Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Putnam County Photo Hunt

32 posts in this topic

Well, I was up at my mothers this morning and I decided to hop in the car and head out for a little photo hunt.

First stop, Brewster for those elusive shots of 11-5-1 that somebody was asking about.

11-5-1.jpg

The Ladder 8 Tribute was pretty easy to find..

8Tribute-1.jpg

Run around front, and we have 11-2-1.

11-2-1-2.jpg

Off to Brewsters main station, where I find 11-2-5.

11-2-5-1.jpg

Next Stop, Patterson. Here's 22-2-3.

22-2-3.jpg

From the other side.

22-2-3-2.jpg

Here's a shot I have wanted for a long time. 22-5-1.

22-5-1.jpg

Somebody help me out, is this a 75 footer or a 100 footer??

Please PM me for permission to use these pictures.

Edited by JBE

Quick trip over to my old stomping grounds in Lake Carmel, where I find 17-2-3 practicing pumping/drafting/putting the deck gun to work. Maybe some of you Lake Carmel guys can help me out on this one. Was I dreaming or is that deck gun spring loaded so it will clear the apparatus door??

Deckgun3.jpg

Got over to the Main Station, where I grabbed a few shots. 17-1-1, 17-2-1, and 17-7-1.

17-1-1-2.jpg

17-2-1.jpg

17-7-1.jpg

And another shot of 17-2-3. I miss the old Ford with the front mounted pump.

17-2-3-7.jpg

Next and final stop. Kent. first off the new 16-2-1. This has got to be one of the coolest rigs I have seen in a long time.

16-2-1-2.jpg

16-4-2

16-4-2-1.jpg

16-4-3. I was amazed at the job they did on the refurb.

16-4-3.jpg

16-7-1

16-7-1-2.jpg

And finally, 16-1-1.

16-1-1.jpg

A BIG Thank you to the members of Brewster, Lake Carmel(968), Patterson and especially Kent for being so accomodating. If anyone wants to use these pictures, do the right thing and PM me for permission. I'd really rather not have to start watermarking my pictures.

Enjoy!!!

Edited by JBE

Nice shots, and thanks for the one of Brewsters TL- it always seems to hide from my camera!

16-2-1 is definetly a cool rig, I like! Also, is that Kent Cliffs ambulance new?

Thanks for sharing JBE!

Nice shots Its nice to see someone come around especially in Kent to take pictures of the Rigs. The ambulance is brand new It is a 2006 Wheeled Coach. Our other ambulance wasn't doing great so it was time to upgrade.

Here's a shot I have wanted for a long time. 22-5-1.

22-5-1.jpg

Somebody help me out, is this a 75 footer or a 100 footer??

The picture shown is a tandem axle rig with would be indicitive of it having a 100 foot aerial as the 75 footer's only have a single rear axle.

However......

If I remember correctly, Pattersons truck is late 80's. Sutphen did not manufacture a "true" 100 foot aerial platform then. The aerial is likely only 95 feet.

Great shots! That Kent 16-2-1 is a real nice rig. I'd say you had a very productive day on your photo hunt.

Believe me, I wanted to get more, I think what I am going to do next time is hit one or two departments up there on a Sunday and space it out over the course of a few weekends, weather permitting of course. I'll probably head back up tand do Brewsters main station, substation again and Put Lake next time. Then hit Croton Falls. After that I'll do all of Somers.

The picture shown is a tandem axle rig with would be indicitive of it having a 100 foot aerial as the 75 footer's only have a single rear axle. 

However......

If I remember correctly, Pattersons truck is late 80's.  Sutphen did not manufacture a "true" 100 foot aerial platform then.  The aerial is likely only 95 feet.

yeah, If I remember correctly, it is 95'. I heard a rumor that this is Mt Kisco's old tower ladder. Can anyone confirm this?

yeah, If I remember correctly, it is 95'.  I heard a rumor that this is Mt Kisco's old tower ladder. Can anyone confirm this?

Mt Kisco's old ladder was bought by Dover Plains (and recently sold). Pattersons was bought for the department by the Jehovah's Witness College when it opened up in 90's.

