Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Input On "Verified Member" Program

45 posts in this topic

How are you going to verify the info. The phone number I could see, by calling, otherwise my number is unlisted. As for which agency you work/volunteer for...Most prevent/ or should prevent the release of any info. Some may tell you, yes that person works here, some may not. I personally do not want to release my personal info, although my name is on my signature. Nothing against you Seth, but I personally do not trust websites with my personal info, who knows who can hack into this site, and take that info. As for age, again how can you verify this, but age has nothing to do with maturity. As a few others have mentioned, length of service has its good points and bad. What about the 20 year member, who only comes to wash/wax the truck, versus the 5 year member, who is gung-ho, and wants to take every class he can get scheduled for.

Edited by grumpyff

I am not asking nor am I soliciting personal information. As for the information that I stated would be asked for in my orignal post, that was just for example.....this program is still being developed. I don't want your "personal" information".

There are some simple things I am going to ask for, that would make a member validated by the terms of the program. I'm not going to be doing a background check on people, again, it would be some simple measures I'm considering like the member has a real name, affiliation, rank, valid email, is using only one username, has proven good repuation on this forum, has a minimum post count, etc. I have ways based on that information requested to correlate it and verify the member to the terms of the program. Unfortunetly, there may be a person or two who try to pose when it comes to the affilitation, but I'm working on trying to figure out how to prevent that.

And again, the participation in this potential program is completly optional, and is completly voluntary. Don't want to give the info, don't. We're continuing to develop this, and likely will run a beta/trial program soon. The reason I'm doing this is because a lot of members have requested something like this.

Here's my resume.

Lake Carmel Explorer 1987-1991

Lake Carmel Firefighter 1991-1998 (EMT 1996-1998)

FDNY Communications 1997-Present.

FDNY Buff going on 28 years, LA County Buff 5 years.

Fountain of useless information.

The screen name is my first name and my supposedly most alluring feature.

Sign me up! I think this is a great idea Seth!

How are you going to verify the info. The phone number I could see, by calling, otherwise my number is unlisted. As for which agency you work/volunteer for...Most prevent/ or should prevent the release of any info.  Some may tell you, yes that person works here, some may not.  I personally do not want to release my personal info, although my name is on my signature.  Nothing against you Seth, but I personally do not trust websites with my personal info, who knows who can hack into this site, and take that info.  As for age, again how can you verify this, but age has nothing to do with maturity.  As a few others have mentioned, length of service has its good points and bad.  What about the 20 year member, who only comes to wash/wax the truck, versus the 5 year member, who is gung-ho, and wants to take every class he can get scheduled for.

On the other hand, how about the 20yr. man who has a good 20yrs of credible

firefighting experience under his belt, versus the 5 yr man who has barely applied any of the knowledge he's so called learned in all the classes he's taken, let alone wash/wax the truck? And that's only if you can pull him away from washing/waxing his own vehicle! God Forbid :)

Absolutely--let's do it!!!

Members-

Just a brief update. We have decided to go foward with this project. We are still developing the concept, and hope to release the beta program soon.

Please continue with the input and ideas......everybody who posted, PM'd, and emailed with their thoughts helped formulate and further refine the idea. We hope this unique new program will be a step towards keeping this board a positive, constructive, and respectful place to exchange ideas and information.

I would have it like a profile thing no profile no posting rights and it will have to be a realy profile. just my 2 cents. keep up the good workl on the site.

if homer thinks its a good idea thats good enough for me count me in too.

good idea I am also in.

Great idea as long as the security of the information is guranteed. Who knows what someone would do these days with some info like that... like I said again, great idea.

i am in also as long as security of the info is guranteed ,, its a great idea lets do it