Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Police As Part Of The EMS Response?

30 posts in this topic

With the exception of Greenburgh where they have municipal paramedics some of whom are police medics and EMTs where else can you say that police are part of the EMS response? Carrying an AED and O2 makes you part of the chain of survival. Saying police are part of the EMS system would mean that their job description includes at a minimum CFR certification and the requirements for maintaining that certification. I am aware of places that incorporate in FDs the use of personnel trained at a CFR or higher level, have appropriate supplies, and they dispatch 100% of the time with that minimum standard formally set. Any thoughts on this? I think PD is great but how many PD, want to have the liability of being considered emergency medical responders without this being part of their official responsibilities with the appropriate continuous ongoing training and maintenance of recognized certifications?

I know of some police departments that respond to every medical call in their town or village (i.e. Town & Village of Chester PDs up here in OC). They carry O2 and AEDs. Most of them are trained in CPR. Some of them are current or former EMTs & CFRs. It is obvious that nobody from the DOH is going to step in and mess with the cops for doing what they do. I just think that if PDs are going to respond to medical calls that the officers should have some current level of certification form the DOH.

A few PDs here in Orange County are getting the hint. About 5-6 years ago the Village of Monroe PD began sending their cops to EMT class. Once they had a decent number of cops trained as EMT, they applied to DOH for BLS First Response certification. As far as I know, they are the only PD in the county that is a certified EMS agency. The PD cars carry the equipment that a fly car would carry. They also carry Epi-Pens and Albuterol. All of the cops get overtime to go to EMT class and they get an annual stipend for being EMTs (I think they get an extra $2000 a year). This is the correct way to do it. They have themselves covered by having EMS providers that hold current certification. Many of the cops are in the CME Recert Program. They get overtime to attend CMEs. It is a homerun for all involved. How can you not go to a CME if you are getting overtime to go.

I think that the Town of Woodbury is in the begining stages of becoming an EMS agency. I will find out more and provide an update when I get more info.

All our police officers here in englewood cliffs nj are trained EMT'S & all cars on any given tour carry AED and full First responder bag alot of the time they get to aided cases (ambo calls) before the ambo

I would have to say that the only way that a P.D. could truly be part of an EMS system is that they would have to have an agency code and fill out PCR's (ACR's) on all aided cases (along with the officers being certified, and adhere to DOH regs). Otherwise, they would just have to be considered part of the chain of survival. The liability and the economic strain on the P.D.'s budgets in Westchester prohibit the vast majority of them from becoming First Response Agency's.

Thanks for the info. Its good to see people are doing it right i some places. I think calling PD part of a three tier EMS response because they have an AED and O2 is just a way of giving the people a false sense of security to hide their own inadequacy or just plain ignorant as to what an EMS response really is. Or maybe both.

PD is a huge part of EMS response in Nassau County. As some of you may know, NCPD's Emergency Ambulance Bureau (EAB) consists of AMTs that are the primary EMS response in many villages. If a FD decides they'll be primary, chances are PD is an automatic secondary. In addition, any aided case called into 911 gets at least one PD car, which usually has at least an AED and O2. The decision regarding which ambulance goes depends on where the call is, and who is primary in the area. Very often you'll see a NCPD ambulance and a car respond to a call, and the 'regular' cop ends up driving the ambulance while the tech treats the pt. (NCPD ambulances are single-staffed). This often works against the dept. because obviously it takes that one car out of service for however long the transport process takes.

EMS response in the town of New Canaan, CT, consists of at least one police unit as well as EMS. All police officers that respond to EMS calls are certified at least to the MRT level. New Canaan's first responders are the police...thus, they have to know what they're doing once on scene because there is oftn a 2-minute gap between police and EMS dispatch. I think it's smart for a cop to respond, especially because you never know what can happen and when you may need an extra set of hands.

