Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BIGRED1

RI Nightclub Owners Sentenced in Fatal Fire

5 posts in this topic

Rhode Island Nightclub Owners Sentenced in Fatal Fire

Story by thebostonchannel.com

There will be no jail time at all for one of the owners of The Station nightclub, where 100 people died after an explosive fire tore through the club in February 2003.

NewsCenter 5's Gail Huff reported that the club owners, brothers Jeffrey and Michael Derderian, pleaded no contest to involuntary manslaughter charges for the deaths at the Warwick, R.I., nightclub. It means technically that they have accepted criminal responsibility in the case. Had they gone to trial and been convicted, they could have spent a great deal more time in jail.

Under the plea agreement, club owner Michael Derderian will be sentenced to four years in a minimum security prison, followed by 11 years suspended and three years probation. His brother, Jeffrey Derderian, will receive a suspended 10-year sentence, with three years probation, along with 500 hours of community service.

Discuss the Plea

Reaction to the deal was swift as victims' relatives heard about the plea agreement through the evening news Wednesday.

"They're guilty as sin. I mean, the proof is there. The building isn't there any more," Don Latulippe said. He lost his son Dale in the nightclub fire. "Now I'm a little upset, very upset, because I feel, -- and I've known this right along -- that they were going to get off somewhat."

The fire began when pyrotechnics used in a show put on by the band Great White ignited soundproofing foam placed around the stage. The blaze quickly ripped through the club, trapping many concertgoers inside. It was the fourth deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history.

The plea deal came as Michael Derderian's criminal trial was about to begin. Jury selection had begun. He pleaded guilty to 15 years in prison but will serve only four in a minimum security work release program. His brother, a former TV news reporter in Boston, will receive a suspended sentence and serve no prison time, instead serving community service hours.

Rhode Island Attorney General Patrick Lynch was outraged. In a letter written to family members he said, " I respectfully disagree with and object to the sentences that the court intends to impose on Michael Derderian and Jeffrey Derderian. Most significantly, I disagree with the court's intention to sentence Jeffrey Derderian to less than jail."

"I wanted to throw up. I couldn't believe it. This was supposed to be our justice for everything that happened. For all these people," said Michelle Hall, a sister of one of the victims.

"There's no justice for my daughter. There's no justice for the other 99," said another victim's relative.

One of the fire survivors said the deal was wrong because the Derderians have not paid for their negligence.

"Their futures are wide open for them. They didn't miss their birthdays. They're not missing their cousins, sons, daughters, wives, fiances," said one of the victims.

The Derderians sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 29. They were charged with 200 counts involuntary manslaughter for operating their club with criminal negligence and committing a misdemeanor offense of installing the non-flame retardant foam.

Edited by ECLEMENTE

I think that their punishment is crazy they got off so easy, when I believe that they shouldnt have. Who came up with this deal they have to be crazy

That's disgusting and insulting that they were even allowed to plea considering their gross negligence. Over 100 people died in this fire, and countless more were critically injured. Not to mention the suffering of the families. And they system allows them to plea?

Under the plea agreement, club owner Michael Derderian will be sentenced to four years in a minimum security prison, followed by 11 years suspended and three years probation. His brother, Jeffrey Derderian, will receive a suspended 10-year sentence, with three years probation, along with 500 hours of community service.

They men responsible got 4 years in jail, probation, and community service for killing over a hundred people that is insane. I hope that the families can sue them for everything that they have.

they got a light sentence what a bunch of garbage they got off easy. Alot of people died in that fire I hope the families sue the crap out these two morons.