Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FIFA World Cup?

42 posts in this topic

Who do you think will win the Fifa World Cup? I think Italy will win it all even though Brazil is the reigning world champions.

Who do you think will win the Fifa World Cup? I think Italy will win it all even though Brazil is the reigning world champions.

I hope your right, thursday will be a big test against the Checs

Not that I'm a big soccer fan, but how about that US vs Italy game the other day. Man what a ref huh? That guy was horrible. Is the US still in the tournament? Can anyone explain exactly how it works? Ie: how many losses to be eliminated?

The US team sucks this year honestly. They lost 3-0 against the Chex and tied Italy 1-1 only because Italy scored on themselves. I haven't been following the overall tourney very closely but Brazil is always a favorite. Italy will have to play better if they plan to Win. Germany has been representing well as home team.

In related news, for all you Firefox users out there, there is a plugin you can use to track the WC standings and scores with real time updates on gams/goals/penaltys/etc. Check out http://www.mozilla.com/add-ons/jogacompanion/

Not that I'm a big soccer fan, but how about that US vs Italy game the other day.  Man what a ref huh?  That guy was horrible.  Is the US still in the tournament?  Can anyone explain exactly how it works?  Ie: how many losses to be eliminated?

I'll try .....

In the first round there are 8 groups each with 4 teams. Each team plays each other team in their group - so 3 games. Each game points are awarded.

For a win 3 points

For a draw 1 point

For a loss 0 points

The top two teams will advance to the knockout rounds. The groups are ordered by highest points. For teams with equal points it is decided on goal difference. Not sure what happens if that is equal! In theory 3 draws (3 points) or a draw and win (4) could get you through to the second round.

After the first round it is a knockout process. Team with higher score after 90 minutes, if equal, two 15 minute halves are played. If at the end of that, penalty shootouts are used. I believe best of 5 and then if equal, keep going until someone misses!

Wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup#Final_tournament has a pretty good write up.

The US plays Ghana Thursday at 10am and has to win to stand a chance of going through - it also depends on how Italy plays against the Czech ...

ENGLAND!

:blink:

Oops sorry taking a quick nap and dreaming again :P

Thanks Monty.

After the first round it is a knockout process. Team with higher score after 90 minutes, if equal, two 15 minute halves are played. If at the end of that, penalty shootouts are used. I believe best of 5 and then if equal, keep going until someone misses!

Penalty shootouts have to go. I just think its a cheap way out. I mean world cups come around every four years, between qualifying and a month long tournament your gonna have it come down to pk's. Sudden death let em keep playing till someone scores, it will also tell who has the deepest team as far as subs go

Thanks for the cool websites hoss and WAS967. Let's go Italy!

Italy stands no chance....they couldn't even defeat the U.S., look to see teams like Argentina, Germany, Ecuador and Brazil later on.

Deutschland vollständig!

well not the USA...we were knocked out by Ghana today....what sport are we good at....we sucked at the world baseball classic and now we suck at soccer well now i guess that im routing Spain now

well not the USA...we were knocked out by Ghana today....what sport are we good at....we sucked at the world baseball classic and now we suck at soccer    well now i guess that im routing Spain now

The other football.

I don't know but italy looked pretty good today...Brazil didn't play there best game but they still won. I guess we'll just have to wait and see ;)

Italy stands no chance....they couldn't even defeat the U.S., look to see teams like Argentina, Germany, Ecuador and Brazil later on.

seem to be doing pretty well. :P

Spain Stinks

So does the U.S

Adios Spain!!!!!!!! Forza Italia!!!!!!!!!

Adios Spain!!!!!!!! Forza Italia!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy it now......Italia is next!! :P

I have to say, I am very impressed with Italy's improvement since the beginning. If they continue to play as they are currently, a defeat of Germany would not be surprising. If Brazil does not begin to play soccer like they are capable of, then they will be in serious trouble again France. England will likely defeat Portugal. However like most sports playoffs, anyone can win on any day. As a side note, Italy is playing under intense pressure as a result of the uncovering of a huge scandel in Italian soccer clubs, notably Juventus. Additionally, a recently retired soccer star who moved into a administrative position at Juventus jumped out a window, believed to be a result of the scandel. The question is whether this will drive the Italian team, or ruin them. Sorry for length of this, I've been watchin too much soccer.

Hey Stiles....what was that about Italy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P:D

[/quote

FORZA ITALIA!!! FINALS BABY!!!!!!! FORZA ITALIA!!!!FORZA AZZURRI!!!!

I'm not sure but I think Italy won... :P

Italia won in double overtime with 1 minute left in the game by scoring 2 goals in that last minute. I broke the horn on my truck when I was out beeping and waving my flag after the game LOL. 2 - 1 Italy