I read that piece in the Journal News and I don't believe I have heard the term "three tier" response. Sounds like a way to hide a deficiency in a system. Doesn't seem like it would be an expeditious way to get definitive care. On the patient perspective side I would think the first tier should be an ALS flycar/ambulance so the patient gets the highest level of care ASAP and triage as necessary. I have heard that you can be at a phone booth (do they still exist?) in MT Vernon and get an ALS ambulance in 3 mins...how long does it take to get definitive care when you have this "three" tier system??? Perhaps this is a situation in rural/farmland areas where EMS response can be extended?

In Rockland County, PD responds to every single EMS and FD call.

Now, as far as them actually doing anything once they get there, that usually depends on the individual officer and/or situation. I'm not entirely sure what, if any, minimum standards they're trained to, or if it's even consistent among the county agencies. I would guess they're all trained in at least the most basic CPR and perhaps some first aid, and basic fire safety. The Police Academy is held at the Fire Training Center and is the same for all county agencies...Sheriff, towns and villages...so I would also assume there is consistency as far as training, at least in the very beginning. There are, naturally, quite a few cops in the county that are also volunteer EMS and/or FD, so if one of them responds they're likely to be pretty hands on if the situation dictates. I've had and seen cops around here help lay hose, perform CPR, etc.

One thing is for sure though, regardless of whether they actually assist in EMS or FD operations, in today's crazy world it is nice having them around at every scene watching your back.

I have to agree in todays world you never know when you will need PD at a scene. Think about EMS gets dispatched for a victim of an assault, if its a paid EMS agencey chances are they will get there before PD, what if the suspect is still there. What good is EMS if they are injured or killed? However the other side of the coin is, sometimes PD gets in the way. I remember a call where I was driving the engine to a reported house fire and I pull up and there is a PD car right in front of the house. Good thing I was friends with the cop, my comment was to him "hey do you have a 500 gallon tank oin that thing, if not get the f out of the way". Like I said sometimes it is very important that PD gets to EMS calls first. Not mentioning any Dept names, but I remember an incident where the 911 center dispatched EMS first to an assault victim prior to calling the PD and EMS arrived on scene of a Robbery in progress with a gun.

In Rockland County, PD responds to every single EMS and FD call.

Now, as far as them actually doing anything once they get there, that usually depends on the individual officer and/or situation. I'm not entirely sure what, if any, minimum standards they're trained to, or if it's even consistent among the county agencies. I would guess they're all trained in at least the most basic CPR and perhaps some first aid, and basic fire safety. The Police Academy is held at the Fire Training Center and is the same for all county agencies...Sheriff, towns and villages...so I would also assume there is consistency as far as training, at least in the very beginning. There are, naturally, quite a few cops in the county that are also volunteer EMS and/or FD, so if one of them responds they're likely to be pretty hands on if the situation dictates. I've had and seen cops around here help lay hose, perform CPR, etc.

One thing is for sure though, regardless of whether they actually assist in EMS or FD operations, in today's crazy world it is nice having them around at every scene watching your back.

YPD sends a PO to EMS calls. Some are EMT's others just have o2, not sure whether or not they carry an AED.

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Cobleskill village police are dispatched to all village calls with us. They are CFR's and carry AED and jump bags with O2. This way if we need any police assistance with combative PT's or other sensitive calls they are always there before us and the scene is secure. They are a great group and help us all the time.

Glad to always have them but what I was specifically looking for is whether they can be considered part of your EMS system when they are not hired as such by PD and it is not part of their job description. Its missleading to publicize a great EMS system using response times of police on scene when they can only give you O2 and AED...can't treat unless its VFIB can't transport. Its certainly nice for the patient who may be suffering not to have to suffer alone till EMS does get there. Personally I would like to see a dual response with EMS on scene at the same time as PD which is the way it is where I work.

