Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dadbo46

Bee-Line's New Hybrid Buses

12 posts in this topic

Westchester County will receive the first of four new hyvrid buses next week. The buses will be assigned to Liberty Lines and will operate out of the Yonkers Central Maintenance Facility but will be used throughout the Bee-Line service area (Fordham to northern Wstchester). They won't be used on routes that serve Manhattan (BxM4C) or Putnam County (#77).

The hybrid bus is new technology to Westchester and have been purchased to asess their usefulness to the Bee-Line. Based upon the performance of the hybrids, a decision will be made to replace the 1995/96 diesels (bus # 401-#480) with hybrids or diesel.

Thats cool!!!!! I am a b/o with MaBSTOA out of KB all we have are diesel, about 250 in the depot alone it would be nice in the Hights but who knows when you are dealing with the MTA!!!!!!!!!! lol

Dadbo46,

Any further information on these new hybrids such as the type of hybrid, diesel-electric, diesel-cng,etc? Just wondering if there is anything special for first responders county-wide. Only 4 buses, but from the sound of it, they could be anywhere in the county.

They are diesel-electric. Decals will abound the the bus stating same and indicating high voltage areas. As with all buses that we have purchased since 1990, they will include an emergency "RLS" valve for use by first responders to shut off fuel to the diesel engine. They will also include a "lock-out" of battery power when conditions warrant.

The buses are also "low-floor." That means that there are no steps to traverse when entering the bus. The passenger compartment floor will be at curbs height (Can't wait to see what happens when we hit a pot-hiole or two). But, there will be 3 steps up if you want to sit in the rear of the bus beyond the rear door.

I expect that we will do our first demo on how the bus effects first responder's operations at the Career Chief's Academy this summer.

Edited by dadbo46

This may be a little off but it kinda connects......

I hered that they are still trying to figure out if someone crashes a Hybrid car and causes an Extracation and a Firefighter tries to use a metal saw or some sort of hydrolic tool they might get some sort of shock. May be true may not be. I just wanted to share that with everyone.

-Chris

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Can't wait to see these on the road.

Since these buses are in every Westchester community everyday, I do hope that Liberty Lines holds an open house for us all to come to and check out the new buses. Also hope they distribute literature to all agencies.

Hopefully they will come with bike racks in the front like in LA.....

The first hybrid was delivered yesterday....#201. Three more (#202-#204) will be delivered over the next few weeks. These are in addition to the 104 diesels which are being delivered also (#601-#704). They will replace all of the 1990 Flxible buses (very similar to the fleet that NYCTA had in the 80's....the most famous of which caught on fire on 5th Avenue and was totally destroyed) which are very, very tired.

As soon as the shop is familiar with the hybrids, we will set up some classes with the FD's to show them the safety features onboard the bus.

I had the Seen these for The First time in the City by Central Parks a Couple weeks ago, Pretty Sweet Looking Piece of Equipment, and So Quiet

With the low ground clearance, are these buses still able to approach hills easily and also operate in the snow?

Whats next a hybrid fire engine?

I had the privledge of attending Bee Line's Commisioning ceremony for the new hybrid buses this morning. I also had the honor of being on the first public "maiden voyage" the fleet, on bus #201.

These buses are AWESOME! The technology is fascinating, and the ride is very smooth and quiet. And most importantly on a day like today, the AC is COLD!

Photos & Information From This Morning Are Now Posted On www.EMTBravo.com

Special thanks to dadbo46!!

Buses are in service in the southern part of the county. Had to check some overpasses today in Bronxville (Pondfield Rd.) and Mt. Vernon (N. Columbus Ave.) to make sure the buses fit. They do.

So far, so good. No problems.