybe you should re-think your way of thinking!

No, operating engineers.