Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danb

West Point Summer FF STEP Program

7 posts in this topic

Hey

I applyed, and was called earlyer today and was formally offered the job for the Firefighter position at West Point with the STEP Program through CPAC. Ive searched high and low on the internet for it but can't find any information really about it

I was told they mostly will be using us at brush fires, then i was told if your FF1/EMT they let you ride with them to all calls, then i also herd that you just do station watch

Anyone on these boards ever do it before andi s able to provide some insight?

I almost did it many years ago, but hurt my back during rope training at Camp Smith with my vollie dept.

Lucky me - that was the summer of the "Great Drip Torch Tour" where they had that HUGE brush fire.

Still have the tee shirt. Thanks Curt!

In 1982 when I got out of the air force I worked there doing the summer program, it can lead into a fulltime position depending if there are openings, its not a bad thing to have on the resume also.in the long run i would go for it. It was interesting to work there. At this present time a friend of mine is working there so if you have any questions pm me.

Last year they had like 10-13 people...and you work 4 10hr days at one of the 3 stations....set schedule...and you help with maintenence of equipment and such....years ago you would ride the truck....last yr i kno they didnt...you also helped with brush fires.....if u dont have your FF1 or 2 they will set you up to get it and HM-AW\OPS....last year they kept 3 people on as temps but they went from 40hrs to 72hrs and riding of course....i was a summer temp 91-94 and got permenant after summer of 94 and been a Fed FF since....working 3 days a week for $75K+ isnt bad.

how can you apply for this spot? Can people still apply? any info or number......

I worked there for a summer and a few months into the fall, they hire temps to work the summers so the full timers can go on vacation and still have the base covered. Its not too bad of a job, If you are looking for action it's not the place for you, I think during the summer and some of the fall, I might have went on 20 calls maybe 30 and thats on the high side. THey make you do a quick training program with them, burn building, hoses etc. You can also get stationed at camp buckner which is where the cadets do their summer training, you'll live in a tiny building with pretty much nothing to do, except get bit by mosquitos and get woken up when the cadets march by at ungodly hours of the morning.

how can you apply for this spot? Can people still apply? any info or number......

The posistions i was told is now full and they stopped taking applications for this year

thanks to all who applyed with their experences there!