Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FASTeams at Brush Fires

12 posts in this topic

Back in November, while taking FAST, our instructor brought up an idea of having FASTeams respond to brush fires. Personally, I feel this is a good idea, becuase now you have a group of firefighters whose sole purpose is removing a downed firefighter rather than having firefighters who are already working hard, and probably exhausted remove a firefighter. Additionally, the FASTeam would have various tools that might be required to remove an injured FF e.g. stokes basket, various ropes etc. I would like to get some other departments feelings on this as well as see if there are any departments that already do this. Also, what are your feelings on having FASTeams sent to any major call. Just hoping for some feedback.

I think thats a very good idea because brush fires can turn on you and you can become stuck in the middel and why take a already exasted team to help them out. I think a FAST team is a excellent idea at brush fires.

I think that too many people only see FASTeams as needed at a structural fire, and during interior operations. As OSHA states, the 2-in 2-out policy must be there during operating in an IDLH. Brush fires are not to be taken lightly, just like any other fire emergency, the metaphorical brown stuff can hit the rotating blades at any time (yea, ok, the sh*t can hit the fan).

I personally do not see it as beign a bad idea. Brush fires can be very taxing on individuals, and exhaustion is a very real possibility.

Just my two cents.

While the typical Westchester grass fire that gets knocked down with a couple of hand lines a fast team may be overkill. However, at larger operations; especially where members become scattered and you begin to get into extended operations a fast team probably should be considered. Maybe set them up on one those hot little DES ATV's so they can zip around the scene.

We fight a lot of brush fires up here and I never realy thought of FAST at them. It is a good idea that I would now like to see our team do. We could acquire a 4 or 6 wheeler from some dept and use it as the FAST Four Wheeler and load it with stokes, rope, burn blanket, indian tanks and some hand tools.

Exhaustion is definately a factor at those fires, the last big one we had last summer sent 3 ff's to the hospital with heat exhaustion. They had to be carried out on our 6 wheeler a mile to the ambulance. Had we had FAST there it would have been easier to remove these ff's because those of us who did take them out were already beat ourselves.

Good Post. B)

Jonesy

that is a great idea, I can honestly say that I have never thought about that, I will definately keep it in mind as well as suggest it to the other officers in my department

having an fast team at brush fires makes alot of sense to me because of the

idea of firecrews getting tired at a scene.another idea would be having one of

those atv's there on scene. it also be for ems ops. at very big brush fires.

shac has one if you ever need it you can call 60 control for it sleepyhollow's atv

7325. :blink:

having an fast team at brush fires makes alot of sense to me because of the

idea of firecrews getting tired at a scene.another idea would be having one of

those atv's there on scene. it also be for ems ops. at very big brush fires.

shac has one if you ever need it you can call 60 control for it sleepyhollow's atv

7325. :blink:

Anytime you have a group of firefighters ready to bail out our own is a plus.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

Two weeks ago my FD had a ton of brush and woods fires. Several of them were at night in thick and rocky terrain. We had up to 4 FDs up there multiple brush units and ATVs. Because of this and for accountability purposes we took a box of old stand alone PASS devices and put them on our brush truck. We will now be issuing out PASS devices to members entiring the woods at brushfires especially large ones or night time ones. Just another idea. I think the F.A.S.Team idea is a good concept for wildland fires too.

Hey Mario do I happen to know that instructor?

Even if its a smaller incident, the FAST concept still can be valuable in both pyschological and physical well being of members. Just knowing someone is there with only you on their mind and agenda can give some sense of relief. Utilize additional resources from your own department at smaller incidents in the event a problem occurs. This ensures organized response and the equipment is at the ready to assist any members who become ill and/or injured.

Sounds like a good idea, that and

houlidsa wrotefor accountability purposes we took a box of old stand alone PASS devices and put them on our brush truck. We will now be issuing out PASS devices to members entiring the woods at brushfires especially large ones or night time ones. Just another idea

If you can, make sure those fast teams have extra cold water/gatorade availible., Something that could easily thrown on top of the other gear to cool off and re-hydrate any exhausted firefighter that requires assistance.

My department is currently working on SOG's for brush/woods fires. As of right now we can enter the woods to get a size up and try to knock down or stop the fire but if there is no structures threatened we stay out of the woods and wait for forestry to get there with the plows, on large scale fires our Wildfire team is alerted to respond. Good post, ill have to bring up fast team to the officers of the team.