Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stench60

Im Memoriam Ex-Chief John Garrison TFD

7 posts in this topic

GARRISON, JOHN H.

June 14, 2006

John H. Garrison, a lifelong resident of Tarrytown, died June 12, 2006 at the age of 70. John was born in Tarrytown February 29, 1936 to Raymond and Florence Galassi Garrison. He graduated from Washington Irving High School and served in the Army Air Force in Korea. John was a deliveryman for Diamond Dairy from 1967 to 2003. John also spent nearly 64 years of his life associated with the Tarrytowns Young Men's Christian Association. He started out as a youth member and progressed through the ranks serving seven General Directors and CEOs. John held many positions during those years - Assistant Youth Director, Day Camp Counselor, Assistant Day Camp Director, Financial and Business Manager. He is most remembered for his work in the Aquatic Program, having taught swimming lessons for more than 50 years. His dedication to the youth of these communities has been the trademark of his life. For the past 16 years, John has volunteered his time as Swimming Instructor. He will be sorely missed by those whose lives he has touched. John was also very active in Volunteer Fire Services. He was a life active member of Washington Engine Co. #2 where he held numerous offices including Captain and Financial Secretary and he served on the Board of Directors for many years. He was also Co-Chairman for Washington Engine's 2005 Tower Ladder Truck Committee. He served as the Chief of the Tarrytown Fire Department in 1991. John was an Honorary Member of Riverside Hose Co. #4, Tarrytown; Associate Member of Briarcliff Hook and Ladder and Associate Member of Ossining Fire Patrol Co. He was a member of Tarrytown Fire Chiefs Association and the Tarrytown Fire Education Center, serving as its Treasurer. He was a member of the Mt. Pleasant Fire Chiefs Association, serving as a Director. He belonged to Westchester County Volunteer Fireman's Association where he was a life member and Director. He served as a Director of the Westchester County Fire Chiefs Association and was a member of the Westchester County Parade Judges Association. John was also a member of the Hudson Valley Volunteer Fireman's Association, the Firemen's Association State of New York and was a life member of the New York State Association of Fire Chiefs. John also belonged to the Tarrytown Seniors. John is survived by his aunts Catherine, Nancy and Lucinda Galassi as well as many Galassi and Garrison cousins. He is also survived by his godsons William H. Logan, II, Bryan Carson and Bruce Carson. Visitation will be at COFFEY FUNERAL HOME on Wednesday (today) from 2 - 4 and 7 - 9 PM. His Funeral Mass will be Thursday at Transfiguration Church at 11:00 with Interment to follow in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Fireman's Home, 125 Harry Howard Ave., Hudson, NY 12534 or Phelps Memorial Hospital, 701 N. Broadway, Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591 would be appreciated. COFFEY FUNERAL HOME 91 N. Broadway Tarrytown (914) 631-0983 www.coffeyfuneralhome.c om

RIP. John was a great person. I had a pleasure working with him at the Tarrytown YMCA for 3 years. He will be missed!

I have known Former Chief John Garrison most of my adult life--- from my youth at the Y.M.C.A. to my years of fire service . There wasent a more respected man in the Tarrytown Fire Department. A gentleman all the time-- always a hello -- always a glad to see you--always a have a nice day. There should be more men like John in the world and in the fire service. truley he wilbe missed by the citizens of Tarrytown and the Tarrytown Fire Department.

Rest in peace John

I have known John for over 40 years 30 of which were in the fire service he was the nicest person you ever met and a true gentleman in every sense of th eword I am proud to call him my friend and i enjoyed going toMt Pleasant Chiefs meetings and Westchester Judges meeting withhim recently when I was a member in Taryytown in the 70's John and I went to many parades and functions together he also taught me how to swim as he did 100's of kids growing up in tarrytown in the 1960's I will miss him as he was a great personal friend of mine

I just returned from the wake and the turnout was awsome. I have only been in TFD for a little over a year and a half and never had the chance to meet him, but all i've ever heard was good things about him.

Washington Engine and the TFD lost a really dedicated member as well as a good man. I had the pleasure of serving on numerous committees with John as well as being in the company with him for the last 13 years. It was nice to see him get such a nice turnout tonight as well. RIP Johnny G

John was a Great man, May regards to the Family.