Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chinese man buys MiG-21 on eBay !

17 posts in this topic

post-839-1146539158.jpg

what the... :blink::P come to think of it...B)B)

Chinese man buys MiG-21 through eBay

BBC News

A Chinese businessman has bought an old MiG-21f fighter jet for nearly $25,000 on eBay to decorate his office, a Chinese newspaper reports.

Zhang Cheng bought the Soviet-made jet from a seller in the United States, where it is said to be in excellent condition though last flown in 1995.

"I have the buying power and my company has an empty space where I can display the plane," he told the Beijing News.

But it was not immediately clear if Mr Zhang needed a permit to import it.

According to the new owner, the jet was retired by the Czech air force.

"I don't know if this jet plane is a banned item," Mr Zhang said, adding that one Chinese company had bought a retired Soviet aircraft carrier to convert into a theme park.

A note on the eBay site said the plane, which is currently located in Lewiston, Idaho, had been inspected by a museum and found to be in excellent condition.

The first MiG-21 prototype flew in 1956 and came into service with the Soviet air force in 1959, becoming one of the most mass-produced combat aircraft since World War II.

The name of the seller was not given.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia...fic/4962466.stm

Published: 2006/05/01 15:32:26 GMT

that is sweet What a conversation starter. I want one

You really can't make this s*** up! Just imagine giving the new employee the grand tour... "And over here is where I keep my souvineer russian fighter jet..."

45 Medic 5 responding....20 second ETA.

Though the patient would need a heck of a driveway.

Or just use it on 684.

This doesn't seem that strange to me at all. I recently saw two retired Lockheed F104 Starfighters that are now privately owned flying at an airshow in Central Florida.

www.starfighters.net

"The Starfighters Team operates two F-104 Starfighters and has a third awaiting restoration in the hangar. The two operational aircraft were originally in service with the Royal Canadian Air Force. They both later served with the Royal Norwegian Air Force before being imported into the US in private hands"

that will start some conversation, how did some one in the U.S even get their hands on that in the first place.

45 Medic 5 responding....20 second ETA.

No No No. 45 Air 1. :rolleyes:

This doesn't seem that strange to me at all. I recently saw two retired Lockheed F104 Starfighters that are now privately owned flying at an airshow in Central Florida.

Anyone who was at the drill today and was paying attention (and isn't deaf) saw a Freedom Fighter take off from the southern runway (the one right next to the drill) at the end. Apparently it is privately owned and kept in a hanger off Tower Drive along with a Mig (not sure what model). I was told by the airport personel that sometimes the guy takes off and goes right to vertical. :blink:

Edited by WAS967

No No No. 45 Air 1. :D

Anyone who was at the drill today and was paying attention (and isn't deaf) saw a Freedom Fighter take off from the southern runway (the one right next to the drill) at the end. Apparently it is privately owned and kept in a hanger off Tower Drive along with a Mig (not sure what model). I was told by the airport personel that sometimes the guy takes off and goes right to vertical. :D

No No you guys got it all wrong its 4032. Its now for the long distant transports, so now instead of 14 hrs to DC and back its more like 30 minutes with 10 minutes to dodge the SAMs prior to landing in DC.

that will start some conversation, how did some one in the U.S even get their hands on that in the first place.

After the Soviet Union collapsed, a lot of military equipment was sold through out the world. China may have been hurting for cash, and sold off some outdated equipment.

Does this mean I can strafe somebody who calls me an ambulance driver?

Man Xzibit definately needs to get ahold of this guy, and pimp his ride.

And we are complaining of gas prices, imagine what this guys spending on gas! :huh:

Well, he pays a lot more than we do. Jet Fuel is actually Kerosene based and just checking the prices now "Jet A" runs between $4.39 and $6.44 a gallon at HPN.

Well, he pays a lot more than we do. Jet Fuel is actually Kerosene based and just checking the prices now "Jet A" runs between $4.39 and $6.44 a gallon at HPN.

Speaking of costs.....

When I saw the Starfighters a few months back I was with a buddy and his dad. The father used to fly F104 Starfighters for the Italian Air Force before moving to Croton over 30 years ago......he got a chance to talk with the team. They said, if everything goes "well" that each time they go up for a 15 or so minute hop at an airshow, it costs about $7,000. "Well" being the operative word. Both the Mig and the F104 were designed in the '50's and like any classic vehicle they demand a serious premium to keep them in usable shape.

Speaking of costs.....

When I saw the Starfighters a few months back I was with a buddy and his dad.  The father used to fly F104 Starfighters for the Italian Air Force before moving to Croton over 30 years ago......he got a chance to talk with the team.  They said, if everything goes "well" that each time they go up for a 15 or so minute hop at an airshow, it costs about $7,000.  "Well" being the operative word.  Both the Mig and the F104 were designed in the '50's and like any classic vehicle they demand a serious premium to keep them in usable shape.

I've seen a couple of plane crashes. I'm sure one of them as a kid was a F104 at an air show in the UK. Think that cost more than a few thousand that day :blink:

Of course, in the best tradition the show went on.