Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF402

Driving In Turnout Gear?

23 posts in this topic

I'm curious how many departments require their apparatus drivers to wear turnout gear when responding, more specifically bunker pants and boots?

I personally feel that in some situations, this isn't ideal, and the driver should get dressed when he arrives at the scene. Wearing bulky turnout gear makes me feel cumbersome, and I can't be as agile while driving as when in uniform.

Any thoughts?

We in Katonah are required to wear them while driving.

I personally do not like wearing them, we have had at least 2 incidence's where the drivers had there rubber boots wedge in between the peddles, It was not me that this happened to but I was told about them.

I still feel it should be up to the driver after all if he does not feel safe driving that way he is the responsible person for driving not the rule maker.

What I meen by that is:

Yes the District and or Chief can make the rules but My name or whom ever is driving will be the (Driver ) listed and named in the accident report. Not the people that made up the rule, in Katonah the driver is supposed to stay with the Vehicle he drove and not leave .I know some Dept. have to drive and leave so I can understand that rule better for them but , to me the rule should be a guide and up to each person.

I do not like to wear my bunkers while driving a rig, let alone my own car. I rather throw the gear into a compartment and after I get everything set up, then throw my pants on. Some departments in my area, very few, make the driver wear everything!! I don't think that a coat and a helmet should be worn while driving because it hinders the driver's movent when steering and wearing a helmet can cause problems when trying to look around through the windows of a truck.

Our department allows drivers to operated in "street clothes."

My dept does not require you to drive in your turnout but it must be on the apparatus.. If you do get to the scene of a working fire, that is when the driver must put it on..

My department the engine driver must atleast have his/her gear on the rig and get dressed at the scene but it is up to the driver some want to get dressed before they leave the house like if it's raining or really cold out. Anyone riding the rig other then the driver be in full turnout gear and packed up. As for me personally I don't mind driving in my bunker pants. If it's really cold or I know it's going to rain I'll bring my gear in the garage or basement get dressed and then get in the truck. Who want's to try to get dressed in pouring rain? We've all done it and it's not fun.How about putting your socked foot in 3 inches of snow!! Fun right.

Well guess I went on a little ramble... :lol:

I'm curious how many departments require their apparatus drivers to wear turnout gear when responding, more specifically bunker pants and boots?

I personally feel that in some situations, this isn't ideal, and the driver should get dressed when he arrives at the scene. Wearing bulky turnout gear makes me feel cumbersome, and I can't be as agile while driving as when in uniform.

Any thoughts?

I prefer not to drive with bunker pants on. I usually wear my coat however. It is optional for drivers in my department.

Our Rules are the following:

You may drive with gear on, only if you have the leather style boots.

YOU CAN NOT Drive with rubber boots. The movements are too restrictive and can be a safety hazard.

We used to have a rule that you didn't wear your boots while driving. I believe that has changed. With new Apparatus the distance between the gas and brake are getting closer and closer. Even with work boots, there have been times that my foot was on both peddles. I personally feel that bunker and boots should NOT be worn.

In my Co. we're lucky to get anyone in the "crew" suited up prior to or responding on the rig. They only suit up if they see that there might be "work".

Personally, I wear the pants and boots when I drive.

In my Co. we're lucky to get anyone in the "crew" suited up prior to or responding on the rig. They only suit up if they see that there might be "work".

Personally, I wear the pants and boots when I drive.

I've driven and always did with my gear on and had no problem doing so. We know seconds count. So to wait for a guy to get dressed is crazy. What might someone think when you get to their house thats on fire and they see you getting dressed.

You have your gear on, you arrive, your ready to work! No delay in time. Imaging getting to a call where someone needs help and you have to get dressed.

The Chief dosent really like when we drive in Turnout gear. He does allow us to wear just our bunkerpants if we have the leatherboots not the rubber boots. But I think it is bulky either way. I usually throw my gear in a compartment that way I have it if i need it.

I myself do not wear my coat or helmet. I prefer to drive w/o my bunker pants. I find I can handle the rigs better then if I had gear on. I'll always make sure I have my gear on the rig, three times in 24yrs I have driven and ended up on the attack line, and yes I had to get dressed at the scene.

I look at todays rigs compared to "yesterdays rigs, I think it was much easier 15-20 years ago to drive with gear as I think the drivers area had more room. The old macks and sutphen I drove had bench seats and you had a lot of flexibilitie, more wiggle room. Today with the motor right next to you, you do not have the arm room and with a coat on it makes it harder to steer, my opinion.

I also found it harder to drive standard shift tranny's while in bunker gear, I see guys today driving standards trying to raise thier left foot to meet the clutch with a great deal of strain.

Today, at fire schools we push so much on the newbies about wearing gear, wearing it properly that in some cases we have taken it to the extreme. I recenlty saw a firefighter in full gear with helmet and gloves on driving and had a headset on also.

Saying all of that, we should always remember the following :

Drive at a safe speed

Obey all your state motor vehicle laws

Have at a minimum 10 hours of driver training

Have the proper license

Know your equipment, know how it runs, braking distances and understand how it runs.

Use your common sence

And remember this, when I first started driving, my old assistant chief who was my passenger for almost every night call told me once.... "if it is burning when you get the call kid, it will be burning when you get there".

The Chief dosent really like when we drive in Turnout gear. He does allow us to wear just our bunkerpants if we have the leatherboots not the rubber boots. But I think it is bulky either way. I usually throw my gear in a compartment that way I have it if i need it.

