Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
houlidsa

NYCHA Emergency Services

14 posts in this topic

The other day I was in line in a deli in the Morris Park area of the Bronx and I heard a large truck with sirens coming up the street. I caught a glimpse of a rescue style commercial truck, painted in NYPD color scheme but I positive it said "NYCHA Emergency Services". I'm guessing that its Housing Authority but what is it and what is it used for? I thought that the NYPD protect the builings under the Housing Authority. Please fill me in if you who anything. Thanks.

NYCHAPD is an extenstion of NYPD I believe. They're housing cops and their primary responsibility is all locales for NYC Public Housing. There's also a station that runs out of the PJ's by the 52pct I believe. CO-OP City has their own ESU as well.

The other day I was in line in a deli in the Morris Park area of the Bronx and I heard a large truck with sirens coming up the street.  I caught a glimpse of a rescue style commercial truck, painted in NYPD color scheme but I positive it said "NYCHA Emergency Services".  I'm guessing that its Housing Authority but what is it and what is it used for? I thought that the NYPD protect the builings under the Housing Authority.  Please fill me in if you who anything. Thanks.

It is not affiliated with the PD at all. I believe it is from their maintenance division.

there is no such thing as NYC Housing Authority PD anymore. Merged w/ NYPD (Along with NYC Transit PD) back in April of 1995. It was probably from NYCHA emergency maintenance.

Emergency Maintenance with sirens....interesting.

i was just thinking that why would they need sirens or lights

The other day I was in line in a deli in the Morris Park area of the Bronx and I heard a large truck with sirens coming up the street.  I caught a glimpse of a rescue style commercial truck, painted in NYPD color scheme but I positive it said "NYCHA Emergency Services".  I'm guessing that its Housing Authority but what is it and what is it used for? I thought that the NYPD protect the builings under the Housing Authority.  Please fill me in if you who anything. Thanks.

What you saw was the NYCHA techs reponding such persons as elavator maint. and the like

I was a memeber of them back in the mid 80's. That is the NYCHA Emergency Service Squad, we did everything from major floods to stuck occupied elevators. Nothing to brag about. PD and FDNY always got the press on calls such as those. What you saw ws proable the Elevator Divison of ESS. I think they are only allowed to go lights and sirens to stuck occupieds that have a medical emergency.

...Elevator Divison of ESS. I think they are only allowed to go lights and sirens to stuck occupieds that have a medical emergency.

That makes sense...some PD/FD units may be hesitant to attempt to gain acesss to stuck occupied elevators, perferring to leave it to elevator mechanics.

Back in good times, NYC Housing Police Emergency Rescue did the stuck occupied elevators...

I thought FDNY handled all the elevator calls...or at least 9 out of 10 of them.

Edited by CAM502

I thought FDNY handled all the elevator calls...or at least 9 out of 10 of them.

They do when NYCHA can't or will take too long.

only if 911 is called, keeping in mind ESS only does work in the Housing Projects

Edited by calhobs

If 911 is called, NYPD will dispatch a unit. When that unit arrives and finds a stuck occupied elevator, it is supposed to request ESU via their dispatcher. Not sure who calls FD or NYC Housing Authority Emergency Services.

When a person calls 911, and they give the PD operator the info, FDNY dispatched with one ladder company, or an engine and ladder if there is a report of a person in medical distress. If Housing doesn't know about it, we notify them. Every so often, someone calls for us again and Housing is already there, or they think that FD fixes the elevator.