Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Scott Air packs-Are you Having problems?

9 posts in this topic

So lets see, since my Dept. has taken delivery of the new Scotts, I think we have paid for all of Energizers debts, due to us constantly buying batteries. Seems like the battereis need to be changed every month, and the problems with the packs are constant.

We have had these problems along with the battery issue:

1) heads up displays-not working, or reading incorrectly.

2) vibe alerts- going off prematurely or not at all

3) bottle changes- with the added buddy breathe, seems like its a little difficult doing your bottle change. And constantly banging into things, and another piece to get stuck onto.

4) AV3000 masks- great for visibilty but as soon as you are faced with some heat the face piece starts to melt. At a recent training exercise (flashover simulator) within 2mins of exposure the mask was deformed and put OOS.

So anyone else have similiar problems, or did we get a bad batch of equipment?

It almost sounds like a bad batch. I am no expert, by any means, but the whole fleet with the apparent same problem?

I just took the Scott Air Pack, 2.2 & 4.5 Maintenance course up at the Academy earlier this month, and I haven't heard TOO many problems with Scotts (everyone has their problems here and there), but that seems just a bit odd to me.

The Energizers in our Scotts last a good bunch of months, at the least 6, if not up to a full year (also depends on their frequency of use).

As for the Vibr-Alerts, either prematurely going off (sounds like a personal problem :o j/p), or not going off at all, that just seems a bit odd. Hopefully you have at least contacted your vendor, or local service rep and discussed it with them.

We have recently upgraded all of our "older" Scott's to the integrated pass as well as purchasing 2 new one's (not the NX) just a new pack with the integrated pass and heads up. Yes the bttery life is not what it used to be but it is controlling alot more. Another problem is when you are using them--if you consistantly wait for the alarm to start sounding (low volume) you will further decrease battery life. As for the face piece melting--we have had issues with the AV-2000 in the flashover simulator. That is a severe case--if it melted the face piece--did it compromise your gear? Flashover is definately a place (for us) to use brand new equipment as it tends to destroy everything.

Just my opinion though--I am sure there are those that will disagree.

Wow, thats not good. Dont they test all of the equiptment with heat at different teps and other tests and stuff before they hand them over to the departments. The older packs I would say are a little less conjested and easier to maneuver yourself in.

My department added the buddy breathe to our packs and they make it difficult to line up the bottle with the pack. However, when you are out of air and they can hook up to get you out, its certainly worth the burden.

We have the new Scoot Fiftys for about a year and a half now and no problems. The battery life depends how many times you use the system. Also to, make sure that you tuen off the air and bleed out the lines, because this keeps the LEDs activated if you do not, wasting the batteries. I had posted some things about this in a previous dissussion as well.

As for the mask, Scott did issue a recall last year for a set of medium size masks. The information is available on thier web site. The ring that holds the face peice to the seal could crack under high heat and extened prolonged use. This might be the problem yoiu are facing with th AV3000 masks, the same ones we use. Get the recall info now! They will fix it for you or replace them.

So lets see, since my Dept. has taken delivery of the new Scotts, I think we have paid for all of Energizers debts, due to us constantly buying batteries. Seems like the battereis need to be changed every month, and the problems with the packs are constant.

We have had these problems along with the battery issue:

Well my department also switched over last yearto the Scott Fiftys and we have also gone through a lot of batteries. Our problem is no matter how well you shut off the tank and bleed the system< air seems to still getout enough to charge the system enogh to activate the PASS. I have come in numerous times to the alarms going off and killing the batteries in the units. We were told it was a defect in the bottle valve.

Spend all that money and then waste more on batteries to keep it working. It's almost like buying your kid a new toy and having to keep a stock of batteries on hand!

Scott has agreed to pay for the batteries we have had to replace from their packs not working as they should.

Our Fire District as involed their Attourney in the matter, and Scott may not be happy soon.

1st Due, i know in Buchanan, we have had the battery issue with the Scott backs as well. We have a policy that no matter what, the batteries in ALL packs get changed every 6 months. However, it seems that alot of them are needed to be replaced before then. Its ridiculous how many batteries we go through for these things and batteries are not that cheap. Scott packs are one of the most important pieces of equipment in the fire service, so we must eat the cost and continue to purchase the batteries and replace them.

Other than the battery issue, we have not had any other major issue that i am aware of, with the Scott packs.