Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

Quint vs ladder

19 posts in this topic

Specifically, whats the difference between a "quint" and a regular ladder truck? Is it simply the tank/pumping capabilities?

Specifically, whats the difference between a "quint" and a regular ladder truck? Is it simply the tank/pumping capabilities?

There have been a few previous discussions about this... but to answer your basic question:

A true Quint has a pump, water tank, fire hose, aerial device, and ground ladders. (Five things... Quint... get it?) Then you get into what NFPA says is a Quint, what your county says is a Quint, what your department... you get the idea.

Quint can also refer to:

jawshiresphotos001.jpg

Edited by 242steve

Quint stands for do more with less.

That really depends on the department and the spec of the apparatus. A Quint can be a very versatile piece of apparatus, and down here in Central Texas they are very popular....and they don't use them to replace and engine or truck company in most cases..

There have been a few previous discussions about this... but to answer your basic question:

A true Quint has a pump, water tank, fire hose, aerial device, and ground ladders. (Five things... Quint... get it?) Then you get into what NFPA says is a Quint, what your county says is a Quint, what your department... you get the idea.

Quint can also refer to:

jawshiresphotos001.jpg

We're going to need a bigger boat !!!!

Bingo! While some can use them successfully, it cannot be overlooked that dedicated company personnel are better at their particular functions when that is what they do, period! I find it hard to believe anyone can dispute this fact, though many try.

That really depends on the department and the spec of the apparatus. A Quint can be a very versatile piece of apparatus, and down here in Central Texas they are very popular....and they don't use them to replace and engine or truck company in most cases..

I have never seen a quint that can handle all the functions of an engine and a truck. Every time a dept sells the switch to or addition of quints the first thing they talk about is how it is dual purpose and can be used as an engine or a ladder. It can only be used as a quint. If the dept can come to terms with that, then it can be useful.

we moved from what is the difference between a "ladder and a quint" to how it is manned and used. I have worked with a "quint" in my dept for 20+years. We call it a tower ladder and use it as such. The term quint never comes up.

Bingo! While some can use them successfully, it cannot be overlooked that dedicated company personnel are better at their particular functions when that is what they do, period! I find it hard to believe anyone can dispute this fact, though many try.

I have never seen a quint that can handle all the functions of an engine and a truck. Every time a dept sells the switch to or addition of quints the first thing they talk about is how it is dual purpose and can be used as an engine or a ladder. It can only be used as a quint. If the dept can come to terms with that, then it can be useful.

I come from a department (Ardsley Quint 1, now known as Ladder 50) that, during my tenure, operated a quint very succesfully as a first-due structural apparatus.

I know staffing down here on Austin FD's Quint companies are a firefighter-apparatus operator, officer, and FOUR firefighters (most of the time) for a total of 6 assigned to a Quint company. I've seen them put to work utilizing both the aerial for members to access the roof and stretch a handline on the first due, even with an engine arriving at the same time.

As far as basic structural firefighting, it's not rocket science. The average firefighter should be able to learn and maintain profiency in both. Having guys who can only do "truck" or "engine" work on a fire scene is a waste, having firefighters who can do both makes them more versatile, in both career and volunteer departments with limited manpower.

But then again, I pay 1/4 of the taxes I paid in Westchester to live here, and have far better fire (and EMS) coverage, with career departments with appropriately staffed apparatus all around me. I guess it's a whole different world.

I don't feel we've moved off topic, as some people obviously have different definitions of Quint.

We have a quint, but it is considered a Tower Ladder and Truck company work is it's primary role. It's nice having an additional pump and hose in case we really need it. A couple of times we've had it arrive first and put the crosslays to use, and only one time I can think of we had the aerial up and two lines in use.

I have heard that St. Louis, the home of the "Quint Concept," is getting away from it because guys never know if they're taking up Engine Company or Truck Company duties. Not sure if it's true but I could see that. One run you are an Engine and the next a Truck, so on the way in you're switching up duties for the guys on the rig.

One thing I learned taking the Aerial Ops class with Mike Wilbur is that most quints don't have room for all the ground ladders a true Truck carries. Luckily ours has the full compliment.

I have heard that St. Louis, the home of the "Quint Concept," is getting away from it because guys never know if they're taking up Engine Company or Truck Company duties. Not sure if it's true but I could see that.

I was told that the move was more due to finances and a new chief's administrative preferences then actual field operations. Especially since a Quint costs much more to purchase and maintain then a standard Engine. We shall see, from what I'm hearing there may be a very interesting solution in the works.....

I was told that the move was more due to finances and a new chief's administrative preferences then actual field operations. Especially since a Quint costs much more to purchase and maintain then a standard Engine. We shall see, from what I'm hearing there may be a very interesting solution in the works.....

Which is.......

Which is.......

I can't say, but I wish I could!

Reality is the most important factor to consider when purchasing a quint.

A 75ft single axle quint is an engine with an aerial device. They should be labled as engines in the CAD as well... Yup.. Ladder 47, 50, 10, 52.... should all be running as engines.

A 100ft tandem axle quint is a truck with a pump, tank, hose.... It's never going to be a driveway piece.

Where departments make HUGE mistakes is when they kid themselves (exit reality) and think that a 100ft quint on tandems will replace an engine, OR a 75ft quint on a single will replace a truck.

I cant stress it enough... reality is the most important factor when considering the purchase of a quint. Basic rule of thumb... 75footers run as engines 100footers run as trucks and there isn't much room between.

Are there any quints in service here in Westchester? I can't think of any off hand without looking it up.

There are a bunch. Off the top of my head in Northern Westchester. Mohegan L-10, yorktown(maybe), Somers is getting one, Milwood i believe is looking, Katonah. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

To the best of my knowledge, the in-service quints in the Westchester County, as to the best of my knowledge and LFD171's site, are: L50, TL27, TL44. L16, L55, TL21, TL1, L4, L56, TL12, L36, L52, L10, L35, TL8, L47, TL45, TL53, L30, TL78, TL46, L34 and L51.

The textbook definition of "Quint" has been applied, meaning that the apparatus has a pump, tank, ground ladders, hose and an elevating aerial device.

For those who aren't familiar with the apparatus numbers....

L50 Ardsley

TL27 Chappaqua

TL44 Croton

L16 Eastchester

L55 Elmsford

TL21 Elmsford

TL1 Thornwood (Not a quint it has no tank)

L4 Greenville

L56 Hawthorn

TL12 Hawthorn

L36 Irvington

L52 Millwood

L10 Mohegan

L35 Mohegan

TL8 Montrose

L47 North WP

TL45 Peekskill

TL53 Purchase

L30 Rye Brook