Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ladder Shock,Air Conditioner Injure California FFs

7 posts in this topic

Sounds like this department got a double whammy. Just a reminder to always look out for unstable air conditioners when at a scene or a walkthrough....and take them out if they are. Also, always check the ladder overhead before you get on it, although sometimes an electrified ladder is invisible.

'Ladder Shock', Air Conditioner Injure California Firefighters

Updated: 05-18-2006 12:03:20 PM

ROSALIO AHUMADA

Modesto Bee

Two firefighters were injured and two families were displaced Tuesday evening when a blaze gutted the second floor of a south Modesto home, fire officials said.

Fire engineer Jose Aceves was taken to Memorial Medical Center, where he was listed in stable condition Tuesday night, Modesto Fire Department Battalion Chief Dan Hinshaw said.

Aceves was injured about 30 minutes into fighting the fire when he came in contact with a ladder that gave him a shock. Hinshaw said officials did not know if it was an electrical shock, heat from the fire, or both.

"We're still not sure how that ladder became energized," Hinshaw said.

Earlier, about five minutes into the battle, firefighter Ed Sears was injured when a window air conditioner fell from the second floor and hit his head, Hinshaw said. Sears was conscious and in stable condition when he was taken by ambulance to Memorial Medical Center, Hinshaw said.

He said Sears was treated and was expected to be released from the hospital Tuesday night.

Sears was fighting the fire from outside the home on the ground floor when the air conditioner fell.

No other injuries were reported, and both families were not home when the fire started.

You just never know. Its amazing what can happen to FD, PD, & EMS on even what appear to be routine calls.

There has to be a better way to alert people to air conditioners in windows. Something that grabs your attention from the lower ground floor or maybe a sign needs to be invented. From all the training ive taken A/C units are mentioned but I dont believe anywhere near enough. Just seems with everything going on in an emergency scene an A/c unit is the last on your mind. Maybe the fire service as a whole should push to increase awarness to hazards like these...

While I am all for idiot proofing this job, we've gotta be able to do something as simple as looking for obvious hazards. If we are able to identify construction type from down the block in 5 seconds, then we should definately be able to ID obvious hazards like window A\Cs.

I thought that identifing hazards on the fireground was the responsibility of the Safety Officer. And we all have qualified Safety Officers on the scene of every emergency incident don't we? It is also the responsibility of the FAST team to remove dangerous conditions before they cause injuries or entrapment.

Ultimately, its everyone's responsibility to identify these hazards and notify the I.C. I know its difficult to take in the entire fire scene when you are operating on the fire ground, but it is necessary to achieve the most important thing- everyone going home after the incident.

I was thinking like how there was a stand down day for highway safety maybe some program could come and discuss miscalenous hazards.. just a thought.

NY and VV great points.

I know that many instructors discuss the hazards of window and roof mounted air conditioners and the appropriate way to mitigate those hazards.

A better way to alert people that there are air conditioners? We are still trying to get a comprehensive plan to get signs on every building with lightweight construction. How many signs can we put on the front of a building, also what about residential construction? Many occupants take out the window mounts during the winter months, what about the "sign" idea then. In areas where there are large numbers of fire escapes its not uncommon to even see them stored on the landings.

The fact is we are each responsible for our own safety. If you do a personal size up, you should notice that the air conditioner(s) are there and make a note of it and report to it the appropriate person in you command chain. If they are on the fire floor they need to be removed ASAP to ensure another means of egress for those operating inside. Just remember the get pushed in not pulled out. Also being aware of where you are operating around the building is also critical.