x635

Seatbelt usage by Fire and EMS personel

Do you wear your seatbelt?   0 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear your seatbelt?

• Yes, When I can
    • Yes, I wear it always
    • Rarely/When Told To Do So
    • Never

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 posts in this topic

Honestly, how many of us wear seatbelts while responding to calls on the apparatus?

Fire-wise, I did, but I admit at times sometimes it is off to adjust my gear with it on, and unfortunetly it comes off. Heck, alot of the time it was off.

As far as at work in an ambulance, when responding, or driving anywhere I always do. When involved in patient care in the box, rarerly. It's impossible sometimes to do what you need to do with it on. I try to put it on though whenever possible in the box

Who responsibilty is it to ensure that seatbelts are worn? The officers? The drivers? Will it take a real tradgedy to ensure compliance? Is there a better restraint system out there? Is the Phoenix system of donning SCBA's after arriving so that members keep their belts on a good idea?

I always wear mine, engine or flycar. Only time it should be taken off is when you may have to get dressed in the engine and when your done it should go back on. Unless you have the SCBA harnesses that have the buckles on them.

I had a Paramedic friend who never wore his. Let's remember that we are also supposed to lead by example. He was a utmost pro EMS profession person and said "I never wear it." After I pointed out how disappointed I was being the type of provider he was he always wear's it now and low and behold he was T boned a couple months ago.

I would personally love to see a better restraint system for the rear of ambulances. I believe a majority of fatalities involving ambulance crashes, occur in he patient care compartment. I've had a couple of close calls in the past, and unfortunatly when you are dealing with a serious patient by yourself (sorry people, we all can't have 2-3 people in the back like in the vollies). you need the ability to move around and get done what needs to be done. And seatbelts in the rear just prevent that from happeneing. If I'm doing a routine transport and I can staick to one spot, then generally I try to put them on. As a driver I like to make sure that everyone is buckeled up, especially when there are family members on board. Bus doesn't move until they are secured and buckeld in. I've even told my partners to buckle up because I prefer to see them in one piece.

Another thing that many people don't think about is securing equipment. How many times have you gotten into a rig and found an oxygen cylinder l unsecured on the stretcher or floor? Ever consider what kind of force a heavy O2 cylinder delivers when it goes from X miles an hour to impact? (I'll spare everyone the nauseating physics lecture). I get into a flycar every week and always find the gear unsecured with no protection between myself and the gear. (I'd love if they install cages but thats a different story). People are very quick to turn around and blame the management for not putting in expensive cabinets. Well, I got news people. I can secure evry last ounce of gear in that truck, without a cage, so that it ain't going anywhere? hy don't others? Who knows. Probably too lazy. But I don't want to hear anyone crying when they get decapitated by a flying lifepak during a front end collision.

All good points here.......however we all know a seatbelt policy is just that....a policy on paper and rarely observed or enforced.

If it were a perfect world, then common sense would tell us to always wear a seatbelt. I always wear mine on the way to the EMS call and when we clear the hospital, but rarely wear it when I am treating the patient. There are times, like this, when its just impossible to wear seatbelts. Furthermore, if the patient is unstable and crashes, it really is impossible to wear a seatbelt while performing CPR. Even if the patient is stable, I never wear it because I'm always up getting supplies, stethoscope/BP cuff, etc. It's one of those things where you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, sad to say.

If it wasn't for seatbelts, I would of had a line of duty death or two then Tanker 10 rolled. THANK GOD!

Muns-

Anything new to report on the tanker? I'm sure everyone is interested.

A positive message to wear seat belts while in apparatus.

:D The message is not intended to criticize any FD or its members

http://www.worldfiredepartments.com/hotsho...ot/rollover.htm

Flash Presentation on www.worldfiredepartments.com

A lesson Learned

Remember585 said:

If it wasn't for seatbelts, I would of had a line of duty death or two then Tanker 10 rolled. THANK GOD!

This topic has been dead for a while, but I had an experience the other day and I had to point it out. I was working overtime in another group and firehouse, and we got in the engine to go do some routine company business, and as always, I put my seatbelt on. The driver AND officer both turned around as they heard the belt click in. The officer asked if I did not "trust" the driver, and the driver actually TOOK OFFENSE to the fact that I strapped myself in! I responded that I always wear it, especially in a fire engine. For the rest of the shift, whenever we went out for a call, they ridiculed me for wearing the seatbelt! I was appalled! Has anyone else had any recent experiences like this?

Mstrang...great point and I've had the same things said to me. Fact is I've told some drivers I don't trust them and I don't trust everyone else on the road even less.

I think I agree with just about everyone hear, I wear my seatbelt whether driving the apparatus, ambulance, or fly car. But when I am treating a patient in the back of an ambulance I dont think I have ever worn one. Maybe we could all put our heads together and come up with a solution to that, where patient care isnt put at risk and we are better protecting ourselves.

As far as the gear being secured down, I think WAS brought this up, the State mandates that everything is suppose to be secured down, but the question that always comes up is well if we are treating the patient something may not be secured down. When not on a call it should always be tied down.

