Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fire Sprinklers At Home Depot Hawthorne

6 posts in this topic

While at Home Depot in Hawthorne last year, I noticed this sprinkler in a unique location. This is the first time I've seen such placement....is this becoming standard for building supply centers?

post-11-1218468997.jpg

The Gap distribution warehouse in Fishkill had them intermixed in the their warehouse racks. The thought being if a fire started at the bottom of the rack, the sprinkler above it would trip before reaching the top of the rack and destroying all of the product. They also do not use wooden pallets, all items are stored on solid 1" thick Oak boards. All fork trucks/lifts were battery powered. They also had two 250,000 Gallon water tanks with both electric and diesel pumps.

That's for the rack storage. Also take into consideration if the sprinkler riser shares the same riser as the standpipe. Take notice of the standpipe hose connection in the store also the type of standpipe class1 or class2 go to the tool section and grab a walking ruler and measure how far from the hose outlet to the furthest point you may find it better to strech a 2.5 from your rig and forget the standpipe hose connection in these "wide-rises"

Home Depot installs these individual rack heads in all their flammable product areas such as spray paint. I assume this is part of NFPA 13, but when HD came here they told us they would provide these heads and the state sprinkler plans review OK'd it. Thankfully I don't have to try to review sprinkler plans too!

I would say that most Home Depots have this in thier stores, Brewster as well as Danbury have them. Got to see them while the Brewster HD was being built.