Tiered EMS response has been proven to increase survivability rates in large cities where it is used correctly and effieciently. The amount of true emergencies seen today is a very low percentage, so having a AED equipped RMP is very useful if the department and the officers are willing to get involved. I have seen both sides where officers are down getting dirty providing CPR and AED and then there are those that the AED is in the car and they are standing there waiting for you to arrive. Most of my experience with PD being part of EMS response is in areas where there are no career fire service to provide BLSFR. It is also my experience that even if they are EMT's or higher they will only provide oxygen and CPR being they are not BLSFR agencies. Up until a couple years ago, police officers and even certain fire service personnel had to be extremely cautious on what actions they took on medical calls if it was not part of their true assigned duties. This came after a disability case was rejected that it wasn't part of the police officers duty when he hurt his back I believe assisting with patient movement. The case was overturned, rightfully so. We all need assistance at times with movement and alot of other little things during a call. Now if we can only get the 911 system straightened out so the calls are handled more timely and transfered properly from PD to 60.

Having PD on scene is great. In my job, I work closely with the Putnam County Sheriffs and they are invaluable. When I have to respond alone to ALS or BLS jobs, it’s almost comforting to know that 1) I’m walking into a secure scene 2) the Sheriffs know where the majority of equipment is on the unit so on real-deal calls they become extremely helpful (IE: getting the stretcher set-up, helping with lifting those extra large patients, etc.) and 3) they can actually help with patient care

YPD sends a PO to EMS calls. Some are EMT's others just have o2, not sure whether or not they carry an AED.

YPD ESU officers are (I believe all) EMTs

That YPD is the Yorktown Police, the "other" YPD. Yonkers ESU officers are all EMT-D.

In my Town, all Patrol cars have AED'S and 02 duffle bag with minimal supplies. A patrol car is sent on any AIDED, FIRE Call, etc... It is not a requirement to be and EMT and the training that you get in the Police academy is very short. We do have quite a number of Officers that were and still are involved in EMS prior to becoming PO"S. That is a good thing especially for when the Medic gets on scene. More hands to help out.

Officers currently in the Westchester Police Academy haved recently completed the EMS cycle about 52 hours. Some of the training is CPR, Airway Managment, Choking, O2, AED, First Aid, Bleeding Control, BSI, Blood Born, Pregnancies, Haz Mat,Vehicle Extrication.

For us all sector cars carry an AED, O2, and a BLS bag. A Cop is sent on all calls. All of our ESU Officers are EMTs.

Edited by HDQTRSWP

the primary reason that PD's go is that they answer all "CALLS FOR SERVICE" , what people dont reliaze is that the ONLY answer to the EMS problem is not PD,FD or anything else except to finally come to terms that EMS is just as important as the other "2" services. Untill that happens nothing will change, EMS is a VITAL service and should be treated as such. I know that if my precious child was in dire need of help I dont want to wondewr while we wait what particular problem is going to have an effect on if my child lives or dies. Forgive me for being so morbid but people have to wake up. The answer is not will a sector car show up? Will an engine show up? The answer is we need the "AMBULANCE" to show up,with 2 trained experinced EMS personel that do this "JOB" all the time. I dont know maybe I am funny that way but my family is worth it isn't it?............

P.S. I am in no way anti anything I am just "PRO EMS"

WOW! someone finally gets it! YES, your family is worth it and I have been wondering this whole time with the Town Board doesn't get it. One Board member keeps referring to her job being "cost analysis" and utilizing the least expensive not the best service. I would like her to tell me exactly what price she would place on a life. Is her family worth more than mine? is a child worth less than a wage earning adult? or more because of their future potential? As far as the police response issue, every system I work in I have a police officer responding with me and I would never give that up, however I also do not expect a police officer to do something he/she is not trained or willing to do. I view the police presence as a safety benefit and an extra set of hands if they choose to help. People need to understand that if EMS assistance is not part of a police officers job and they are injured while helping us where does the liability stand? Unless a police department is certified as a first responding agency they should not be considered part of a tiered response. Yes, most police cars have oxygen and AED's which is great but not every call requires an AED and not every call requires oxygen and if the police are not trained in first aid and/or don't carry any basic first aid supplies then they are exactly what their uniform says they are - a police officer. A tremendous thanks to all the police officers who consistently help out, it doesn't go without appreciation.

