Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NY Residents Petition To Dissolve Fire District

15 posts in this topic

New York Residents Petition To Dissolve Fire District

06-29-2006

ERIK GERMAN

Newsday

Jun. 28--A group of Gordon Heights Fire District residents, exasperated at paying Long Island's highest fire taxes, have begun circulating a petition to dissolve the district - a move experts called unprecedented in New York State.

"I've been doing this 30 years and I've never heard of a district being dissolved," said William Young, of upstate Guilderland, counsel to the Association of Fire Districts for the State of New York.

While Gordon Heights fire officials called the push for dissolution rash, petitioners say average fire tax bills of $1,344 - nearly four times higher than one neighboring district - demand a radical solution.

"We've got a fire department that's out of control," said one petition signer, William Gadson, 53, whose 2006 bill comes to $1,410. "Whatever our neighbors are paying, that's what we want to pay."

But Assistant Fire Chief Erton Rudder insisted the issue runs deeper than cost. "A closed firehouse symbolizes a reduction in safety in the community," he said. "This fire department is the glue that holds this community together."

Gordon Heights is a small, predominantly black neighborhood nestled between Coram, Middle Island and Yaphank. Its fire department, which protects fewer than 900 homes, has a $1.48-million budget, a fleet of 20 vehicles, a 24-hour emergency medical staff and three secretaries.

"George Bush doesn't have that many secretaries," said Joyce Bourne, 61, who said she paid $2,070.78 in fire taxes last year. Fire Commissioner Philip Gordon said the department's history as a black organization must be preserved.

Bourne, who is black, said, "They're trying to play the race card, but the only color about this is green, and it's called money."

Herb Davis, a 48-year fire commissioner in Yaphank, said about Gordon Heights, "They don't have the buildings or other taxable areas to substantiate the type of budget they're carrying."

Gordon blamed costly federal safety mandates and said commissioners were considering ways to reduce the tax burden. He said details would be forthcoming at a community meeting Thursday at 7 p.m. at the firehouse on 23 Hawkins Ave.

Gina Previte, one of the petition organizers, said the group has gathered more than 200 signatures - more than half the amount needed. Donald Price, one of the notaries gathering names, said he expects to finish by August. With enough signatures, the petition will land in Brookhaven Town Hall for public hearings and a possible town board vote on the district's fate.

Councilwoman Carol Bissonette, Brookhaven's fire department liaison, said it would set a "dangerous precedent" to dissolve the fire district. "While we are faced with a challenge that truly exists, I am confident that we will be able to find a solution that addresses everyone's concerns," she said.

Privately, other town officials describe the political dilemma pitting two highly charged constituencies against each other as a "nightmare."

Meanwhile, residents such as Melvin Robinson, 66, said they've had enough of fire commissioners who set department budgets and tax rates. "The department is wonderful," said Robinson, who has lived in Gordon Heights since 1942. "The commissioners - enough with 'em."

What they pay

Average fire taxes of Gordon Heights and surrounding fire districts:

Medford $358

Yaphank $398

Middle Island $505

Coram $842

Gordon Heights $1,344

Edited by EM2FD

fewer than 900 homes, has a $1.48-million budget, a fleet of 20 vehicles, a 24-hour emergency medical staff and three secretaries
Average fire taxes of Gordon Heights $1,344

Holy sh!t. I'm sorry, that is just completely out of control by ANY standards. It's downright apalling and sickening is what that is. At first while I was reading it, I was thinking with taxes that high, we're talking some exclusive community in the Hamptons with multi-million dollar mansions on the beach. Blew my mind when I got to the part describing the area they serve.

WOW, 20 vehicles for 900 homes, pretty good ratio. The article didnt mention if the medical staff was paid or volunteer. I would have to guess paid and would also guess that most of that budget would cover salaries and insurance, but I could be wrong. Either way one hell of a budget..

mabey ther should be some incentives like a losap program for them discount housing??