Most of the time if you're driving an engine, won't you be outside pumping the rig/standing by, not inside investigating the cause of the alarm? Therefore why would you need to have on bunker pants, coat, helmet, etc.?? Unless the weather is inclement or you are going to leave the rig unattended for some reason (but be in the immediate vicinity) the driver/operator should be close to the rig at all times, especially if there are guys on a line inside a building. If you are a later arriving rig (i.e.second alarm company) then I can see getting dressed early, but for the most part aren't your drivers standing by outside?

Most of the time if you're driving an engine, won't you be outside pumping the rig/standing by, not inside investigating the cause of the alarm?  Therefore why would you need to have on bunker pants, coat, helmet, etc.??  Unless the weather is inclement or you are going to leave the rig unattended for some reason (but be in the immediate vicinity) the driver/operator should be close to the rig at all times, especially if there are guys on a line inside a building.  If you are a later arriving rig (i.e.second alarm company) then I can see getting dressed early, but for the most part aren't your drivers standing by outside?

J -What if you are at an accident and the stored propane tanks in the car's trunk blows up? The ensuing fireball could level the entire neighborhood and the MPO. Full gear and SCBA (with gloves) a must. :D

NFPA/OSHA requires all FF's on a rig to be dressed in full turnout gear when responding to an alarm. That includes bunker pants, turnout coat, boots & helmet. Gloves, while driving, are optional. Our Departmental SOP's (6.1) specify that full tornout gear will be worn at all times. Drivers are NOT exempt

With your full PPE on, when you arrive at a scene, you're ready to go. No hesitation. In this department, with manpower shortages a distinct possibility, switching the driver/MPO of the vehicle with another MPO at the scene is always a possibility - if the gear's not on, time's wasted.

Learn to drive with your PPE on - that includes a helmet. Recently, I nearly lost a

n...t because a 2 1/2 " cap fitting was improperly cross-threaded on a discharge where the valve had been opened and the engine was in pump. I noticed the leaking cap, tried to tighten it down and it, and it slipped off the fitting with 110psi behind it.

Had I not had my bunker pants on to cushion (at least somewhat) the blow, it could have been worse. More importantly, my helmet was on my head, and I was wearing my turnout coat. Had that swivel connection been pointed at my head.......you can bet I'm going to continue to respond in full PPE

Practice driving with your gear on. Be ready to go

In Dobbs Ferry they only need to drive in bunkers and boots. Alot of people find it easier to drive in no jackets because it's easier to turn and manover the rig.

In my Dept. (not Westchester) the Driver can wear it if he wants 99% of the time they don't...the tillerman wears bunker pants if possible. We are one of those companies who get out the door in minutes with many members living close to the Firehouse. Other members grab the gear and put it on before the drivers get into position or just take it with them in the crew cab. Our Firehouse is on a long residential street and we have designated "pick up points" on the North and South ends of the block that the members can get on the truck when it stops at those intersections. Most of the Chauff.s/tillermen keep gear on the truck. Others have it on the racks on the walls. Now I'm not saying this system is the best but it works for us and we have been doing it for decades. One other thing about gearing up on scene...it's not such a bad thing as it can give you a moment to catch your thoughts and SLOW down. Take a survey of the scene and get a grasp of what has to be done. It only takes a minute or so to put on gear. In my 22 years I have never been at a person trapped call wear the truck pulls up and the firemen run right into the house non stop one motion. If a person is in a window you have to throw ladders, safely....looking for wires or whatever, if they are inside you have to find out where if possible from other family members or neighbors, think about your moves. If in the Engine you have to stretch a line maybe the first thing you do is get the line to the fire before going for the rescue...in short, weather you have gear on or not you still need to slow down and think before you go head long into the S&*T

In my Dept. it is the driver's choice. I put my gear in the first compartment, and drive with out it. If I need it when I get there, then I put it on.

Its not too often when a driver actually needs to have their gear on.

In my 22 years I have never been at a person trapped call wear the truck pulls up and the firemen run right into the house non stop one motion.  If a person is in a window you have to throw ladders, safely....looking for wires or whatever,  if they are inside you have to find out where if possible from other family members or neighbors, think about your moves.  If in the Engine you have to stretch a line maybe the first thing you do is get the line to the fire before going for the rescue...in short, weather you have gear on or not you still need to slow down and think before you go head long into the S&*T

Excellent point

In my 22 years I have never been at a person trapped call wear the truck pulls up and the firemen run right into the house non stop one motion.  If a person is in a window you have to throw ladders, safely....looking for wires or whatever,  if they are inside you have to find out where if possible from other family members or neighbors, think about your moves.  If in the Engine you have to stretch a line maybe the first thing you do is get the line to the fire before going for the rescue...in short, weather you have gear on or not you still need to slow down and think before you go head long into the S&*T

Nice point..... but what does it have to do with wearing gear as a driver?

Nice point..... but what does it have to do with wearing gear as a driver?

Got a little off track but it refers to the other post in this thread about gearing up at the scene of an alarm........

Somebody above me stated its NFPA/OSHA rules to be geared up while driving/riding. Can you cite the specific NFPA Standard? Now, while working, heck yea.

I highly doubt you have all the info. I work for a NFPA savvy department, and have never heard this. In fact, knowing what little I know about the NFPA I doubt they would mandate something that would hinder you. In, addition if this is the case, how do you reconcile the wearing of NFPA recommended headsets. Aint no helmet worn with those. As for putting on your gloves on the way to a call, nope. That is just plain silly.

I would really check your source of info. Might be one of those myths that are out there...