Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Fire Police/Traffic Vehicles

5 posts in this topic

Am I the only one who thinks these are a good idea?

I know in some towns, traffic is the PD's responsibilty, but some the FD is responsible, or is drafted into, traffic control duties.

Recently, in my travels around the northeast, I have seen quite a few. They usually are an older pickup truck converted for fire police or traffic use,many done in house, and some even aaquired from the local highway department (or even part of their budget lol), and contain arrowstick/arrowstick boards, lighting/light towers, cones, flares, vests, signs like road closed, accident ahead, detour, etc, radios, barriers, barrier tape, etc etc.

Here's an photographic example:

http://www.emtbravo.com/Spec2/NSFP.html

With the amount of traffic in Westchester, how has this idea not caught on in some form around here?

Money? Who knows. I think it looks like a great idea. Why strip the aparatus of it's flares when you can have a vehicle deicated to Fire Police use. For my information as well, what capabilities do Fire Police have on the fireground? Do they have the ability to arrest someone who violates the cordoned off area? Do they have any police powers at all? (I had heard something about this a while back but my knowledge of the subject is nill).

I think Somers U-5 is sorta a basic Traffic Control Vehicle.

What is Somers U-5 .......meaning make and model? also what is the Purpose of U-5 In Somers

What is Somers U-5 .......meaning make and model? also what is the Purpose of U-5 In Somers

U-5 is a 1987 F-350 chassis with a utility body. The vehicle wasn't designated U-5 until 1996 upon placing rescue engine 183 in service.

It carries fire police equiptment (baricades, tape, cones). It also carries a portable generater with lights and trash pumps for pump outs. It's also used to shuttle misc equiptment around. It's used for service calls (pump outs, wires down, police assists) where you wouldn't need to tie up a pumper. It's also used to shuttle equiptment if needed.

Prior to 1996 the vehicle was designated as QA-1 (quick attack). It was a "state of the art" structural fire supression system that consisted of a 500 pound dry chem tank, 250 gallon water tank and 30 gallon foam tank on a skid unit. Also carried on the vehicle were the hurst tool and air bags.