I wonder how often this department replaces their cheif's car, and how many do the have.

Well, I just found their website, and I'm a bit perplexed now. Looking at their apparatus, I only count 7 vehicles. 2 engines, one of which is an old Mack. 1 Telesquirt. 1 rescue pumper. 2 ambulances. 1 old van for fire police.

There is something to this story that just doesn't add up.

http://www.gordonheightsfd.com

Well, I just found their website, and I'm a bit perplexed now. Looking at their apparatus, I only count 7 vehicles. 2 engines, one of which is an old Mack. 1 Telesquirt. 1 rescue pumper. 2 ambulances. 1 old van for fire police.

There is something to this story that just doesn't add up.

http://www.gordonheightsfd.com

You can probably count three more "apparatus" for the chiefs' cars. There's likely a hot rod (being on Long Island) and a vehicle to tow it with (yes, I'm speculating).

You can probably count three more "apparatus" for the chiefs' cars.  There's likely a hot rod (being on Long Island) and a vehicle to tow it with (yes, I'm speculating).

They included all the chief's and support cars / trucks owned by them. Go through all the news articles online about this, including long island fire news. Actually, the residents will have a very hard time in trying to dissolve the district. I was stated that they still would have to pay up over $600,000 if everything was sold and they went with another protection agency. Also to they petition has to go to the town council and be given consideration. The Commissioners are triying do lower the taxes and also collect from those who haven't payed near the boarders.

GHFD also recently received a strong show of support from the neighboring departments during a recent meeting with several members attending supporting GHFD.

This is going to be an interesting one.

what happend if and when it get disolved?? does the fire company stay in business? it will be interesting thats for sure. can the taxpayers pay another area to cover them?? can the taxpayers sell off the equipment? buildings? appartaus? and get a rebate ??

what happend  if and when it get disolved?? does the fire company  stay in  business? it will be interesting  thats for sure. can the taxpayers pay another area to cover them??  can the taxpayers sell off the equipment? buildings? appartaus? and get a rebate ??

On article I read is that they would either be disovled and equipment sold and the area will fall under another department or they will end up merging with another district becoming a separate fire company with less equipment. OR they will remain in place.

Who knows, I hate to see a department or company close down.

On article I read is that they would either be disovled and equipment sold and the area will fall under another department or they will end up merging with another district becoming a separate fire company with less equipment.  OR they will remain in place.

Who knows, I hate to see a department or company close down.

Maybe this will be the kick in the pants that the servivce needs - if the company is closed down.

In another post there was mention of the last training post being June 22 (Stand down?). There is lots of talk about our job, training or lack of, leadership and lack of etc. Maybe this will wake up some people and start some change.

I don't know much about the LI departments other than what I read and hear, but it does seem that some are pretty excessive in many ways. This should be taken as a wake up call and a reminder that we are first and foremost firefighters.

Monty.

Wow.... that is bad!!! Those Commissioners should be ousted!! I'm suprised that petetion didn't start years ago!!!

And what does the Fire Cheif have to say about the budget? He is also resposible.... he should be made accoutable as well.

The Town of Brookhaven would have to figure out fire protection for Gordon Heights.

That would probably contracting with another company in Yaphank, for example. Not sure on that, however.

Edited by 23piraf

Wow.... that is bad!!!  Those Commissioners should be ousted!! I'm suprised that petetion didn't start years ago!!!

And what does the Fire Cheif have to say about the budget?  He is also resposible.... he should be made accoutable as well.

...mabye that's the problem with the way the chiefs are selected????

And what does the Fire Cheif have to say about the budget?  He is also resposible.... he should be made accoutable as well.

The fire chief of a district in NY State has little to no say on budget issues. During the formulation of a given budget, he can only request money be allocated for certain line items. It's the fire commissioners that have the final say. When it comes time for a purchase, again, the chief can only request an item is needed but he can't go out and get it unless ok'd by the commissioners.