Did anyone consider that on the PCR you do have to check off if PD was there prior to your arrival? That box is there because if they screw something up before your arrival, they are responsible. I think that makes them very much a part of the system since they do have(in my village at least) a basic level of medical training and 90% of the time they arrive on scene before you. Any unit that carries an AED and O2(and is trained in the usage), and responds to every single call that the ambulance and medic are dispatched to, is very much a part of the medical response system in my opinion.

In our village, the PD responds on most Medical calls, depending on thier availability and the severity of the call.

Our patrols have Oxygen units, AEDs and various medical supplies.

Unless something has changed, they are CPR-D certified and nothing more.

Back about 8-10 years ago, several of the CPD went through the EMT class. This was FANTASTIC - not only were they able to further treat patients, but they would ride the ambulance in to help out the crew when needed. This program, sadly, ended when those Officer/EMTs went to thier "Chief" (a term used loosely) and asked for a little more money and were denied. Once the 3 years came up, they all let thier certifications go. I only wish that they would be given a stipend and were able to bring this excellent service back to our Village.

If I'm not mistaking, our PD has been credited with a couple of saves over the years too. It's always nice to pull up on a job and see them already doing CPR or administering O2 and potentially making a crucial difference.

Hey, does anyone remember those demand valves? That's one thing I am GLAD has gone to the wayside. I used to think a demand valve to a cop was like a "Q" pedal to a fireman......hold it down until someone yelled "stop!"

Did anyone consider that on the PCR you do have to check off if PD was there prior to your arrival? That box is there because if they screw something up before your arrival, they are responsible. I think that makes them very much a part of the system since they do have(in my village at least) a basic level of medical training and 90% of the time they arrive on scene before you. Any unit that carries an AED and O2(and is trained in the usage), and responds to every single call that the ambulance and medic are dispatched to, is very much a part of the medical response system in my opinion.

You also have to cjeck off whether a citizen was helping when you arrive, so are they responsible? no. it's under the good samaritan law. I'm not saying they do not help with the EMS system but as previously stated not every call requires an AED or oxygen, so it's great their trained in the use of it but what if they don't have to use it? then they stand there and wait for the first EMS unit.

You also have to cjeck off whether a citizen was helping when you arrive, so are they responsible? no. it's under the good samaritan law.  I'm not saying they do not help with the EMS system but as previously stated not every call requires an AED or oxygen, so it's great their trained in the use of it but what if they don't have to use it? then they stand there and wait for the first EMS unit.

So basically if they don't fill out a PCR they are not part of the EMS system. Their job requirement along with certifications CFR or higher would dictate whether they are EMS providers. If PD were part of the system would they not have an agency code and be recognized by the state? I guess this could boil down to response times and being able to say help is on scene while you wait for appropriate medical attention. This is exactly why EMS will not gain the proper recognition they deserve. The public has no clue as to who is responding and what they can do especially during emergencies. Citizens outside the healthcare field need to be educated so they know what they are getting and demand a certain standard of care that will make a difference.

This coincidentally came in an email to me about another area with EMS issues. Boils down to public awareness and getting EMS out of the hands of politicians who have no education...in this field. I cut out the parts that could identify the person who is not part of this group.

We have city councils and county commissioners that will spend money

on pet projects like lighting a baseball field but claim poverty when

funding EMS comes up.

We have local politicians who would let the lowest bidder come in and

provide substandard (at best) EMS to an entire city or county.

We have unscrupulous private ambulance operators who pay minimum wage,

use an absentee medical director, and who push the edges of legality in

regards to billing.

We have some EMS services that hire anyone with a "patch and a pulse,"

pay them slave wages, treat them poorly, make the medics work 8-12

shifts sitting in a deserted parking lot, and factor the cost of hiring

a new "sucker" into the cost of doing business.

We have some so-called "educators" who think that EMS education

consists of following the bare minumum curriculum, showing PowerPoint

slides, reading from the instructor's edition of the textbook, telling

"war stories," and reassuring students that "once you pass National

Registry, you don't need to know about that."

