More information can be found here.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/communit...refighter.shtml

------------------------------------

Exam # is 6019 is for Open Competitive

Download NOE for EXAM 6019

Exam # 6506 for Promotional EMTs and Medics has been postponed

DOWNLOAD Application Here

For Information About Exams Call 212-669-1357

a voter registration form? does this mean i have to be a registered voter and i have to show proof?

i have a quick question. i am hearing from people that you must have a emt certification to be hired. is that true? and if it is not what's the difference between that and being a CFR-D.

Everyone... PLEASE READ THE NOE

---------------------------------------------------------------

CFR-D REQUIREMENT: You will be required to possess Certified First Responder Certification with Defibrillation (CFR-D) by the end of your probationary period. This certification must be maintained for the duration of employment.

READ

You do not need a EMT card only CFR. If you have an EMT card then great, you don't need the CFR.

If you do not possess a CFR-D certificate at the time of appointment, you will be required to obtain the CFRD certificate by the end of your probationary period.

FDNY provides a CFR-D training program during the probationary Firefighter training course at a cost of $775. Upon successful completion of FDNY’s CFR-D

course and receipt of your CFR-D certificate, payroll deductions will commence at a rate of $30 per pay period until the total cost is recouped by FDNY.

Probationers who fail to obtain a CFR-D certificate by the end of their probationary period will be terminated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

ADMISSION CARD:

You should receive an Admission Card in the mail about 10 days before the date of the test.

If you do not receive an Admission Card at least 4 days before the test date, you must go to the Examining Service Section, 1 Centre Street, 14th floor, Manhattan, to obtain a duplicate card.

------------------------------------------------

voter registration form

No, you do not need a Voter Registartion form......

Not sure where you are seeing this info.

----------------------------------

Education and Experience Requirements:

By the date of appointment, you must have a four-year high school

diploma or its educational equivalent, and:

1. 15 college semester credits earned as a result of satisfactory completion of course work at a college or university accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (“CHEA”); or

2. full-time U.S. military service with an honorable discharge; or

3. 6 months of full-time, satisfactory paid work experience.

Do you believe this B.S. 6th months paid work experiance in place of an already reduced credit amount.

What a joke......

............anyone who is a minority should be insulted by this move. Apparantly the city thinks the only way to increase diversity is to create a hiring process fit FOR IDIOTS.

I just don't get it. People are breaking down the doors to take a job for S*%T pay. This, you would think, would allow the city to create very high standards...........what was I thinking.......

WstPrideEng92:

FDNY will train you but you will have to pay for it. See the note on CFR

Also many of the EMT programs will offer the CFR if asked.

lfdR1:

We can't complain to much about the lowering of the standards, due to the fact that everyone complained when the started the entire credit requirment.

I still think it should be 30 credits...

tbenidick, so i shouldnt expect to get a letter from the city for about another month?

tbenidick, so i shouldnt expect to get a letter from the city for about another month?

You shouldn't get a letter until Jan 10th.

You should receive an Admission Card in the mail about 10 days before the date of the test. The test Date is Jan 20th - 10 days is Jan 10th...

You shouldn't get a letter until Jan 10th.

You should receive an Admission Card in the mail about 10 days before the date of the test.  The test Date is Jan 20th - 10 days is Jan 10th...

gotcha, thanks

I understand that this is something that no one can really know the right answer to, but I was hoping that maybe someone could comment on it either way based on opinion, rumor, past actions...whatever

Is it true, that since the city has hired an incredible amount of FF's off this current/past list, that they probably wont be planning on putting in too many FF's off the next list coming from the Jan. exam? This has kind of been a hear/say discussion so far...and I was hoping that maybe someone who understands the city's stats on its past lists, or how it works, could clarify on this a little more. I was always under the influence due to its past, that the city always hires a large amount of FF's from each list, of course some more than others, but overall, still a large amount.....anybody have anything?

thanks!

LPFIRE,

As far as numbers, it's anyones guess.

As of right now we are way over staffed.. Many firehouses have double and even triple groups. As well there are tours in which the staffing is over 50extra people.

So if you asked most people, they would say that the hiring should slow down, but it has yet to do so.

LPFIRE,

As of right now we are way over staffed.. Many firehouses have double and even triple groups.  As well there are tours in which the staffing is over 50extra people.

So if you asked most people, they would say that the hiring should slow down, but it has yet to do so.

thanks for the information tbendick.

thats pretty much what i've been told, that there are so many ppl going in, that they dont even know where to put them, almost implying that the next list prob. wont be close to this one, BUT, on the other hand, considering that facts that the next list wont even be established for almost 2 years from now, followed by a length period of about 4 years, i've been told that like most city lists, it will still be accepting a high amt, (not to mention with the city's push for putting in minorities this time around). what do you think about this? also, if the city is over staffed, why are they continuing to put in classes off the current list? or have they/going to stop?

LPFIRE,

As of right now we are way over staffed.. Many firehouses have double and even triple groups.  As well there are tours in which the staffing is over 50extra people.

Those extras end up sent to firehouses that are short or to fill out the 5FF engines?

FILING DATE EXTENDED TO 11-3-06

Firefighter exam deadline extended

BY JONATHAN LEMIRE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

The FDNY is giving would-be firefighters three extra weeks to apply to take the entrance exam in an eleventh-hour effort to boost the number of minority-group members taking the test, the Daily News has learned.

Candidates now have until Nov. 3 to sign up - the latest move in an uphill effort to increase the diversity of a department that is 91% white.

In May, with the department's hiring practices under investigation by the Justice Department, the FDNY launched a multimillion-dollar ad campaign to lure more minority-group firefighters.

In August, it relaxed its hiring requirements.

But an FDNY source said yesterday the number of all applications, including those from minority-group candidates, is down when compared with the 2002 test.

Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta is expected to officially announce the extension today - and reveal a change to the physical portion of the firefighter exam.

"We want to give everyone in the city an opportunity to file," Scoppetta told worshipers yesterday at St. Paul Community Baptist Church in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.

"We want the Fire Department to be as diverse as the city and representative of the communities we are serving."

While the number of minority-group members who have expressed interest in joining the FDNY has increased, that has not yet translated into more blacks and Latinos registering to take the Jan. 20 exam, officials said.

Applicants now need only 15 college credits - down from 30 - or six months of work experience. Candidates with two years of military service also qualify.

The Citywide Administrative Services Department, which runs the exam, declined to comment on the exact number of applications.

"The numbers are low," said Paul Washington, head of the Vulcan Society, which represents the city's black firefighters. "If the numbers of black firefighters don't increase, this campaign hasn't worked."

With Noah Fowle

Originally published on October 16, 2006 

Anyone know what changes they are making to the physical test?

read a rumor that they are changing it to just pass/fail...you have to complete all events in a specific total time instead of each event being timed

Edited by Taz288

The test is essentially pass/fail already.

Anyone know approx. how long after the open exam the medical exam is supposed take place? Im signed up to take the open in January and I have to get laser surgery for my vision before I take my eye test. Thank you.

If you are taking the test in Jan, you will have a lot of time before the medical.. It could be a year or more until you would need to take the eye test.

ohhh wow thats a long time...dunno if thats good or bad...thanks for the info