Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunaFish

Fire House Robbed, left bay door open

19 posts in this topic

West Haverstraw firehouse robbed as firefighters respond to a call

Play the video (07/27/06) WEST HAVERSTRAW - A firehouse in West Haverstraw was robbed as firefighters were out responding to a call.

Volunteer firefighters were responding to a house fire on Blauvelt Avenue Wednesday night and left so quickly that no one closed the bay door of the firehouse. When the firefighters returned, a volunteer found that he left his wallet behind and $250 in cash was missing. The fire chief says the crime is very disheartening because the firefighters are putting their lives on the line for the community without compensation.

The firefighters are hoping whoever stole the money will have a change of heart and return it. Anyone with information is asked to contact Haverstraw police at 845-354-1500.

:( AS copied from NEWS 12 On Line WebSite 7/28/06

Edited by tunaFish

West Haverstraw firehouse robbed as firefighters respond to a call 

Play the video (07/27/06) WEST HAVERSTRAW - A firehouse in West Haverstraw was robbed as firefighters were out responding to a call.

Volunteer firefighters were responding to a house fire on Blauvelt Avenue Wednesday night and left so quickly that no one closed the bay door of the firehouse. When the firefighters returned, a volunteer found that he left his wallet behind and $250 in cash was missing. The fire chief says the crime is very disheartening because the firefighters are putting their lives on the line for the community without compensation.

The firefighters are hoping whoever stole the money will have a change of heart and return it. Anyone with information is asked to contact Haverstraw police at 845-354-1500.

:(          AS copied from  NEWS 12 On Line WebSite  7/28/06

It's a small point, but that's a burglary, not a robbery.

Gotta keep the doors closed, sorry to say but you can't trust anyone today.

i agree you cannot trust anyone. i left the bay door open once and i literally checked everything twice to assure myself that everything that was in the bay when i left was still in the bay. It’s unfortunate but people are sleazy.

It's a small point, but that's a burglary, not a robbery.

Main Entry: bur·glary

Function: noun

Pronunciation: 'b&r-gl&-re also -g&-l&-re also -g&l-re

Inflected Form(s): plural -glar·ies

: the act of breaking and entering a dwelling at night to commit a felony (as theft) ; broadly : the entering of a building with the intent to commit a crime

- bur·glar·i·ous/"b&r-'glar-e-&s, -'gler-/ adjective

- bur·glar·i·ous·ly adverb

Next»Back to resultsMain Entry: rob·bery

Pronunciation: 'rä-b(&-)re

Inflected Form(s): plural -ber·ies

: the act or practice of robbing ; specifically : larceny from the person or presence of another by violence or threat

It was a robbery, according to the dictionary. Sorry, former educator here...

Edited by tunaFish

: the act of breaking and entering a dwelling at night to commit a felony (as theft) ; broadly : the entering of a building with the intent to commit a crime

: the act or practice of robbing ; specifically : larceny from the person or presence of another by violence or threat

It was a robbery, according to the dictionary.  Sorry, former educator here...

The station that I used to run out of had a great system to prevent this. After the tones dropped, there was a system that unlocked all the exterior pedestrian doors to the apparatus bay for 5 minutes. In addition, any bay door opened via the garage door opener in the apparatus itself closed as soon as the apparatus had crossed the threshold of the bay. So not only did you not need a key to get in if you were responding (side doors open for 5 minutes) but once the units responded the bays were closed. Kind of a cool system. I've never seen it replicated.

I'm certainly no expert, but by definition a robbery is larceny from the person or presence of another by violence or threat..... If there was no violence or threat, and the victim wasn't present, it sounds like a burglary...

:P

The station that I used to run out of had a great system to prevent this.  After the tones dropped, there was a system that unlocked all the exterior pedestrian doors to the apparatus bay for 5 minutes.  In addition, any bay door opened via the garage door opener in the apparatus itself closed as soon as the apparatus had crossed the threshold of the bay.  So not only did you not need a key to get in if you were responding (side doors open for 5 minutes) but once the units responded the bays were closed.  Kind of a cool system.  I've never seen it replicated.

I'm certainly no expert, but by definition a robbery is larceny from the person or presence of another by violence or threat.....  If there was no violence or threat, and the victim wasn't present, it sounds like a burglary...

Well, let's just put it to rest by saying, be careful and make sure the door is closed. Some poor guy had his wallet stolen. Please, no definitions of the word "stolen." :P

It was a robbery, according to the dictionary.  Sorry, former educator here...