Thanx for the info on 22-5-1. It was purchased by the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. I just wasn't sure the size of the boom. I got some clarification on 17-2-3's deck gun. It's not spring loaded. I guess it just slides up and locks into place. I think this weekend I am going to sit down and plan out my trips over the course of September/October. Should be enough to keep me busy.

However......

If I remember correctly, Pattersons truck is late 80's.  Sutphen did not manufacture a "true" 100 foot aerial platform then.  The aerial is likely only 95 feet.

Sutphen did make 100' towers in the late 80's as New Hamburg has an 87 100'.

New Hamburg Tower

Rombout had a picture taken at one time of local Sutphen Towers not sure why New Hamburg was not there, but Dover, Patterson, Rombout and one other company not sure whom.

btw nice pictures.

pattersons ladder is an 85 footer

Patterson's Ladder is 100' not 75' or 85'. It's a 1989 ladder that was refurbed and a crew cab put on 4 or 5 years ago.

Edited by bmb142

Nice pics from brewster/patterson. 11-2-1 is huge, without that mechanical stair, its hard to get in.

brewster has some nice rigs now only if mt.vernon could get some rigs like

that

11-2-5 is a really good rig..

Edited by loftus

Was I dreaming or is that deck gun spring loaded so it will clear the apparatus door??

I got some clarification on 17-2-3's deck gun. It's not spring loaded. I guess it just slides up and locks into place.

Yeah, it's the TFT Extend-A-Gun. We have it on one of our engines. The deck gun sits in a well above the pump panel when stowed, and when deployed it raises 12" to clear the raised roof and hosebed.

Nice shots! What does the comapny numbers mean? Is it a Putnam county thing or does it go by station? seems like a lot to say over the radio or are they dispatched diffrently?

Nice shots! What does the comapny numbers mean? Is it a Putnam county thing or does it go by station? seems like a lot to say over the radio or are they dispatched diffrently?

The first 2 digits represent the Department's number starting alphabetically with 11 for Brewster, 12 for Carmel 13 for Cold Spring etc....

The 3rd number is the unit type

Chiefs 1

Engines 2

Brush Truck 3

Tanker 4

Ladder 5

Rescue 6

Ambulance 7

Hose truck etc 8

Officers, fire police units 9

The 4th number is the unit number

for example 15-3-2, 15 is Garrison, 3 is for Brush truck, 2 is unit #2

13-1-2 Cold Spring 1st assistant Chief

11-6-1 Brewster Rescue

24-2-2 Putnam Valley Engine #2

18-7-2 Mahopac ambulance #2

Hope that wasn't too confusing

I am getting into weekends on my tours lately, so I may have to hold off for a while. I would have reached out to a few people for this weekend, but I am taking overtime Sunday(Christmas is coming). For those of you who have replied, thank you. I will be in touch.

that sutphen tower is only 95, norwalks reserve truck 2 iss a 80"s model and its only a 95 footer and thats the biggest sutphen made at that time. now they make 100 plus towers.

csfc1311 thanks for the info! Is that they way they are dispatched over the radio or does each department have their own dispatch and are just reffered to as the las number in the series?

Edited by Scottyk107

If I remember correctly, the alarm is announced, but assignments are not given over the air. When the unit signs on it goes something like this.

"Putnam 911 this is 12-2-1"

"12-2-1"

"12-2-1 is responding to XXXXXXX"

Yup, that’s correct they will send out the run and units will sign on once crews are assembled. The only exception to that would be if there is an automatic mutual aid agreement in which case 911 will tone out the department in which the alarm originates along with the M/A department and say "911 to Carmel Fire..blah blah blah. Lake Carmel 1 engine to respond automatic mutual aid to so and so address for blah blah blah."

Edited by 66Alpha1

Well actual radio ettiquette is 12-2-1 to Putnam 911

But you are right, we dispatch whole departments, not specific apparatus except for the mutual aid and when certain units are requested by the IC.

yeah but its just so much easier to say 3372 911. tongue.gif

Edited by 66Alpha1