Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Blitz-Fire Portable deck guns.

16 posts in this topic

The portable deck gun we have now on our new engine is totaly worthless. I saw them try to set it up at a drill once and it took several ff's and 2 chiefs to try and figure it out. I did some research and found the Blitz-fire deck guns. Their light, portable, and easily deployed by one ff. I believe they are decently priced also.

Does anyone have these units? Has anyone worked with them before? Any pros and cons about them? Im bringing this up at our next monthly meeting (1st Wed of month) and would like any info about them.

Thanks, Jonesy

PS- METS RULE!!!!!! :lol:

I've only used them in demo's, but I prefer the Mercury Quick Attack from Akron brass. Simpler and smaller.

Town of Mamaroneck has a Portable Deck Gun on Engine 37. Ive used it before at a drill, its not bad at all I think. It Shoots a good stream and easy to direct.

O, but its not called Blitz Gun, I forget the Make.

MuellerkE37, It is on 37 right?

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

WE HAVE BLITZFIRERS IN LAGRANGE AND ARE HAPPY WITH THEM. THEY ARE VERY EASY TO SET UP AND USE. WE HAVE IT SET UP WITH A SMOOTH BORE AND WE ALSO HAVE A FOG TIP ITS MADE BY TFT HEARS WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT IT ON THERE WEB SITE TFT.COM

Blitzfire Portable Monitor

The Task Force Tips Blitzfire is a simple, light, and highly maneuverable attack monitor. The Blitzfire's low elevation angle makes it suitable for use indoors. It can go anywhere a handline goes while delivering much more water. If the Blitzfire starts to slide or lift the SAFETY SHUT-OFF VALVE automatically shuts off the flow of water. This patented safety feature reduces the risk of injury from an out-of-control appliance. The shut-off action slows near stroke end to eliminate water hammer. To reset the flow simply open the valve to any of six detent flow positions with the turbulence-free slide valve. The Blitzfire's discharge pivots make directing the stream extremely quick and effortless. A unique up/down pivot on the hose inlet allows the monitor to have stability even on porches, stair landings or the like. An anchor strap is included for safe operation on slick surfaces like marble floors. The main body is hardcoat anodized aluminum with a blue TFT powder coat finish inside and out.

THE NEW ROCHELLE FIRE DEPARTMENT HAS THESE BLITZ AKA MINI MONITORS ON EVERY ENGINE COMPANY AND THEY ARE GREAT. HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO USE THEM AT TWO SERIOUS FIRES RECENTLY AND THEY WORKED WELL.

NRFD NOW HAS THEM IN A MATTYDALE PRECONNECTED FOR FAST DEPLOYMENT.

THEY CAN BE PLACED IN SERVICE RAPIDLY,MUCH FASTER THEN SETTING UP A PORTABLE DECK GUN OR MUSTERING UP ENOUGH GUYS TO HANDLE A 2.5 IN LINE.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THEM,ESPECIALLY RUNNING WITH THE STRAIGHT TIP ON IT AND KEEP FOG TIP IN RESERVE FOR THOSE SPECIAL EVENTS, THEY WILL GIVE YOU MORE THA 500 GPM WITH NO TROUBLE.

A 500GPM STREAM IN 30 SECONDS OR SO, ISN'T BAD. IN THE PAST EVEN USED THEM INSIDE A STORE WITH A DEEP SET BACK.

We have this on our Engine 3, it is set up with 200' of 3" line. We have only used it for training and is easy to set and use. I like the emergency shutoff function as well. If the gun starts to move it shuts off. Also, you can hit it on the top with your fist and it will shut off alsoin an emergency.

Take the first tip off, use the second smooth bore tip, you'll get good water.

This is a lot beeter then climbing up on the rig to take off the gun and remount it. I think today that there is more room for error in setting up a stinger, especially if you do not mate it up witht e base. Have seen the come apart twice.

:lol: Thanks everyone for your input, I think I can definately get our dept to go ahead and outfit atleast our first due engine with one of these...than hopefully ALL of our engines after they see it at our first drill!

Thanks again. :)

Jonesy

PS- any more info would still be appreciated, thanks

Jonesy:

What kind of deck gun is it?

Not to stir anything up but my philosophy is this. If there is a problem setting up the deck gun from a apparatus in your department.....thats not a problem with the deck gun. That's a training issue. Get out with that deck gun and train until you get it down to what you find acceptable for setting it up.