I ALWAYS wear a seatbelt. POV, Chief Vehicle, Engine, Ladder, Rescue, Ambulance- whatever! It takes 2 seconds and could be the difference between going home at the end of the tour or ending up 6 feet under. I perfer going home!

As far as using the SCBA as a seatbelt is s NO-NO. The securing straps of an SCBA are not rated to be used a passenger seatbelt!

As a matter of fact, the new NFPA requirements for the SCBA seat mount requires that the SCBA "fall out" is the harness is not secured. This prevents a rider from using the SCBA as a seat belt and also requires the pack to be strapped in.

USE THOSE SEAT BELTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because of firefighters doning scba's when they should be belted in when responded to alarms, Chief Alan Brunacini of the Phoenix Fire Department ordered all scba's removed from cabs of the apparatus.

For safety reasons, Nobody should get dressed or put a scba on while enroute to a call. you should put your gear on before you get in.

Or if you are already in the rig when a call comes in. you should wait until you get to the location. It should only take 30 seconds or less to suit up with full gear and scba.

Stay Safe.

Shouldn't it just be an SOG to put your gear on before getting in the engine. :-k

Shouldn't it just be an SOG to put your gear on before getting in the engine. :-k

Turnouts yes, scba no.

over here in sydney australia all our new engines have the caba's incorparated into the seat belt system so you can don your caba and wear the set belt,and you should be fully booted and spurred before you jump on the rig with only your helmet to be put on when you arrive at the incident.

showing my age calling them caba's(compressed air breathing apparatus)yes we call them scba over here now also.

Just remember when it hits the fan, NFPA 1500 states "Drivers shall not move fire department vehicles until all persons on the vehicle are seated and secured with seat belts in approved riding positions...". This just means that the driver of the vehicle will be held personally liable for the safety of the crew onboard. This is also stressed in the EVOC course.

I always ask "is everyone strapped in?" before moving the vehicle. If the FFs and CAPTAIN lie to me and/or ignore me, I believe the liability is out of my hands. I am not sure, but if someone can clarify this for me, that would be great.

i see no difference in seatbelts use people dont wear them in regular car and some people dont wear them in emergency vechials

i does not effect me but it is a lucky draw you are taking out of your life if i crash do i flip around and get hurt or maybe die or do i wear and hope that i live that is everyone different oppion. In fire truck people get dressed and it is hard to wear one and get dressed at the same time. and when u are getting dressed u are mostly like there before u are done in small areas

i dont care if people wear one or not but that is only my opion to this topic It is only a risk factor that is all :roll: [-(

Only a risk factor?

A risk factor that is the 2nd leading cause of death of firefighters every year.

Are there times you have to get dressed when in the apparatus. Sure. But you are suppose to get dressed prior to boarding the apparatus. If you take it off it should go right back on and again with the SCBA brackets for SCOTT's you ahve the strap that acts as a seatbelt when you don your SCBA in the seated position. It should take you no more then 90 seconds to don you full PPE including SCBA.

From my own observations the majority of persons where seat belts in cars today then 10 or 20 years ago when the law was enacted. Fact is this, we can't really control the general public. That is law enforcements job and responsibility. But those of us that are leaders can and it is not being done enough. I ask every Ff 1, 2 and EVOC class I teach who's department has a seat belt use SOG and non-emergency or "on the quiet" response SOG. I cannot remember one saying it was in writing, just "told." Also note I didn't say "10-20" because that means d!ck in Westchester unless you write a policy on what that is going to mean.

ALS-many firefighters believe that the scba strap can be used to replace a seatbelt, but in fact, it is NOT an approved safety device. I, for one, will put my shoulder straps from my scba over my shoulder, seat belt in, and upon arrival, undo my seatbelt and tighten shoulder and attach waist straps. It takes no additional time to don, and keeps me seatbelted in.

Very true, however, I will take that over nothing at all. I agree with you your shoulder belt should be used, but I have been in apparatus where the shoulder belt barely fits when I have all my gear on.

Just to add on to my last post....Risk Factors are things which you know the risk but make a calculated decision of whether to take that risk. The first basis of every emergency incident...risk vs. benefit.

Wearing a seat belt isn't a risk factor. The benefit always outweights the risk. Read every LODD report that involves a apparatus collision. First recommendation.....policy dealing with the use of restraing devices.

Part of the updated NFPA Apparatus specification reccomendations include stuff on seatbelts.

First, all seatbelts must be of the three point style. The straps must be red, to differentiate the seatbelt straps from the SBBA and PPE straps and make it easier for the OIC to identify who is wearing one. Also, seatbelts must be longer to fit around PPE and SCBA.

If the seatbelt does not fit around you, ask your cheif to purchase seatbelt extenders, which are available usually from the OEM.

If you don't think seatbelts are neccesary, then you haven't been to many MVA's.

Many people use the poor excuse they are unable to use the seat belt when responding,,,Does that mean they put the belt on when returning ?