Bedford Hills-Working Fire-5/21/04

17 posts in this topic

Date: 5/21/04

Times: 0441hrs TOW

Frequency:46.26

Units Operating:

Description Of Incident:

Writer: hudson144

430-111 bedford center rd on a structure fire,numerous tankers for water supply, truck from mt kisco to the scene.

0503- yorktown tanker- " a barn burner" to the scene.

x635 likes this

Bedford Center Road just west of the I-684 overpass.

BH E-199 supply from 4 drop tanks.

Tankers 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14, 15 on location as well.

x635 likes this

large fully involved barn fire on arival. multiple handlines and deck guns were used to knock down fire and to protect exposure which was about 10 feet from the barn. TL-57 was set up and knocked down the bulk of the fire useing the deck guns. All BHFD units operating w/ multiple tankers to the fire. Ossining with a engine and Plesentville with a ladder to cover.

x635 likes this

I'm in the process of downloading some great shots for seth to post ....hope to see them soon

x635 likes this

Date: 5-21-03

Times: 4:18 am, 1st dispatch by 60 Control

Location: 111 Bedford Center Rd, Cross of Stone Bridge Ln and Springhurst Rd

Frequency: 46.26 dispatch, Fire Ground 453.0375 ( County Tac 1)

Units Operating: Car 2031,2032,2033, E-199,E-198,E-197,T-5, TL-57,R-10, Car 2401, T-3, Car 2043, E-108, Car 2211, T-6, E-117, U-8, Car 2281,2283, U-13(FAST) L-43, Car 2141, Car 2142, Car 2143, T-1, Car 2331, E-98, Car 2372, TL-5, T-7, T-9, T-14, T-15, C+0 Zone 5 (1405), Battilion 16, County Car 2

Description Of Incident: Working Structure Fire/10-75, L- Shaped Barn; Approximately 300x300 in Length

Writer:Me/57truck

04:18 am 1st intial Dispatch for a report of an Large Unknown type fire on the property of 111 Bedford Center Rd. Car 2032 arrived 1st on scene confirming a working 10-75 with most of the L-Shaped barn fully involved with exposure problems on the #2 side of the structure and requesting a re-tone and additional tankers to scene. also, that only exterior operations were going to be used. E-198 arrived 1st due, and immediately puts its deck gun to work, to protect the exposure on side 2 from catching fire. Numerous handlines were stretched from 198 during the course of this incident. Also supplied TL 57 during the incident. T-5 was advised to drop its pool at the bottom of the driveway and start a tanker shuttle. E-199 used as source operations pumper and drafted from the portable pools, and relayed water to 198 who was in the court yard in front the Barn. TL-57 arrived and set it's aerial up to prepare for masterstream operations. Bedford E-108 used its portable pump to get water from a brook that was located on the property and supplied E199 wit additional water. U-13 took Fast and staged in front of the barn during the course of the incident and was later put to work during over-haul. All of the tankers once on scene established a tanker shuttle and dumped its water at the bottom of the driveway, and were re-filled by BH E-197. Pleasantville TL-5 and Ossining E-98 were relocated to BH Fire Headquarters for backfill. All Units were clear of the scene by 11:00 am

x635 likes this

did you leave anyone out ya buff, what did ya take inventory while fighting the blaze LOL =P~

x635 likes this

Anyone know who had the portable pump in the stream just north of the barn. Was that a killer trash pump OR a real portable fire pump. If so what are the spec's on it.

x635 likes this

I believe that pump was off of e 108 from bedford village (Their source pumper) One of their ex chiefs said it was capeable of pumping something like 500 gpm. Thats impressive for a portable pump.

x635 likes this

1st part of the photos are now posted, www.emtbravo.com

....more to be posted when they are recieved

Photo thanks to Cutty630.

Any word on who the property owner was? (Email me if you don't want to post it, I work in the area and am curious). Also, was there anything in the barn? Looking at the doors and knowing the area, I hope it wasn't used as a garage for classic cars. It's break my heart.

x635 likes this

Horses were in the barn, 4 of which perished, and 36 of which were saved.

x635 likes this

I have a serious question...How does one save a horse during a search and Rescue Operation?

x635 likes this

Very carefully I'd imagine. Horses can get very frightened especially when fire is involved. I'd imagine the best first line rescue would be to just opoen up the pens and let them run out. This of course brings safety to question however as there is no doubt the chance of having someone get trampled by a stampeding horse.

x635 likes this

I'm usually in the front of the first engine out the door 90% of the time, but this time my lieutenant was awake and heard the pd dispatch a car. So he beat me to the rig and the front seat. Anyways while we were coming into the property and close to the house it was almost like we were out west. There were crap loads of horses everywhere. There was no driveway lights so all you saw was the strobes and lights flashing on the horses. Besides the fact that they were probablly scared from the fire now there were trucks everywhere with tons of lights. (no sirens ofcourse we were trying to hear the chief on the highband)

As you can see by the pictures the entire barn was fully involved so our main concern was the exposure on the far left hand side. That is where the groomers lived, then there was a good sized house of some some sort. I don't know if anyone lived there or it was someplace for the kids before they rode horses. To the rear but sit attached was an inside riding area which was enormous. The good thing was that when the lightining hit the groomers woke up right away. The sprinklers were activated so that bought a little time. The head Groomer went from stall to stall freeing the horses. I wish I had seen him because even though we (firemen) hate when people run into the fire other then us, I would have proudly shook his hand and told him that he was amazing and did a wounderful job. I know , I know :blahblah: sorry

x635 likes this

BHFD and the rest of da Brothers at the Fire.... GREAT JOB!

x635 likes this

You snooze, you lose Cutty! Just kidding Captain ... I am just lucky that the storm woke me up.

Seriously though, Opening the doors and getting out of the way is the best thing you can do in a Horse Rescue. Horses are very smart and will be well aware of the dangerous situation, so give them a path out and they will bolt. Just stay out of their way, because they are very strong, and get very defensive when frightened. (Thanks to Maple Grove Farms for the info)

x635 likes this