Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Montreal Bronto Fails

10 posts in this topic

2 june 2004 - Montreal Fire Department Bronto Fails

During the evening of may 31st 2004, the Bronto Skilift elevating boom on truck 739 was being tested by the mechanical division of the Montreal Fire Department at their garage. As part of regular preventive maintenance the Montreal Fire Departments inspects and tests these vehicles on a regular basis. During these tests, performed by two members of the mechanical division, the main boom failed. Luckily no one was injured, and the staff immediately called the brass who arrived shortly after. Upon arrival and after consultation with his staff, the Director (Chief) M. Alain Michaud immediately pulled all of Montreal’s 12 Bronto elevating platforms from service as a precautionary measure. Representatives from the company are enroute and the matter is being fully investigated to determine the cause of the failure. Developments will be posted as they become available

Photos here:

http://www.incendie.com/Reportages/200406/...a_Mvc-001s1.jpg

How many of these trucks are in our area?

You were at an incident (where you injured your feminin part) where one was operating.....Rocket

I know that Verplank has one, anyone else?

CFDFASTleader, as far as i am aware, Verplanck TL46 is the only Bronto in Westchester. I do believe that i saw a picture of a Bronto from Rockland, i will try and find it, although i could be mistaken. I do not believe that Verplanck has had any major problems with thiers, other than operator errors. Believe it or not, Verplancks Bronto gets used pretty often, not much in thier own district however lol. I know when Peekskill has a job, VFD TL46 is usually 1 of the first Trucks to go M/A, wheather it be to the scene or to cover the City. I believe that its first fire was the old YWCA building on Main St. in Peekskill like a year or so ago (you guys were there as FAST). I tell ya what, it certainly impressed me, it has a lot of maneuverability, although i don't know a hell of a lot about ladder trucks.

As far as Montreal's bad luck, that definately sucks. The article stated that they are taking thier departments fleet of 12 bronto Sky-lifts OOS. I am just curious as to how many Truck companies they have other than the Bronto's? I am sure that this will put a dent in thier Truck company responses.

BFD1054 you are correct about verplanck having the only one in westchester also i belive the only one in lower new york from what nicholas says we have no major problems with the truck and i find that it is an excellent truck and it did get to work at our fire 2 weeks ago i was in the bucket and it did a great job

the apparatus in question is the city on montreal,the rigs are from the 70's and are not even close to what verplanck runs with. its not a new bronco ski lift that came to mind when you read about the incident.

There are several Bronto's out on Long Island...... South Hampton, and Wading River both on Pierce Chassis.... remember guys, Pierce had that contract until E-One bought that company (Bronto) also, Mineloa has a snorkle on a Pemfab Chassis....... that was built before Pierce had the sole rights to supply chassis and bodywork for these units. There was one in Elizabeth NJ, but that truck was replaced several years ago. I do not know of any other rigs like this in the Hudson River Valley. As for Montreal, they are a large city, I know for a fact they have quite a few E-One Rear Mounted Aerials........ I'm sure they have a large spare pool and will be in ok shape..... I took from the article that there Bronto's will be removed for inspection and most likely they will return to service.

If their trucks are from the '70s its about time to replace them anyway, right?

The Montreal Bronto's were built and delivered around the late 80's early 1990's........ Most of them were on Freightliner Cab Over Chassis, with crew cabs added by the company that contracted to do the bodywork.......... there was also a 135ft. or something wierd like that Bronto built on a huge 4 axel Pacific Chassis. Pacific built logging trucks in Canada for many years and for a short period of time in the early 1990's built custom fire truck chassis for Canadian apparatus mfgs. ; they are now out of business. As for time to replace the fleet....perhaps..... but I wouldn't say those trucks were past their replacement dates........who knows.