Is it any wonder that the public still calls us ambulance drivers? Is

it any wonder that in some communities, it's easier to get a pizza than

an ambulance? Is it any wonder that several Texas counties have signs

warning that EMS service may not be available?

There's no easy solution. If there was, we wouldn't be having these

discussions. But I'll issue you each a challenge. Make it your personal

mission to inform at least one person (it can even be friends or

family) exactly what EMS does and why we make a difference. Give a kid

a tour of your station and/or rig. Check a blood pressure for an

elderly person.

The good PR we generate tomorrow is the raving fan who will come

before the politicians tomorrow to support us.

Just my $0.04 (adjusted for inflation and to pay my gasoline bills)."

YPD ESU OPERATES 3 ESU TRUCKS AND ALL MEMBERS OF ESU ARE TRAINED AS EMT-D'S AND WE HAVE SOME PARAMEDICS THAT HAVE EXPIRED, BUT ALWAYS LEND A HAND TO EMPRESS. YPD ESU CARRIES FULL TRAUMA BAGS AND AED'S AS WELL AS KED'S, BACKBOARDS, STOKES RESCUE BASKETS AND OTHER ASSORTED MEDICAL EQUIPTMENT. YPD HAS A SPLIT RESPONSE TO MOST CALLS. YFD AND EMPRESS HANDLING ANY SICK, CHEST PAIN, CARDIAC, SEIZURES AND GENERAL MEDICAL CALLS. ESU AND EMPRESS HANDLE ALL TRAUMA CALLS SUCH AS GUN SHOTS, STABBINGS, FALLS, ASSAULTS ETC. WE HAVE A JOINT RESPONSE ON UNCONSCIOUS PERSONS, MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS, PEOPLE CHOKING, SCAFFOLDING/ BUILDING COLLAPSES ETC. I BELIVE THIS SYSTEM IS SET UP WELL AND GENERALLY ALL WORK WELL TOGETHER.

Advanced Search

March 2006

The Public Safety Model: A Homeland Security Alternative

By James M. Bradley, Chief of Police, and Richard L. Lyman, Chief of the Fire Bureau, White Plains Department of Public Safety, New York

Photographs courtesy White Plains Department of Public Safety

errorist attacks in Madrid, London, and most recently Amman, Jordan, as well as threats to the New York City transit system and financial institutions in New York and New Jersey, have demanded the attention of public safety officials.1 The devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina2and the public health threat posed by emerging infectious diseases such as the avian flu3 add to the demands on emergency responders and tax already stretched resources. These incidents and issues, individually and collectively, suggest that political leaders and public safety officials must think differently and explore alternative models to prevent, respond to, and mitigate a crisis.

During a crisis, public safety officials must respond quickly and creatively to circumstances not previously encountered. There must be collaboration and coordination among public safety officials, political leaders, government and nongovernment organizations, and the public.

Several models of collaboration and cooperation among emergency preparedness agencies exist. This article discusses one of those models: the White Plains Department of Public Safety, in which police, fire, and emergency medical services are brought together under a single commissioner.

Photographs courtesy White Plains Department of Public Safety

The City of White Plains

White Plains lies approximately 25 miles north of Manhattan. Major highways and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority rail system service the city. The city's diverse resident population is approximately 54,000, and the daytime population swells to 250,000 as workers commute into the city daily. This daily increase requires the department to protect more than three times the resident population during any given day. White Plains is the seat of Westchester County government and is the region's judicial center. Federal, state, county, and local courthouses are located in the city. It is the headquarters for several major corporations including Nine West, Heineken, and Snapple. It also provides two large retail shopping centers servicing Westchester and Putnam Counties in New York and Fairfield County in Connecticut.

The White Plains Department of Public Safety was established in 1916 and has functioned as a government entity for purposes of budget and administration under a commissioner since then, but in many ways the concept of a single public safety agency never permeated the organizational structure. The police and fire bureaus had separate identities and histories. Although both bureau chiefs reported to the same commissioner and conflicts were rare, neither bureau felt compelled to describe success in terms of the other's achievements. As a result, new programs were developed and defined individually.

