Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Porsha911gt3

Battery Operated Hurst Tools

8 posts in this topic

I am currently joining the fire department up here in Rochester. I went down yesterday and one of the guys was showing me their equipment. There was one thing in particular that caught my attention. On there engine is a battery operated Hurst Tool. It was a combination cutter spreader with blades that were about 8 inches long. Does anyone else run something like this. I didnt get the specs on it but does anyone know how long the battery lasts.

244_l.jpg

Somers R-20 has an electric tool in the front bumper. This is an awesome tool because you dont have to worry about cords and lines. It is also lighter and easier to handle. Rescue 20 also carries both Hurst tools in the back.

POWERHAWK RESCUE TOOLS

Edited by JM15

R-88 White plains has some sort of battery operated combo spreader/cut tool... they say its easy to use when a car is very deep into the woods or any other situation where the scene is remote or carrying the normal portable unit would be ruff or not fit.

Monroe in Orange County carries battery powered cutter/spreaders on Engine 543. One member once told me they came in handy at a structure fire in the back of a property where they had to cut a fence to gain better access for lines and equipment.

I've seen Holmatro's BCT 3120 at a show. Nice piece of equipment. It also has the benefit of using standard DeWalt batteries. I think it was supposed to run 10-15 minutes. Talking to the rep we were discussing tactics and mentioned that you do need to work differently to be most effective.

BCT%20and%20PowerShore%20DSC02271.gifBCT%20Fence%20DSC00491b.gifBCT%20Door%20DSC02378.gif

For example if you know you are spreading a door and making a roof flap when you need to reset the tool to reset your purchase point, maybe you can cut part of the roof while closing the blades to conserve battery power.

I'd love to have something like this on my engine to pop a door instead of having to rely on the rescue to turn up. There is talk of my department getting the power hawk system (on another engine) which would be an improvement.

I've worked with a PowerHawk system for several years now. While it does not have the power or operating speed of the traditional rescue tool, it has proven useful on several runs because of its portability. I would not recommend one for first line equipment, but if your budget allows, it does make a nice backup.

We have the Holmatro battery unit that was spoken of earlier on one of our engine companies and I can personally say I don't care for it. It is slow, underpowered, and unreliable. We have had problems with it when using it in the rain and unless battery maintenance is kept up the battery life is poor (like any other battery powered tool). We also do not have the problems of worrying about cars being deep into the woods and the associated portability issues of the standard extrication tools.

We have a Holmatro battery operated tool, for some force entries.... especially when we are doing multiple forces in high rises.

But I would make one suggestion when getting anything battery operated these days for any kind of rescue organization.

ROBO PAC!!!!

This will eliminate any issues with battery comsumption!! You won't need 4 or 5 batteries.... to constantly maintain.

One Robo Pac with a back harness, and a multitude of battery operated tools and you are golden!!

Our primary use for them is extriction with our Hilti, or Dewalt reciprocating saws for roof removal, or 3rd door creation... or anything else we need to cut. But we also have the attachment wires for all of our battery operated drills, demo-hammers, and some of our cutters. And of course.... the Holmatro battery operated combi-tool.

Good stuff people!!