Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Would you do this ?

29 posts in this topic

QUESTION: Would you perform this evolution or order a FF under your command to do it ?

post-839-1142124169.jpg

credit: Cincinnati Enquirer/Glenn Hartong

The firefighter, slowly reaches toward a cat as it hangs off of the gutter of a two-story apartment building. Residents called the fire department to rescue the cat, which had been on the roof for days. The cat chose to drop from the gutter (landing on its feet and running off) rather than be rescued.

source: Cincinnati.com

Edited by hoss

Absolutly not. Get a ladder near the cat, grap it and get it down. Who ever is doing that or is ordering him to do that should seriously look at what they are doing, or at least OSHA should be. We dont need another LODD or some cat.

I Would Be Under The Cat. I Would Rather Have A Cat Scratch Me, Then Have Broken Bones. If The Cat Really Wanted To Get Down He Would Jump.

Thomas

got to admit though, that is a cool pic. never seen a cat hang to anything like that. i almost though it was a goof or somthing lol. whats up with the hole in the side of the building and the broken windows anyways? looks kind of skechy....so here is what i am thinking, use a ladder, and if you say they didnt have one, then how did he get up there? normaly i dont think they have roof hatches on piched roofs...lolol. but to be honest, there could be somthing else to the story that we dont know.

I agree, there is limited info but it's a real photo. From this description, sounds like the nature of the call was just for the cat at a building which had suffered prior fire damage ("cat had been on the roof for several days"):

Lincoln Heights (Ohio) firefighter ______ slowly reaches toward a cat as it hangs off a gutter at the Valley Homes Apartment building on North Leggett Court.

Residents called the fire department to rescue the cat, which had been on the roof for several days.

Despite the rescue attempt, the cat eventually dropped from the gutter, landed on its feet and ran off

source: cincinnati.com

Maybe the cat is going to save the firefighter :o

...I think it can afford to fall; a cat's nine lives vs. the one of a firefighter.

Edited by BedfordFire

I've never seen a cat skeleton in a tree (or on a roof). It will find a way down when it damn well pleases.

I've never seen a cat skeleton in a tree (or on a roof).  It will find a way down when it damn well pleases.

Stranger,

you may start to see more cats in trees on the west side...they'll be hiding from all the bullets flying near your quarters.

I am all for public service, and out reputation among the public, but this is nonsense! Where is his fall protection?? Obviously a ladder would be a lot easier, and the cat just jumped down anyway. Call animal control we shouldn't be there IMO.

if it got up there, it can get down

All that - and the poor cat was just doing pull-ups to get in shape for the upcoming Fire Department agility test....

In all seriousness, no, I wouldn't do that nor would I let anyone else.

If you leave a can of cat food around or some dry food, the cat will eventually get hungry and find a way down, or at least we hope it does. Well, I guess we always have ladders, and if you have your turnout gear on you minimize the amount of scratching the cat will do to you, I know...

Kind of off the subject... In the fire academy we were presented with a slide show, the theme being "what you see from the front is not always the same in the rear." Mainly focusing on houses that drop down a few stories in the backyard, parapit walls in the front and sides of row stores and a clean edge between the rear end the roof, one of the ones that got everyones attention was the picture of a small one family home with a loose pitbull in the backyard.

Sending a firefighter up onto a roof to get a cat? Real bad idea. The cat will get down when its hungry enough, it won't sit there and starve to death. How would you explain to that firefighters family that he broke his neck for a cat on a roof.

Where's Tackleberry when you need him???

well max im glad you are retaining some of your training!!!! Good for you. now rememebr this

NO WAY SHOULD FIRE PERSONEL BE ANYWHERE NEAR THIS OPERATION. LEAVE IT IN THE HANDS OF PROFESSIONALS. ANIMAL CONTROL WILL HANDLE THIS PERIOD.

Whoa be the Officer if some one gets hurt- "I'm very sorry to inform you that your husband fell from the roof and broke his neck but the cats doing fine. I DONT THINK SO. OHH and to add to the mix a car just ran into our $900,000.00 ladder truck and we need a ambulance

you guys getting the picture yet??

but it is a cool pic

Would I...dog yes, cat maybe not. Hey I love dogs what can I say. Would I do it in this manner, no way.

I'm a big customer service based fire department guy, hey firecapt...maybe I've been in too many Brunacini lectures...lol. But sometimes we gotta do what we need to do for our customers. And when the crowd gathers and with kids hey what are you gonna do other then make it safe for your personal and for them.

I gotta say this, he's not the brightest, but at least he has good technique for what he is trying.

Remember....

Smart firefighters make dumb mistakes, dumb firefighters make stupid mistakes and right now he is a smart firefighter based on technique making a dumb mistake. That cat would be hitting ground right about now.

would you believe this, the cat has no tail is blind in one eye and homeless. it's name is lucky. :P

would you believe this, the cat has no tail is blind in one eye and homeless. it's name is lucky. :P

My only question now is how did that cat get on the roof, what did it want on the roof and who is that getting the cat.

Thats ok ALS we can disagree on things-- we are a service organization and the public is our costumer. I just dont think I'd put a firefighter in that position.

How many plumbing call have we been to over the years? God I shoud write a book but no one would read it but ALS!!! okok mabey Hudson would but after that I.m not sure.

Im sitting laffing at all the "service" calls I have been on over the years. Been some pretty funny ones. mabey in annother post I will tell some.

I agree capt. That is what animal control is for. We could assist them with ladders for good PR but I would stay in service for the next call. Where is his harness and safety rope? (the firefighters', not the cats :P )

My LT asked me once, as we were going to the cat in the tree call...

"Rob, have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree??" I 'bout fell out of my seat(belt), but the cat owner didn't quite see it as funny.

We are a service organization, and the call of last resort for many people. Go there, offer suggestions and do what you can. Remember, that person calling may be the one vote you need to get that new fire engine/house/gear/STAFFING...

I think those before me have covered the options pretty well.

R

Please tell probies are'nt being taught its ok to get cats off roofs. Even if theres a crowd you wan't to empress for good P.R. All they'll end up seeing is you chase a cat off a roof...Thump! Don't tie up your rig for this either. Fires come in at the weirdest times, you don't want to be the guy trying to load up ladders while a mile away some lady is hanging out a window. Sorry you had to jump, I was busy trying to get a cat off a roof. This is where disipline comes into play. You might want to show everybody you can get the cat, but then you realize its a bad idea........But go ahead and throw some cat food up there. Just take it out of the can first, would'ent want to hit the old lady in the head with that.

Wow, I would have kicked him off the fire grounds for pulling that stunt. No reason to be hanging off a damn roof without proper safety equipment! Our job is tough and dangerous enough without pulling stunts like that!!!

Stay safe!

~PUMP

Edited by PUMP

No I would not do or order anyone to rescue a cat or any animal like this. A ground ladder should have been placed under the cat. The cat looks like it is going to fall off so why reach over, cats always land on the feet.

Truckie45

Hey just look at the House it is trashed and it looks like it is abandoned which most likely means the cat is a stray and No one should be trynig to execute this type of rescue for a stray cat. I am all for Cats, Dogs, and other animals, but no one should put their lives on the line for a stray cat.

Edited by kfd-exchief

No I dont feel it is necessary for a fire fighter to do that thats why we have a thing called a ladder.