Jonesy:

What kind of deck gun is it?

Not to stir anything up but my philosophy is this.  If there is a problem setting up the deck gun from a apparatus in your department.....thats not a problem with the deck gun.  That's a training issue.  Get out with that deck gun and train until you get it down to what you find acceptable for setting it up.

Yah, I know. If you have read any of my previous posts you would know the training problems we have in this county. Not all of us take training seriously. I do, and a hand full of the others do, but a lot of them dont. I like the saying, "Keep It Simple Stupid". Get a gun thats simple to use, and it makes things easier.

I find that beating my head on the wall and continuously getting frustrated with these pigheaded people is exactly what they want to see, so I have done exactly what a lot of old-timers have told me to do; sit back and let them embarrass themselves, question what they are doing a lot, make them use the dormant organ 3 feet above their a#@ and try and search for the answer they cant give because they dont train. So far it is working. We'll see.

I do see what you are saying though and would normally agree, but training in our dept to most members is a four letter word. Thanks for the input.

Jonesy

Edited by Jonesy368

"YOU FIGHT THE WAY YOU TRAIN" This is the motto of the Joseph Elias Fire Training Center, Fairfield Ct. Check out fdfairfield.com

Used them many a time, the stacked tips really give a nice wallop. Very easy to control and set up. Allthough i dont think they outfit them with a dual 2.5 inch inlet, that i think is the only drawback. Where as a portable deckgun persay usually has the siamese.

I have used both the blitz-fire and akrons version. I liked both of them but I found akrons to be smaller and easier to use. The one nice advantage to the blitzfire is its automatic shutoff feature, but i wonder if that might get set off at the wrong time accidentally. I think this is another good tool to have in our toolbox but in no way does it replace anything we currently use. It has its uses and seemes to perform very well especially when there is limited manpower. Just a note though, my opinions of this come from training with these devices only, havent had the chance to use them under fire yet, but I still would highly recomend them for if nothing else there ease of use.

Jonesy,

Don't forget that the deck gun and quick attack monitors are different animals. The deck gun was designed to give 1000gpm for extended operations on a surround and drown. The quick attack monitor was designed for quick deployment and quick knock down at 500 gpm (although there is a new mercury with 1000 gpm). In this months Firehouse they have a special feature for rural fire departments and one of the suggestions is to use the quick attack monitors.

The concept and the tool itself is a great idea. Maximum flow with minimum manpower. However, many disciples of a certain large department in the area still believe that the 2 1/2" handline is "the only way!!!"

This is great with 6 man engines and 100 firefighters showing up to a fire. Using the method mentioned, a 2 man engine in close proximity to a hydrant can get 500gpm flowing rather quickly. I'd like to explore its possiblilities.

SEVERAL WEEKS AGO, A QUESTION WAS ASKED ABOUT THE SMALL MASTER STREAM APPLIANCES SOMETIMES CALLED MINI MONITORS. I SAW NEW ROCHELLE USE ONE IN A FULLY INVOLVED STORE WITH FLAMES REACHING OUT THE FRONT WINDOW OVER THE THIRD FLOOR. WITHIN MOMENTS IT HAD THE FIRE MANAGEABLE NOT OUT OR UNDERCONTROL BUT ALOT LESS FIERCE.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THESE UNITS WITH 1 5/8 STRAIGHT TIP WHICH GIVES YOU 500GPM AT 80PSI BY THE BOOK BUT SOMETIMES MORE IN REAL LIFE.

EXCELLENT FOR A QUICK BLITZ KNOCKDOWN AND CERTAINLY ABLE TO ACCOMMODATE A FOG NOZZLE FOR THOSE SPECIAL EVENTS

The concept and the tool itself is a great idea. Maximum flow with minimum manpower. However, many disciples of a certain large department in the area still believe that the 2 1/2" handline is "the only way!!!"

This is great with 6 man engines and 100 firefighters showing up to a fire. Using the method mentioned, a 2 man engine in close proximity to a hydrant can get 500gpm flowing rather quickly. I'd like to explore its possiblilities.

Even if you're rolling out with 4 man engines and are runnign off tanker shuttles a 2 1/2 with a smotth bore is still a very effective tool that isn't used enough (IMHO)