Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Quints First Due?

16 posts in this topic

Any departments roll thier quint first due? What kind of water are you carrying on the quint and what GPM do you have. Just doing some research. Thank you.

Yes in millwood we roll Engine-245 (formaly TS2) it is an 1982 E-ONE, Kenworth 50'ladder 1500GPM pump/500 Gal. booster tank. now it rolls first due from

station 1 on everything but car accidents and brush fires.

Edited by Martinez

We don't anymore, but for a few years in the early 90s we rolled our 75' rearmount first due out of our Mt. Ivy station (north side of our district). The truck has a 1500GPM two stage Waterous pump with a 340 gallon tank. It has three 2" crosslays and at the time carried 500' or so of 5" (since replaced with 3"). In 1994 we purchased a new pumper for that station and the 75' was changed to second due. It is currently second due out of our main station in the south end of the district, having been replaced up north by the 95' midmount tower.

Edited by res6cue

Our quint rolls 2nd due from Sta 1...there is no point in having a truck with minimal water be first due apparatus to a fire

i know greenville runs their quint first due, i'm sure someone here will elaborate on the perticulars. it seems to work well for them. it's a 75 foot single axle truck with a 1500gpm i belive. and a 300 gal tank.

North white also runs their quint first due, also a 75 foot single axle truck, with a 1500gpm pump. the NWP seagrave is one of the sharpest, and nicely setup and shortest wheelbase quint i've seen in this area.

Edited by Truckie 1075

we use our 2001 e-one 75' quint as our first due. it has 500 gal. water+ a 1500 gpm pump. it works very well for us.

Ardsley runs there quint first due to many calls. It works out really well for us.

Though my department does nothave a Quint or Quad, a few departments around me do and they run them first due to AFA's and structures only.

i know greenville runs their quint first due, i'm sure someone here will elaborate on the perticulars. it seems to work well for them. it's a 75 foot single axle truck with a 1500gpm i belive. and a 300 gal tank.

L4 is a 2001 75' Pierce quint w/ a 400 gallon tank. 9 times out of 10 L4 will take the front of the buildingwith E150 taking the hydrant. GFD has run a quint a L4 since the early 1990's when TL4 was replaced.

my local department, Morton Grove IL just received their new quint - its a 75' Smeal which arrived a few weeks ago - the guys are going through training and familiarization, and then starting next month it will be frontline - replacing an engine and running as an engine - not a ladder. it was purchased partially with a federal homeland security grant. I intend to get some pictures posted soon.

Andy,

Both Elmsford FD quints have 1st due assignments.

Tower Ladder 21 responds 1st due, with an engine, to commercial structure assignments. It has a 1500 gpm pump and 300 gallon water tank.

Ladder 55 responds 1st due, with an engine, to all other runs. It has a 1750 gpm pump and 500 gallon water tank, in addition to a 30 gallon foam tank.

Ladder 55 also carries our 2nd due Hurst Tool and is our FAST unit.

Both of our engines carry Truck Co. equipment and all members are cross trained in engine and truck company work.

Engine Co. can operate as a truck and the Truck Co. can operate as an engine.

For a small department, with only two companies, we find that this protocol works very well for us.

I hope this helps.

Syd

In West Hartford, CT we have three quints that respond as first due. The departmetn formally have five engine and two ladders, but with the reduction in manpower the department operates with two engines, and three quints. Quint 2 is a 110' rm, 1500/500 gpm aerial; Quint 3 is a 95'/1500/500 rearmount platform; and Quint 4 is a 75'1500/500 rear mount aerial. When the quints go out of service they are replaced with spare engines. Each company operates with a minimum of four men per apparatus, as formerly they operated with three men on single companies and four men with dual companies and two men on the trucks, so in essence you were getting three men per apparatus.

Didn't Yorktown just buy one Quint 51?

http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/departments/f...ions/quint.aspx

This is the website for the Richmond, VA Fire Department. It explains how they swithced to only running quints and how it allows them to have more manpower on calls and also increase their response capabilities. I don't know how well it actually works but its interesting to see the change in numbers for them by running all quints.

Edited by GFD538

The truth of the matter is, in 2006 it is firefighters who put fires out. Richmond is showing up with more equipment and more manpower on the first alarm now, but how many are showing up on the second and thrid alarms?? Does this new set-up reduce the number of multiple alarm fires? Does it reduce the damages caused by fire? For seven or more years now Richmond has been operating with this system in place, yet there is no mention on the site of an specific improvements made in their on the job performance.

Andy:

I know both Richmond and St. Louis ran into some difficulties that took time to work out with their all Quint concept. One problem that one upstate NY department ran into problems with was when they had started getting Quints they only had 1000 GPM pumps and they stopped further production to spec larger pumps for what they wanted to accomplish with them. The other trade off that I've experienced with assisting in the specs of a quint and being close to another was the size of the water tank and hose bed can limit the amount of ground ladders carried and also leads you to having a 3 section 35' extension ladder which I'm not a huge fan of due to additional weight and not quite as easy operation as a 2 section. With much of the limited personnel we end up running with or getting, weight and efficiency are huge issues to tackle.

The biggest thing is having those whom can get a good size up in regard to fire size and growth with 300 gallons of water and not getting overly aggresive without a water source if more then a room and content.