Unified Communications System

In 1997 the department took a significant step toward building a more collaborative public safety agency when it combined police, fire, and EMS communications. Initially, it was a difficult process. Each bureau worried that a unified communications system would lead to operational problems and would diminish their identity. But the integrated communications system has not only strengthened department operations but also proved invaluable to building cooperation and collaboration among fire and police personnel during routine activities and emergencies.

Public Safety CompStat Meetings

In the months following the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the department renewed its efforts to integrate police, fire, and EMS operations. Weekly CompStat meetings became, and continue to be, the driving force behind the department's cultural change and accomplishments. The meetings are chaired by the commissioner and attended by senior police and fire commanders. During the meetings, performance data is presented and the operations of both bureaus reviewed. Questioning is direct and requires each commander to identify critical issues, emerging patterns, and solutions to problems. Police commanders generally begin with a statistical depiction of current crime activity. Commanders identify factors that have driven either an increase or a decrease in crime. Subsequently, fire commanders describe fire and emergency medical responses, life safety inspections, and other operational issues.

During the past three years, the department has achieved significant results through the CompStat process and other organizational and operational changes. For example, crime has decreased by more than 35 percent in White Plains. In 2005 the number of structure fires decreased by 10percent from 2004. Confronted with over-crowded housing in the city, police and fire commanders identified at-risk locations, created bilingual safe housing education programs, and built partnerships with other city agencies to provide needed social services to a growing immigrant population. Police-fire collaboration has also helped proprietors develop and implement life-safety plans in all of the city's bars and restaurants.

In White Plains, police-fire collaboration has led to service enhancements that go beyond addressing routine issues. The leveraging of public safety resources has led to greater efficiency and effectiveness for personnel from both agencies. Daily collaboration between police and fire commanders on crime, fire, and quality-of-life issues has established a strong base upon which to build a comprehensive emergency preparedness program.

Addressing Terrorists Threats

The Department of Public Safety has adopted an all-hazards approach to emergency preparedness, recognizing that al-though some specialized capacity is need-ed to combat terrorism, it makes no sense to separate terrorism from other issues, such as industrial accidents and explosions, building collapses, floods, and mass evacuations. The Indian Point nuclear power plant is less than 10 miles from White Plains, and Kensico Dam, which holds back much of New York City's water supply, is just three miles away.

The department has approached emergency preparedness by strengthening its internal capacity and building strong relationships with outside jurisdictions. As recent events have demonstrated, human-made or other emergencies can quickly overwhelm the logistical and other capacities of a single jurisdiction.

In July 2003 the department placed two highly trained and specialized units into service: Fire Rescue 88 and the Police Emergency Service Unit (ESU). Rescue 88 significantly expanded the fire bureau's ability to conduct collapse, trench and confined-space rescue, heavy vehicle extrication, ice rescue, and hazardous materials operations. The primary mission of the ESU is to provide immediate tactical support to police operations and to augment the emergency medical services provided by the department's contract ambulance services.

Members of both bureaus have completed extensive training in their specialized areas as well as jointly participated in weapons of mass destruction and other domestic preparedness training opportunities offered by state and federal agencies. In September 2005 the department established the Unified Special Operations Command, which brought together the fire rescue and hazardous materials units, the police special response team and emergency service unit, and the emergency planning function under the joint command of a deputy fire chief and a police inspector. The command is housed and operates out of its own facility, a former fire station.

The department is a member of a special operations task force created by the county's career fire chiefs. The task force responds to major incidents involving hazardous materials and weapons of mass destruction as well as technical rescue emergencies. In addition, the police bureau's special response team participates in an interagency tactical response team that draws on local, county, state, and federal assets.

