Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maisela

FDNY Rescue 1 Spy Shots

58 posts in this topic

The cab is shorter than the E-One cab, but if you look they added the transverse compartment at the front of the body to compensate for the lost small compartment that was on the E-One cab. I suspect the overall length is just about equal for both trucks, it's just a bit of an optical illusion with the cab being shorter. As a matter of fact, now that I look at them side by side again, the Pierce may even be a few inches longer.

Its almost old school...I love it. Looks amazing. The only bit of weirdness is the diamond plate above the first rear wheel. I can't wait to see it with da boat on top on the streets.

You know, I am kinda suprised that there is no transverse compartment on the cab since Peirce does have the capability of constructing one. FDNY must want to try something new or seems that they're going back to the Mack / Saulsbury configuration from the early 90's.

Honestly I think you get more out of the transverse compartment when it's on the body like the Pierce. First of all, it sits lower which is never a bad thing. Also, by shifting it to the body and shortening up the cab, you retain basically the same OAL and wheelbase, but now they can put bigger underbody cribbing compartments on the Pierce. And of course the walkin crew area is bigger now too.

BTW, the piece of diamond plate on the wheelwell is actually the door for a compartment that holds the wheel chocks. The old units had the entire area covered in diamond plate.

user posted image

you can find more pics of RES1CUE on firepics.net

Sweet looking Rig

By far the best shots I've seen of her so far. These were taken at the factory just before she left for her long voyage east. Photos compliments of Sven73 at firehouse.com.

THUMBNAILS, CLICK FOR FULL RES!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Daaaaaaamn! Such a fine, fine rig. I can't wait to see how this baby handles the winter nightmare that shall soon be upon us.

Yea...i'm def liking it a lot, lot more now...those lil circular hooks in the rear top corners make me wonder if its gonna be used to tow the e-one outta the house... biggrin.gif

those lil circular hooks in the rear top corners make me wonder if its gonna be used to tow the e-one outta the house... biggrin.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Normally I'm a fan of aluminum wheels, but I think the red steel look sharp on this rig. It seems lately that FDNY is a bit bipolar in regards to rigs being spec'd with aluminum or steel.

I like the "outstanding" on the front above the grill.

Just wondering, I remember after 9/11 there was a rescue purchased that wasnt a normal FDNY manufactorer. I think it was donated to the FDNY and I think it was called the "Spirit of Oklahoma" or some other state. Is that still in service and if so, where is it being used?

The "Spirit of Oklahoma" is a 2002 ALF built on a Freighliner chassis. It was indeed a donation and is used as a spare rig. For a brief period in the fall of 2004 it was put in service as Rescue Co. 6 in Lower Manhattan.

Mike Martinelli has two photos of it on his site.

First, lettered as "Rescue Services" (middle of the page)

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/specialunits/soc.htm

Then, as Rescue 6

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/manhattan/l20.htm

Fine looking rig. I agree it does look a lot like the 80's rigs. A little apparatus trivia for those who want to play: When was the last time the FDNY bought a rescue built entirely by one manufacturer? (Hint: the fact that American la France is/was owned by Frieghtliner doesn't count.)

this is a wild guess, and i am not going to give an exact date, but was it in the early 80's, when mack was making entire firetrucks. everything from the cab to the box in the back. this could be way off, and it is only a guess.

A little apparatus trivia for those who want to play: When  was the last time the FDNY bought a rescue built entirely by one manufacturer? (Hint: the fact that American la France is/was owned by Frieghtliner doesn't count.)

I'm sure you're probably referring to the 1948 era Mack L rescues, but don't forget that as of 1999 E-One has fully owned and operated Saulsbury as an integrated operation, making the 2002 rigs technically built entirely by a single manufacturer.

Well the Mack R's bodies were from Saulsbury so it has to be the 1940's / 1950's Mack trucks

Many of the bodies were built by specialty companies, going back a very long time. The 1979 Mack R rescues had Pierce bodies on them, the 1971 Mack R's before them had bodies built by Providence and so on. Everything built since the 1979 Mack/Pierce trucks have had a Saulsbury body, on either an ALF, Mack, HME or E-One chassis. This Pierce is the first fully bumper to bumper one manufacturer rescue in MANY decades.

yeah while i was walking to class i was thinking about the question and started to think that salsbbury made the rear half of the FDNY rescues. i guess my hunch was right. i was going to go back and change my answer but you beat me to it. my fault. we need another guess, some one has to know.

sweet rig...cant wait to see it on the streets.......wish we had something just that cool up here

Speaking of the Spirit of Oklahoma, she served as Rescue 4's rig for a whole year ('03-'04) while that rig was being repaired from her nasty accident! Ah, that rig!

-Joe DA BUFF

Speaking of the Spirit of Oklahoma, she served as Rescue 4's rig for a whole year ('03-'04) while that rig was being repaired from her nasty accident! Ah, that rig!

-Joe DA BUFF

What happened to Rescue 4 during 03-04?????????????

Now for the moment you've all been waiting for......The last rescue built bumper to bumper by 1 company was the 1939 Ward La France. Original home: rescue 1.

Stay safe and happy thanksgiving,

Jim

What happened to Rescue 4 during 03-04?????????????

They smacked into a tractor trailer on Queens Boulevard, about a half a mile from the firehouse. Smashed up the cab pretty bad, too. I have to say, I don't remember the last time I actually saw that rig out in the street. They were driving the 96 HME/Saulsbury spare(former R-4) not too long ago, and they were driving the Spirit of Oklahoma as early as two weeks ago when I buffed an all hands over in Jamaica. PS, the Spirit of Oklahoma was used as Rescue 6 during the summer/fall of 04, and there is another newer style Mack out there as a spare as well.

Edited by JBE

Now for the moment you've all been waiting for......The last rescue built bumper to bumper by 1 company was the 1939 Ward La France. Original home: rescue 1.

Stay safe and happy thanksgiving,

Jim

Ok, who did the body work on the Mack L's then in the 40's / 50's? I though that was all Mack?

Edited by IzzyEng4

What is the gereral feeling about the Freightliner.American La France that was donated by Oklahoma?

It's a pretty nice looking truck, but I'd be curious to know what the Res. Co. guys thing of it.

The only L Mack was the 1948 Mack LF/Approved. There was a Mack B delivered in 1959 with a body by Gerstenslager. The B model was the follow on to the L and looked very similar. In between these rigs were a total of three International/Diehl rigs.

Happy thanksgiving everyone,

Jim

They smacked into a tractor trailer on Queens Boulevard, about a half a mile from the firehouse. Smashed up the cab pretty bad, too. I have to say, I don't remember the last time I actually saw that rig out in the street. They were driving the 96 HME/Saulsbury spare(former R-4) not too long ago, and they were driving the Spirit of Oklahoma as early as two weeks ago when I buffed an all hands over in Jamaica. PS, the Spirit of Oklahoma was used as Rescue 6 during the summer/fall of 04, and there is another newer style Mack out there as a spare as well.

Hey JBE. They're still running the Spirit of Oklahoma. The '96 rig had major suspension problems, it was ready to fall apart!

Speaking of Rescue 4, they also ran the 1939 Ward LaFrance and had an accident with that one in the 50's; crashed into 136's old rig and the Ward apparently ohmy.gif burst into flames.

We'll see if Rescue 1's old rig goes to R-4. If it were up to me, R-1's would be the spare and R-4 would get the Spirit of Oklahoma. laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

-Joe DA BUFF

Edited by 10-Buff-4