Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Armored Presidential Train Found Under Waldorf?

16 posts in this topic

I've always heard rumors that this secret train car existed in the Metro North Park Avenue tunnel. In fact, it was referenced in one of my favorite TV documentaries late last year, "Inside Grand Central" (Available on DVD) on the National Geographic Channel. It's neat they are investigating it now, yet I find it weird no one knows for sure the origin of this car.

VIDEO: http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/De...TY&pageId=3.2.1

EXCLUSIVE: Armored Presidential Train Found Under Waldorf?Last Wednesday, 09 Aug 2006, 10:42 PM EDT

Fox 5's Lisa Evers got an exclusive look at a train under the Waldorf-Astoria that was likely used by President Franklin Roosevelt. 

Lisa Evers went along with the U.S. Secret Service for an exclusive look at a remarkable find under the Waldorf-Astoria: An armored rail car that may have been used by President Franklin Roosevelt during World War II. 

VIDEO: http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/De...TY&pageId=3.2.1

Very interesting, good find! I was hoping to get more views inside, it looked like they did not gain access or are waiting to?

I have heard about the existence of this train and the platform under the Waldorf for years.

What has changed?? Was the train hidden in a sealed tunnel? Has no one thought about the 'rumor' to actually take a walk down there??

The elevator is plainly visible on the street, next to the parking garage entrance.. I have walked past it over the years, and it is kept highly polished.

Accordign to sources, X635 might be familiar, the car was used on a work train. It was filled with wreck equiptment. There has been a lot of speculation about it. It'll be interesting to follow the story.

Yah It was made around WWII for FDR to travel with due to the Axis threat. I learned about it back in college while getting my degree. Never saw it though. Sould be interesting.

I dont know much about trains, but doesnt the MNCX marking mean it was used by Metro North Commuter Rail (which coincides with what lfdR1 was saying...). Thats a pretty cool find!

I dont know much about trains, but doesnt the MNCX marking mean it was used by Metro North Commuter Rail (which coincides with what lfdR1 was saying...). Thats a pretty cool find!

The Metro North Commuter Railroad was not named as such 50 years ago or whenever that car was last used. The New York Central Railroad would have been a proper name for the time and it was originally founded as the New York and Harlem Railroad.

MNRR wasn't founded until 1983 when the MTA took over Conrail's operation of commuter service on the line.

I would guess that any markings referencing MNRR on a car that old, would have either been added after it was already sitting there, OR they were coincidental.

Edited by mfc2257

I'm told Metro North owns three cars that are either called "Presidential Cars" or "Executive Cars".

They are labelled "MN1" "MN2" and "MN3".

They are from the 40's or 50's. "Real Old" was how they were decribed to me. They are generally kept at Grand Central and are not well maintained.

Custom made they contain kitchens, dining areas, lounge, couches and chairs.

They have an old diner style look to them.

They said in the video that the X on the end of the MNCX designation was indicitive of military origins.

I read a mystery a few years ago that took place on Amtrak trains, I think it was called Foamers. The book had an escape by the hero, that utilized that old tunnel. I never thought about there being a train car still there, I would have thought it kept elsewhere then brought to the hotel as needed. Then again there are lots of historical mysteries under NYC.

Some more info on this.. One of the reasons I am told that FDR used this access was that he could move around with his wheelchair and not be seen.

I have been down on this platform and at this elevator, it's not too far from one of the substations that powers the terminal. I would have to look at my maps to see if it shows, this track 61 on our copies.

Most of the old cars that are still around at located on the upper level near the Lex side of the building. Not sure if you can see them from public view or if you have to walk around some paths before you can see them.. But as said before they look like old fancy dinning cars.

Another interesting fact is that trains travel around the terminal. There are a few tracks that are under 42nd street alowing a train to travel south and turn around and go back north..

Here is the train on the left. Note that photo is backwards..

gctwotraincars5.JPG

Edited by tbendick

Fascinating info. I've been taking trains in the last few years and it's an amazing place - especially as it's almost 100 years old! I saw a documentary - are the lightbulbs still reverse thread? Apparently they did that because so many were stolen.

Let us know if you can do private tours - love to get some behind the scene views! I've meant to walk platform 34 which I understand is the longest platform, but I've never got around to it yet.

I've also seen some old cars that look like diners. They are in a pretty poor state and look like maybe they're used by work crews now.

Given the current state of the world, I'm amazed there are not more signs of surveilance. Maybe it's covert, but in the UK you see cameras and signs everywhere.

Thanks again to all for the info on this one.

Another interesting fact is that trains travel around the terminal. There are a few tracks that are under 42nd street alowing a train to travel south and turn around and go back north..

gctwotraincars5.JPG

If I recall there are four tracks on the lower level that circle around. There aren't used any more mostly due to the fact that the wider electric cars used in todays trains were getting damaged while traveling through the loops. With the lack of a defined front and back to an electric train there is no need to turn it around. I also believe that the diesels are all running these days with the locomotives on the north end of the train (for the most part) and thus they don't need to be turned around either.

MNCX is the code for the Minnesota Corn Processors Inc. They built Coach train cars as well as cars built to haul what else but CORN.

By the way, MNCW is the code for Metro-North Commuter Railroad