Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BIGRED1

Hasty Harness

12 posts in this topic

Hey does anyone have a website that goes through how to make one with webbing? i had learned in a class once and just need to refresh myself on it. i am sure we could all use a little refresher on this stuff.

Are you talking about the "rescue knot" for lowering or a harness. I think I might know what your asking.

What you are referring to is called a "Swiss Seat"... For lack of a better description, it's a figure 8 with two bites (rabbit ears) to put your legs through like a harness... If you leave a little extra slack, you can wrap the rope under your armpits and tie off to itself to support your upper body. It's very effective to get your put out of dodge in a hurry when the brown stuff's hittin the fan. It's uncomfortable to be lifted by, but it works.

I'll try and find instructions online, if not I'll write them out and attach later this week.

are you talking about making the actual harness out of webbing, which is commonly called a swiss seat

Swiss seat demo

This is one website that I found that explains it, but there are easier ways to do it trying looking on millitary websites on google, or ask someone. This is just one way to do it but I do know of easier ways.

Oops JM15 beat me to it.

http://home.arcor.de/varn/rappel/swiss_seat.htm

This link is a more thorough way of doing it when you have the time. I'm looking for the pictures of the way I prefer which is to create the seat off your body and step into it... It's faster.

Edited by mfc2257

mfc2257 is right you probabally wont have enough time to do it the way illustrated on this website,(which one says that 90 seconds is a good time) I have learned easier ways that can be done in 8 seconds with your eyes closed. It is something that you cant describe over the internet you have to be shown. Maybe you can ask someone who has taken the rescue tech class because they showed me this easier and faster way.

Edited by JM15

Try this website for all your rescue- FD knot needs- www.animatedknots.com. The site shows the step by step method to tie most knots needed in the fire service. Follow the links for the hasty harness.

Im not exactly sure, but I do believe the hasty harness and the swiss seat are two different things. I will look it up, but the hasty harness is a quick make shift harness made by webbing that allows you to hook a biner to it and repel. The swiss seat has been around for a while now, ever since I have been in the service. Anyone else know for sure if theyre the same or different?

Also, Ithink that the fgure8 on double bight was an old school knot used to beat feet, I dont think it is the "Swiss Seat" which was also made with webbing. Its confusing with all of the knots coming out, Ive learned 3 or 4 different knot families now!!! :blink:

I would like to refresh though, anyone know for sure?

Jonesy

Im not exactly sure, but I do believe the hasty harness and the swiss seat are two different things.  I will look it up, but the hasty harness is a quick make shift harness made by webbing that allows you to hook a biner to it and repel.  The swiss seat has been around for a while now, ever since I have been in the service.  Anyone else know for sure if theyre the same or different?

Also, Ithink that the fgure8 on double bight was an old school knot used to beat feet, I dont think it is the "Swiss Seat" which was also made with webbing.  Its confusing with all of the knots coming out, Ive learned 3 or 4 different knot families now!!!  :blink:

I would like to refresh though, anyone know for sure?

Jonesy

You're absolutely correct, they are different. I was catagorically speaking when I mentioned it as a swiss seat because lots of folks will call it that.... Even though its not technically.

The harness or system of knots that I believe that everyone is talking about here is intended for quick solution to big problems that require you to go up or down an incline via rope assistance or lift... Not to do general rapelling with that should be performed with proper harnesses, rope, safety precautions, etc.

ALS i am looking for the one we learned in FAST training. it might be on these site but i am at work and cant look right now

Try this website for all your rescue- FD knot needs- www.animatedknots.com. The site shows the step by step method to tie most knots needed in the fire service. Follow the links for the hasty harness.

Animated Knots is a great site... I couldn't remember it before.

If you have time to make the Emergency Harness listed on the page, thats great.

If you need to make something REALLY F-ING FAST... Follow the instructions for the Bunny Ears. Practice and make sure that you make the loops big enough for your legs/thighs to fit through.... step into it and if you need to be lifted immeadiatly then hang on tight and make sure that you don't fall backwards out of the loops.... Also, watch your family jewels... This hurts... If you have another moment, you can leave some excess line when creating the rabbit ears and wrap it around and under your armpits and tie it back to itself to prevent you from falling backward if you need to let go of the rope. This is tricky as you have to tie the knot back to the line with one hand (as you maintain tension in the line with your other so that you tie it close to your breastbone/sternum area) that requires an overlapping method of which I'll need to get a better description from an old instructor of mine.... It's a modification of a knot that I know as "three follows two"... Which coincidentally is one of the only, if not the only life saving, load bearing knot that is recognized to make an inline anchor point on a rope.

All of this can be created in about 20-25 seconds. Just the rabbit ears should only take about 10 seconds.

I'll see what I can put together for this.

Edited by mfc2257

Attached is a hand out I use at work for knots and harnesses.

Trying to attach if you send me an e-mail I will be happy to send our knots and harness training document.

frank.palmietto@engelhard.com

Edited by 42truckie