This bill would amend the Retirement and Social Security Law to estab-

lish an optional 25-year retirement plan for emergency 911 operators and

dispatchers. Under the bill, a public employer could elect to provide

such a plan, which would provide its 911 personnel with a half-pay

pension at the completion of 25 years of service. All costs associated

with the plan would be borne by the employer over a five or ten year

period. The fiscal note attached to the bill estimates that participat-

ing employers would face increased annual pension costs of 2.1% of the

affected members' salaries, as well as a one-time prior service cost.

The bill would take effect on January 1, 2007.

While I appreciate the dedicated and important service of the emergen-

cy 911 operators and dispatchers, I am constrained to disapprove the

bill based on the objection of the New York State Association of Coun-

ties, which contends that the new pension benefits proposed by the bill

would result in increased pension costs for local governments and, ulti-

mately, for taxpayers. For this reason, I vetoed similar legislation in

2001, See Veto No. 58 of 2001.

___

The bill is disapproved. (signed) GEORGE E. PATAKI

This is the 4th or 5th time Gov Pataki has vetoed the 25 year retirement bill for 911 dispatchers. Originally he vetoed the bill because of disparity between NYC 911 and the rest of the state. Now it is because of the cost to the counties. We are the first First Responders to any incident and should be treated equally to the other Emergency Servies that already have 20 or 25 year retirerment. Right now I only have age 62 to look forward to. I hope that next year the new Governor will look more favorably at our situation..

From a management perspective, correct decision by the governor.

You are just jealous that if it was passed, you would still have had to wait until you are old, wait, u r there already....

Don't speak from a "management" perspective here. If it was on the block for your Department, you would have a different comment.

Then you would have just reached Florida earlier.

How was this a correct decision? Our state wastes millions of tax dollars a year on USELESS programs, failed programs, and high salaries for people who barely show up to work! But when it comes down to better benefits for people who provide a VITAL service to the taxpayers, you can't dish out any money?

DISGUSTING!!

This is a slap in the face to dispatchers statewide. As stated, dispatchers are just as much a part of the team as those who actually respond to the scene. I hope the dispatchers of this state are out there, schmoozing with the canidates for governor to know where they stand and to educate him, so that when this bill comes up again, it can get passed.

Dispatching is high stress work, and takes its physical and mental toll, same reason why FD and PD have 20 year retirments. Unfortunetly, their pensions are lumped in the same with clerical workers and janitors.

I think the dispatchers need stronger unions, a stronger capitol lobby, and hopefully a new administration that truly supports ALL of our emergency services personel.

As for the cost to local goverment, this is once again ignorance. What does it cost to continually recruit and train dispatch staff, a PROFESSION that has a high turnover rate? What does it cost agencies in efficiency to lose good dispatchers? A pension plan would help to attract and retain competent and experienced personel (in most cases)

Edited by x635

It is pretty sad that GP couldn't do the right thing by everyone else. I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I already have a 25 year retirement plan set up.

It is upsetting...some people I know were hoping for this so they could get out now. Does Mr. Pataky feel that the stress we are faced with is not as bad as a police officer? I am a dispatcher and would like to see a chance to leave after 25 years. But, there are those who are worse off. What about EMS workers. Most don't have a pensionable retirement at all so, for now I can live with this. But, I will continue to sign petitions to push the issue in front of the next governor!