Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

White Plains Mini Attack 32

11 posts in this topic

I heard that White Plains has a new Mini Attack. Is this true? If so any pictures or specs?

The information you recieved was wrong. The mini attack has been in service about 4 years, and there is no plan to replace it.

The only rig soon to go into service is a collapse rig . It is a retrofitted reserve engine with the pump removed.

I'm wondering why White Plains MA is called a "parking garage unit" in the pictures section. What does that mean???

Its called a parking garage unit because it is specially designed low profile to fit inside the parking garages provided there is some sort of call there- a place where the trucks and engines cannot fit.

Thanks for the correction. Any photos of the low profile unit or the specs on the reserve engine?

NYCFire.net has a photo of MA-32:

http://www.nycfire.net/gallery/whiteplains/ma_32

It's designated a Mini-Attack under county protocol, but it's primary role is as a parking garage unit.

It's funny how everyone when they see this unit thinks it's "new", because it's rarely seen out. It's got a specialized and unique purpose, but defintely an essential one given the numerous massive parking and underground structures in White Plains. I've been told this rig, when needed, responds as a second piece with the engine company it is quartered with, which I believe is Station 2,last I had heard???

Edited by x635

WPFD "mini attack"/garage unit is quarted at station 2 on Ferris Ave. Wedged between the engine and truck.

I appreciate the pictures. It is definitely a resourceful piece especially considering the amount of parking facilities WP has.

Although this unit is low profile for the parking structures, this vehicle's pump will only flow class A foam. This rig also has forestry hose, rakes and fire brooms on it. This rig was purchased after a bad brush fire season and the idea was to have a multi use vehicle. The only problem with this idea is that as a brush rig the clearance under the truck is too low for off road use, and for car fires it supplies the wrong type of foam.

Just to be the devil's advocate, is it really smart to drive a vehicle into an underground parking garage with a car fire in it?

I have been to one such fire with sprinkler activation and there was 0 visibility. And, having frequented White Plains, I seriously doubt they have underground garages that aren't sprinklered.

This vehicle is very nice, but it sounds like a brush truck, especially if it has class A foam.

Although brush equipment was added to the vehicle it was never intended to be used off road. We just wanted all of our brush equipment on one rig and being equipped with class A foam it worked out well. Class A foam can be used on car fires, just not flammable/commbustible liquid fires. There are Class B foam and dry chemical extinguishers on the rig for fuel fires. MA-32 would not be used on underground parking structure fires.