The department has sponsored and participated in several large training exercises which have brought fire, police and EMS resources and task force operations together to test local as well as county-wide capabilities. Recognizing the critical role the community plays in emergency preparedness, fire and police instructors have trained approximately one hundred members of the community emergency response team (CERT) program. The department established a private security working group, conducts regular infrastructure surveys, provides terrorism awareness training, and maintains close relations with public health providers.

Routine Collaboration

The White Plains public safety model offers a command and administrative structure for emergency response. This model stresses collaboration and cooperation regarding routine public safety issues and challenges to effectively and efficiently leverage public safety assets. Homeland security grants are applied for and equipment and other resources acquired consistent with the department's mission versus police or fire bureau proclivity. Under the public safety model, building relationships with other local, county, state, and federal agencies, public health officials, the private sector, and the community have strengthened the department's ability to prevent, respond to, and mitigate crisis events.

The process of integrating police, fire, emergency medical services, and the various other disciplines and agencies necessary to provide a comprehensive emergency preparedness program is a difficult task. But responders must train together, develop common operating procedures and tactics, purchase equipment in concert, and have mutual trust and understanding if they are to be successful in preparing for, responding to, and mitigating large scale emergencies and crises. The public safety model offers one alternative to building cooperation and collaboration among emergency preparedness agencies. ■

1 The 9-11 Commission Report: Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, Official Government Edition (Washington, D.C.:

U.S. Government Printing Office, 2004); available at no cost at (www.gpoaccess.gov/911/index.html). See also MIPT Terrorism Knowledge Base, "Incident Profile," July 7, 2005,(www.tkb.org/Incident.jsp?incID=24394), December 23, 2005. The July 7, 2005, London bombings were a series of coordinated suicide bombings during the morning work rush hour on three London underground trains and one bus. The bombings killed 52 civilians and injured more than 700 people. See also MIPT Terrorism Knowledge Base, "Incident Profile," March 11, 2004,(www.tkb.org/Incident.jsp?incID=18518), December 23, 2005. The March 11, 2004, bombings killed 191 people and injured over 600 people when 10 bombs detonated in four different locations on Madrid's train line.

2 Rick Fuentes, "Operation LEAD: New Jersey's Statewide Response to Louisiana in the Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina," The Police Chief 73 (February 2006): 36-50. Also see Donald D. Dixon, "Hurricane Rita: Lessons Learned," The Police Chief 73 (February 2006): 54-64.

3 David B. Mitchell and Elizabeth Olson, "Pandemic Influenza and Bird Flu: State and Local Law Enforcement Preparedness," The Police Chief 73 (February 2006): 14-22; "Quarantines: The Law Enforcement Role," The Police Chief 73 (February 2006): 26-32; Lee Colwell, "The Pandemic Influenza Plan: Implications for Local Law Enforcement," The Police Chief 73 (January 2006): 14-17.

From The Police Chief, vol. 73, no. 3, March 2006. Copyright held by the International Association of Chiefs of Police, 515 North Washington Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 USA.

The official publication of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

The online version of the Police Chief Magazine is possible through a grant from the IACP Foundation. To learn more about the IACP Foundation, click here.

All contents Copyright © 2003 - 2006 International Association of Chiefs of Police. All Rights Reserved.

Copyright and Trademark Notice | Member and Non-Member Supplied Information | Links Policy

515 North Washington St., Alexandria, VA USA 22314 phone: 703.836.6767 or 1.800.THE IACP fax: 703.836.4543

Created by Matrix Group International, Inc.®

A civilian providing care and a professionally trained employee are two different things. What some of us were trying to say is, if your gonna do it. Do it all the way and do it right. That goes for PD's and FD's doing BLSFR.

I think its a great idea to have PD and FD trained to EMT level. At least care could be started on their arrival if they arrive before EMS.

In some areas where EMS response times are longer (career or volunteer)for whatever reason, this early care, as everyone knows, could mean a great deal.

The more trained hands on the scene the better.

The question is does Fire and PD really want to do it though. I have been on many calls over the years with both PD and Fire EMTs there and they did nothing. IMO, I dont think either side wants to be botherd with it.