Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Da bronx Aug 2 2006

16 posts in this topic

why so many relocations? in my neighboorhood which is battalion 19 response areas battalion 17 was going on runs ladder 19 was acting ladder 56.ladder 17 was acting ladder 33.302 relocated to engine 62.ladder 144 i forgot where they were.was there a fire,or due to the heat nothing big was going on 154.290.also i think their was a relocator for ladder 36?

there was a good size fire the two days agos. it was a vacant dwelling with fire on 2nd & 3rd floor if I'm correct. I also believe alot of guys took a beating from the weather. Sorry don't know more I was off that day.

why so many relocations? in my neighboorhood which is battalion 19 response areas battalion 17 was going on runs ladder 19 was acting ladder 56.ladder 17 was acting ladder 33.302 relocated to engine 62.ladder 144 i forgot where they were.was there a fire,or due to the heat nothing big was going on 154.290.also i think their was a relocator for ladder 36?

Although I am on medical leave, I can answer this to a point. You have to look at the larger picture. You have units out for the entire day tour so you may be short right there. You also have units that are must fills, such as Ladder 36, due to geographical considerations. One other thing you have to remember is that unlike Brooklyn, where you have an abundance of units, you get a multiple and maybe another all hands on top of that in the Bronx, you're going to Manhattan or Queens for relocators. Simply put, the Bronx runs out of companies pretty quick. With the weather conditions and manholes, you probably had a lot of units sitting on those till Con Ed showed up. We have to maintain an adequate amount of units to keep the entire borough protected. If we start getting below a certain point, or percentage, we go into Fallback Step 3 which is where we modify responses. Some bosses modify it even further when there's bad weather, or numerous Activated Fire Alarms going off due to Con Ed blowing a feeder somewhere or a power surge(which is something I am notorious for doing). With bad weather we just prioritize.

It's not uncommon for the 17 to go north into the 19 if the 19 is the 10-75 chief at a job(in this case I think he was if I remember the job correctly). The 18 will go west and the 27 will come south. The 13 Bn will come over from Manhattan. 56 Truck was also second due at that job and I would presume 33 was either OOS or went in as FAST truck. Double check that relocator to 62. Engine 302 is restricted from relocation and even if they weren't, any Supervising Dispatcher would have a lot of explaining to do if they took an Engine from South Jamaica and put them up in the North Bronx. Sure it wasn't maybe 306?? 19 Truck to 56 is a relocation we do all the time, and vice versa, simply because it's a straight run right up Webster Avenue. Same with 17 up to 33. We send them right up the Concourse to 33 pretty regularly, and just before I went out, I sent 33 down to 17 to fill the hole while 17 and 29 were tied up in Queens. You mentioned 144, they are within spitting distance of the Throggs Neck Bridge, so I would presume they came over to backfill a Bronx Unit that was either relocated already, or out of service and the Bronx needed to fill a hole. There is a weird science to relocations, and it does take some time to be able to do them with a certain amount of skill.

jbe thanx man your always a help and i hope you feel better.

Hey JBE, get relocators done with some skill? Sounds like you can get them done in your sleep.

JBE, always appreciate the run down on the calls. I hope the medical leave is nothing serious.

Hey JBE,  get relocators done with some skill?  Sounds like you can get them done in your sleep.

Ahh, if only WC was so organised :P

......."nothing big was going on 154.290"....

If that is what you were listening to, it's because you had the wrong frequency on the scanner! It's actually 154.190, but I am thinking it is just a typo.... <_<

jbe thanx man you also come through in the clutch i hope you feel better. eng 92 yeah lol it was a typo

Ahh, if only WC was so organised  :P

Not an easy task....every single department wants things done "thier way." Until we can put aside issues like this, it will be damn near impossible to accomplish.

Just my opinion.

Well this is where you have the guy running things up there sitting down every chief in the county and saying, "We need to get some standarization and let's do it quickly. Let's set up plans for relocations and assignments to locations, keep the politics out of it." And you take it from there.

Ahh, if only WC was so organised  :P

I guess if we had a couple dozen manned fire units we could do just as well.

But do we need better dispatchers or more paid guys?????

I don't think either will be a fix, however there is nothing wrong with wanting better dispatchers. Which everyone could use some improvement. What I am saying is having someone in charge of communications, or the head of DES, or both taking assignments from each department. Paid or volunteer doesn't matter. Like I said before, have these people work with the respective chiefs and make a county wide plan for mutual aid, with provisions installed to keep everyone happy.

jbe thanx man you also come through in the clutch i hope you feel better. eng 92 yeah lol it was a typo

That sounds a little more correct. Once again, a straight run up Webster Avenue,

right turn onto Gun Hill, right turn onto WP Road and bada bing, you got 92 acting 62.

Edited by JBE

westchester organized? its not the fault of DES or 60 control-Too many depts still have the mentality that "NOBODY" is going to tell us how to run our dept. even if it benefits "ALL" WITHIN THE COUNTY!!!

Just to add to this, if anyone has questions about relocations citywide, please don't hesitate to hit me on the PM's and ask away.

Just to add to this, if anyone has questions about relocations citywide, please don't hesitate to hit me on the PM's and ask away.

very informative jbe,and remember don't upset the dispatchers or you may well find yourself doing a relocation(we call them move ups here in sydney)at 3 am if needed. : :D