As a police officer and paramedic, I have to disagree with you. the definition of burglary is the unlawful entering of a building to commit a crime within it is a property crime for the most part. Robbery is defined as the forceful taking of possessions from a person. The wallet was not on his person, it was in a building. By definition is DEFINITELY a burglary, NOT a robbery. There was absolutely no use of force.

While this tete-a-tete regarding whether it was a burglary or robbery is a bit of a tangent from the topic at hand, 20y2 is correct, both in NY Penal Law and in the common law, in his definition. Regardless of what the law defines this situation as, it was a despicable act.

I can't believe you guys are actually arguing something as irrelevant as whether it was a "robbery" or "burglary".

Point is, that neighborhood is full of punks and scumbags, so I'm surprised the guys didn't take the time to shut the door. Then again, it was a working structure so obviously they had more important things on their minds.

In addition, any bay door opened via the garage door opener in the apparatus itself closed as soon as the apparatus had crossed the threshold of the bay.

That sure doesn't sound too safe. Convenient, yes...but no way would I ever want an automatic system that closes a bay door using sensors rather than human interaction. What happens if something else crosses that threshold and trips the sensor, while you're pulling out? Or worse, while someone is standing under the door? No thank you. We've had guys close doors on apparatus before, which was enough of a headache that we had to disable the door close buttons from every controller except the one right next to the door itself.

Edited by res6cue

As a police officer and paramedic, I have to disagree with you. the definition of burglary is the unlawful entering of a building to commit a crime within it is a property crime for the most part. Robbery is defined as the forceful taking of possessions from a person. The wallet was not on his person, it was in a building. By definition is DEFINITELY a burglary, NOT a robbery. There was absolutely no use of force.

This came from NEWS12 originally, not me.  It was on their webwsite.  So, THEY used the wrong term,  "ROBBERY" not me.  I looked up the two words, to show their meaning and posted it here.  No matter.

Thanks for your input!

Edited by tunaFish

that is crazy, I hope that the West Haverstraw fire dept learned its lesson about leaving the fire house garage open. Today you have to be so careful about leaving doors open because you never know what could happen. I feel bad for the firefighter who had his money stolen. My advice is close the doors when you leave that is how you prevent burglaries from happening

Without repeating the obvious. make sure the bays are shut. :mellow: sorry. that being said, what kinda f*$#&(&^% degenerate is gonna go into to a house and rob the guys while they are out saving someons's a** (maybe even someone the freak knew!!!) people like that should be fair game for a serious a** beatin!!! Just me: i have no specifics, but the guy deserves a beatdown! what's next; equipment, radio's, back up units, who knows.

New headline - - Havestraw's bravest robbed by havestraw's most chinckensh*%!! :angry: :angry:

In as much as they should have closed the door on the way out, why did this guy leave his wallet just lay around with that much cash in it in the first place?

In as much as they should have closed the door on the way out, why did this guy leave his wallet just lay around with that much cash in it in the first place?

I admit, I've done it myself in the past. Get geared up at my gear rack, toss wallet inside shoes, jump on rig. Not that I'm naive, I'm not by any means, but isn't it so tremendously sad that of all places you should have to worry about your sh!t getting lifted, it's inside the firehouse? :(

BTW, the only thing worse than some skell having the balls to come in off the street and do something like this is one of your own MEMBERS doing it. I've seen that happen too, let's just hope in Vol Hose's case here, that's not what happened. :angry:

Edited by res6cue

leave wallet in car before going into firehouse.

buy garage door openers.

if you have garage door openers, USE THEM!!!!!!!

i feel sorry for the guy, but on the other hand, they left "the door wide open" on that one.

While this tete-a-tete regarding whether it was a burglary or robbery is a bit of a tangent from the topic at hand, 20y2 is correct, both in NY Penal Law and in the common law, in his definition. Regardless of what the law defines this situation as, it was a despicable act.

To thoroughly beat the proverbial dead horse, the crimes were actually burglary and larceny. Burglary was entering the FD to steal stuff and the larceny was actually stealing the stuff.

The media routinely screws up the difference between robbery and burglary. Big surprise!

alot of paid depts. leave their bay doors open all day into the evening. We should be able to leave our things in our house without the public coming in and stealing them.

We've all done it.. It can be uncomfortable, and depending on the incident, you may not see your wallet again for a while for "decon"