Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westport CT FD Hiring- Filing Period Open

13 posts in this topic

Westport Fire Department

Recruit Firefighter Examination

SALARY: $42,593

The Westport Fire Department will be accepting applications for the position of Recruit Firefighter from July 17 – August 17, 2006.

Applications are available Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm at:

Personnel Department

Westport Town Hall

110 Myrtle Ave

Westport ,CT

Applications must be picked up in person.

We seek candidates in good physical condition and of high moral character interested in a career in the fire service. No previous firefighting experience is required. Applicants must have valid 2006 CPAT card and an EMT-B certification at the time of their appointment. Further information is included in the application package.

This position works a 24-hour shift schedule after recruit training. Starting salary is $42,593 per year with full benefits including uniform allowance, paid vacation after one year's service, pension and 401K.

The Westport Fire Department is a non-discriminatory employer in compliance with the Connecticut Fair Employment Standards Act.

http://www.westportct.gov/agencies/townman...workfortown.htm

Edited by x635

Hey, i know this is late in the game but does anyone know the exact requirements. I called and they said residancy dosesnt matter but the age is 18 to be apointed. Now is that just to be apointed or is that to file also? if not, what is the age for filing?

Also have to be CT EMT B, and CPAT by the date of hire, if not sooner

Does anyone know if their are any college credit requirements??

Gonna have to call them on Friday...

Anyone know if CT accepts NY or VA EMT-B?

They will probably offer a CPAT as part of their selection process.

I know most departments down here do.

No residency requirement is the intruiging part.

I guess Westport is so high $$ that no one who can afford to live there wants to be a firefighter.

Example: Don Imus (IMUS in the Morning on WFAN) has a multi-million dollar estate in Westport. :rolleyes:

-cmc-

Anyone know if CT accepts NY or VA EMT-B?

They will probably offer a CPAT as part of their selection process.

No residency requirement is the intruiging part.

I believe if you are NY state EMT getting reciprocity is not a problem. The application saya you have to have a valid CPAT card at the time of appointment meaning you have to schedule an appointment and take the CPAT and pass it before you are appointed. Many towns/cities in CT don't have a residency requirement or offer points to residents but allow anyone to take the test.

and to answer another question, if there were college credits required they would list that in the "Requirements" field on the application...

Edited by Jason762

Residency is not required, but closer to town is a plus. Housing costs were a reason to drop the 15 mile rule last contract.

Reciprocity of NY EMT I don't think is possible, check with CT Dept of Health for details. CT EMT-B is required by appointment date.

18 years of age by appointment date.

Valid 2006 CPAT card from the Connecticut Fire Academy required by date of appointment. WFD does not run CPAT testing. Must call CSFA for appointment for testing . We are not holding testing dates specific to WFD testing.

If an applicant does not have the EMT and CPAT when offered a job, they will stay at the top of the list and will be asked again when another position is available, so take the test and get your EMT and CPAT as soon as possible.

College credits are not required but there is $$$ incentives in the contract for college credits earned.

I hope this information is helpful. Good luck to all applicants and get the applications in before Aug. 18th.

Lt. Bill D. WFD

Well there ya have it...

THANKS LT!

-cmc-

by the way, anyone know off hand what the stats are on westport? i am just wondering. howmany guys are staffed at one time and on what trucks and how many runs they do a year and so on.

Information on CPAT for CT

http://www.ct.gov/cfpc/site/default.asp

You need to get your EMT in CT (or any other National Registry State) in order to be appointed.

Your NYS certs will not move over with you.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

Good luck to all who take this test!

-Erik-

Westport is a combination Department, I do not know how active the volunteer side is. I know they run 2 man engines (I think 5 but I'm not sure). A Truck & Rescue share a 2 man crew, there is also a Command Officer and his Driver. I know there are Career Line Officers but I'm not aware of how many or where they are stationed. Wish I could give you more stats but that's all I can remember, some of which may have changed.

For any of you who filed an application... don't forget the test is TOMORROW at 1000hrs.

Good luck!!!!!

-cmc-

Edited by cmcolfax

Westport is a combination Department, I do not know how active the volunteer side is. I know they run 2 man engines (I think 5 but I'm not sure). A Truck & Rescue share a 2 man crew, there is also a Command Officer and his Driver. I know there are Career Line Officers but I'm not aware of how many or where they are stationed. Wish I could give you more stats but that's all I can remember, some of which may have changed.

I had thought the trucks out of HQ had 3 (engine & tower) I'm not 100% sure. I think you may be right.