Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Westchester County Centralized Fire/EMS 911 System

40 posts in this topic

RWC130 is correct. The Police don't need the added work at the dispatch console. Other calls for service and radio traffic are coming in all the time. Not to mention the people off the street needing their own "special attention" It would be doing everyone a service if the PD dispatcher could hand that fire/ems call off like a hot potato to someone that have the resources to dispatch both. There are some PD agencies that have to actually change over the radio at the console to dispatch a fire call, Then monitor the other channel on a Bearcat scanner. Good luck to them!!!

648eng119, will you stop trying to get everyone to switch to 60 control!!!!!!! Are you looking for more work?

It seems funny, how many of you complain if anyone mentions VOLs and the problems with them, but you have no problem bashing the problems with cops or dispatchers, etc. First, **** Career firefighters are all EMTS...that beats EMD anytime, and they HAVE talked people through lifesaving situations! As for the PD dispatch, though I agree...would you dare have the ^(*& to say that if a bunch of cops were on here? just like you get so pee'd and defensive if something is brought up about the problems with the Volunteers. Either you open your mind and eyes and see the problems with ALL ..PD, Career, Vol's , Dispatch etc. or keep them to yourself. This shouldn't be a place where you can hide behind the screen and Bi*&^ but if it comes around to you, you don't want it said!

Proper EMD is more than just pre-arrival instructions, it's also, when used properly, a priority dispatch system desinged to properly assign resources. As for EMT's talking people through situations over the phone without being EMD certified, that's great, but do they have other people to handle the phones and radios while they are focused on this, and do they have set guidelines and training to protect them in this lawsuit-happy society we live in now?

BTif this topics gets out of hand with people attacking each other, any agency, etc, this topic will be closed.

First off Pyro - All career firefighters in Mohegan are NOT EMT's. That is fact one. 2nd - There is no way to talk someone through a serious medical call, dispatch proper units, and answer the phones and radios when you are the only guy at the desk. If you want to use Mohegan as an example we will. Mohegan would be a much better place if the FD was not chasing the ambulance down the road - instead of letting the ambulance handle the call and waiting for the next run that may not have a crew in quarters. "1st response" should not get there after the primary service - it is no longer 1st response, it is then a numbers game. Not the career guys fault. You see, proper response and responsibilty falls into the hands of the people that are in charge - who don't always care what is best for the service of the public when all they are interested in is justifying rising taxes!

Let me just add that first, I have the b@lls, and still tell our PD they don't do things right. Its trying to get change is the problem.

Second, pyro, whether or not every career firefighter is an EMT (they only offer CFR in the academy) is irregardless and it isn't better then having EMD. It is better to have both, like the system in Seattle. Pre-arrival buys time to get the resources there. Clarify a bit on "they've talked people through life threatening situations." Being an EMT, doesn't mean you can give EMD, and if you do without being certified our having defined policies for the delivery and type of EMD there are documentated cases of lawsuits for people doing that. I have a officer who is a RN and ex medic where I work and I flipped when I found he was telling chest pain patients to take a aspirin prior to arrival, all the meanwhile never transferring the call to 60. So no, being an EMT isn't better then being able to deliver EMD and pre arrival instructions. They are 2 completely different functions which should increase probablity of resuscitation and/or survival.

Thank you brother - finally someone with common sense!!

EMD dispatchers might actually be better off not having any medical training. That way they stick to the cards and as mentioned, are not tempted to stray from the prewritten instructions meant to cover everyone's butts.