Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
junior215

Actual personal rope bail-out?

14 posts in this topic

Quick question to all--------

With all of the focus on bail-out systems anad techniques in the fire service, does anyone know of an ACTUAL incident where a firefighter has used one of these techniques/devices to save themselves from impending doom (besides FDNY incident).

Please respone if you have any info.

Thanks to all

Off the top of my head, a few years ago in Greenwich, there were a few guys who had to jump out of a third storie window because of a flashover. They were ordered out of the building, and then returned into it to look for some missing kids. If they had some form of rope they might have not been injured so badly. In my local area thats all I can recall over the past 10 years.

Yea, thats true. I dont know of anything, it doesnt happen very often. But at the same time, it only takes that one time when you're in a building, and you're in a situation where you need a bail out bag... In that case you'll be wishing you had one. I think they are a good thing to have.

Quick question to all--------

With all of the focus on bail-out systems anad techniques in the fire service, does anyone know of an ACTUAL incident where a firefighter has used one of these techniques/devices to save themselves from impending doom (besides FDNY incident).

Please respone if you have any info.

Thanks to all

The Elmsford FD has had 35 ft. bailout ropes in service for sometime.

A few years ago I was forced to bailout of a 1st floor apartment house rear window, which was about 10 feet off the ground.

While not using my bailout rope, it was nice to know that I had it, if the window had been higher.

FDNY Chief John Salka, who developed the "Get Out Alive" program, soon followed it with his "Staying Out of Trouble" program, which stresses firefighter safety and orientation on the fireground and in the fire building....thereby not needing to bailout.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Syd Henry

Elmsford FD

Edited by Fireman488

Thanks for the feedback. I believe the Greenwich incident is not a good example because the fire had been going for close to 1 hour and the firefighters were sent in after a missing child. At that point the child had 0 survivability. However, if they had a rope, or even a ladder, the career anding injuries could have been avoided.

Also, does anyone think that there is too much attention given to the bail-out ropes. Statistically, more firefighters die from heart attacks and vehicle accidents.

Thanks for the feedback.

Also, is anyone incorporating the bailout into normal training evolutions as a curve ball. Realistically you would have to use a low window because the need to belay out of the second floor window, but I know I can do a perfect bailout under normal conditions. If I was to do it while confused and fatigued, I would be very challenged.

Edited by junior215

Although this is only semi related, I know that a Firefighter I class that some of our newer members just attended included ladder bailouts (not rope bailouts) which I found interesting, because I had never learned this untill I took Firefighter Safety & Survival at the CT Fire Academy. I see teaching bailouts in a basic class as a great safety improvement.

I believe the Greenwich incident is not a good example because the fire had been going for close to 1 hour and the firefighters were sent in after a missing child. At that point the child had 0 survivability.

How is that not a good example? It met all the criteria for which your question was asking. Just because the tactics at the fire may have been questionable doesn't mean it wasn't a good example of when having a bail-out system would have possibly been helpful.

How is that not a good example?  It met all the criteria for which your question was asking.  Just because the tactics at the fire may have been questionable doesn't mean it wasn't a good example of when having a bail-out system would have possibly been helpful.

I agree 100%, dont confuse "poor tatics" with a true need to bailout which is exactly what happened this is the perfect example, if you have to go, you will, with or without ropes, ladders, or the knowledge to use either one.

i know your original question was about bailout using the rope technique. I did hear of one somewhere but it slips my mind, the ladder bailout has been used many times, again with or without the proper training or technique. The most important part of that was THE LADDER WAS THERE TO USE!!!!!

The original question was about bail-out techniques, i.e. ladder bail-outs, ropes, etc.

Didn't the Grrenwich incident involve members having to JUMP because a ladder was not present. I refuse to comment on the issue because I do not know the whole story.

Yes, jumping out of a window is "bailing out," but is want to know about actual, trainable methods like the FDNY Petzl system. Therefore, Greenwich IS NOT A GOOD EXAMPLE BECAUSE THEY DID NOT USE A TRAINED BAILOUT METHOD.

My reply was inappropriate because I cited the tactics. My fault.

The original question was about bail-out techniques, i.e. ladder bail-outs, ropes, etc.

Didn't the Grrenwich incident involve members having to JUMP because a ladder was not present. I refuse to comment on the issue because I do not know the whole story.

Yes, jumping out of a window is "bailing out," but is want to know about actual, trainable methods like the FDNY Petzl system. Therefore, Greenwich IS NOT A GOOD EXAMPLE BECAUSE THEY DID NOT USE A TRAINED BAILOUT METHOD.

My reply was inappropriate because I cited the tactics. My fault.

Seriously. Weather it's used every day, or once in a twenty year career. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and be Shi* out of luck... Enough said.. BE SAFE...

Before I Was a FF, the boy scouts taught me "be prepared." 16 years ago and I still try to abide by it.

Besides the FDNY Petzl system what other systems are in use in this area? I use 40 feet of 8mm rope with a mini-rack pre-connected to a Gemtor harness. Basically all that is left is to find an anchor point which can be accomplished by placing a tool (halligan, all metal hook) in the corner of the window and off you go. A simple system that works quickly and reliably, cause when the s--- hits the fan, there is no time to screw around making connections or tying knots.