Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Chocks On Both Sides?

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone have chocks stowed on both sides of their rigs?

Usually, the chocks are stowed on the drivers side, so they can be accesed and applied quicky without the driver having to go around to the other side. However, I do not see why they are not commonly found on the passenger side....their are times when one is in traffic, and placing the chocks on the drivers side puts you at uneccesary risk, when you can go around to the passenger side and chock there.

Also, do any departments have policies that DO NOT require chocks when an apparatus is parked?

We have a departmental order that when a rig is parked the front and the back side of the rear tires must be chocked

All of my dept.'s units have chocks on both sides. We are only required to chock when the unit will be operating, not if it's just parked outside a quick alarm or something like that.

Our aerials have chocks on both sides, as I suspect just about all do, but not our other trucks. Our policy is to set the chocks anytime the driver is out of the cab. At the least one chock in front of the rear wheel, preferred both sides of the rear wheel. The only exception to this is the aerials while they're actually being flown, in which case the policy is to chock both sides of both front wheels.

Does anyone have chocks stowed on both sides of their rigs?

their are times when one is in traffic, and placing the chocks on the drivers side puts you at uneccesary risk, when you can go around to the passenger side and chock there.

Driver is all ready exiting on that side of the vehicle. You are furthest out into traffic when exiting and entering the vehicle. If it really is that bad, first you sholdn't be on the road and secondly, you can allways place the chocks on the other side. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to remove the chocks from where they are stored.

Driver is all ready exiting on that side of the vehicle.  You are furthest out into traffic when exiting and entering the vehicle.  If it really is that bad, first you sholdn't be on the road and secondly, you can allways place the chocks on the other side.  It doesn't take more than a few seconds to remove the chocks from where they are stored.

And it doesn't take more then a few seconds to get hit by these drivers with total disregard. In many cases, you don't have an option, you have to be in the road...especially in older areas with tight and narrow streets. Anyone who has had to remove and in some cases unfold chocks while in a lane of traffic should know what I am talking about. It's dangerous, and I feel chocks, if they are a department order to apply, should be accesible from both sides of the apparatus.

Son, the proper positioning of the apparatus greatly enhances your ability to get out into the street without being struck. Park the apparatus like you are supposed to (like I trained you to) and you won't have a problem. Block the lane if you are going to operate. Those who tell you otherwise are wrong and will get you hurt.

No, you can't have another set of chocks! wink.gif

I do properly position always when possible as you taught me smile.gif . Sometimes it's impossible or very difficult to properly position, take East Hartsdale Avenue, North Washington Ave., Ridge Road, for example. I'm not talking so much about operating, but parking for BS EMS calls, routine stuff, etc. I try to locate on a side street or driveway where applicable, but sometimes those options don't exist. And even with proper positioning, these drivers still pose a danger.

Edited by x635

You still can't have your 3rd and 4th wheel chock cool.gif

What about chocks that put themselves down automatically? wink.gif

Now there's something for someone to invent!

Thanks again for the lessons which are always in the front of my mind going to runs.

What is interesting, and I am not anti-chocks I use them everytime the truck is parked outside of the FH, is that tractor trailers who weigh 80+tons do not use chocks. With the parking brake engaged the truck will not move, the main purpose of the chocks is to prevent the apparatus from driving away from you because of an operator error, ie putting the truck in pump or not putting it in gear.

What about chocks that put themselves down automatically?  wink.gif

Now there's something for someone to invent!

Thanks again for the lessons which are always in the front of my mind going to runs.

Done! I saw them the other day when we got an oil delivery at home. The truck had front and rear hydraullically deployed chocks on the drivers side, as well as On Spot chains. I figure our oil dealer now considers home fuel oil "precious cargo".

Edited by antiquefirelt

While we are it what about an automatic stabilizer for aerials like once you get out push one button the stabilizers come down with the steel plates already welded to the stabilizers

While we are it what about an automatic stabilizer for aerials like once you get out push one button the stabilizers come down with the steel plates already welded to the stabilizers

This too has been done. Well maybe not oversized plates, but KME has one button deployable jacks. I've yet to hear anyone who has them say they work well though. I think a few others have this option also.

What is interesting, and I am not anti-chocks I use them everytime the truck is parked outside of the FH, is that tractor trailers who weigh 80+tons do not use chocks.  With the parking brake engaged the truck will not move, the main purpose of the chocks is to prevent the apparatus from driving away from you because of an operator error, ie putting the truck in pump or not putting it in gear.

Not the new larger spring-loaded folding chocks, but I have seen apparatus drive over some the smaller one piece chocks.

Personally, I feel chocks should be used at all times. We've already had 2 guys in my Dept. retire on 207A because the air brakes failed and the rig pinned them against a fence back in the 80's. Also, if you fail to put the engine into pump correctly, and then throttle up, you can build up enough air pressure to overide the air brakes and cause the apparattus to move. This also happened to us one night and the engine slammed into a tree at a job. Thank God it was the second due engine and the fire was already knocked down. They're there for a reason. Use them! Stay Safe! wink.gif

Good topic to bring up.

Anyone else get a kick out of tow operators that are using the winch to pull a car from a ditch without a chock - and the wrecker moves?! Makes me look for a place to watch that is out of the path it's going to roll.

Also, I get a kick out of apparatus that get chocked on the rear side of the wheel if it is parked uphill. Chock both sides - if that rig is jumping into gear, it sure as hell can climb the hill.

Chock it everytime so it becomes second nature. Don't wait to do it just when you are pumping, that's my take.